It's insulting and inaccurate to assume Jews are religious

As far as I know, Judaism plays a pretty big role in the Jewish identity whether an individual is secular or not.
Chosen people, real or not, Jews came from the Burning Bush. They can't run away from it. God chose them. It's like denying that your father brought you into the world. A secular Jew is an oxymoron.
As far as I know, Judaism plays a pretty big role in the Jewish identity whether an individual is secular or not.
Putting aside Sree's hilarious burning bush fantasies, I suspect that you are partially (as usual) correct. I also suspect that there are some Jews who don't give a flying flip about Judaism.
I also suspect that there are some Jews who don’t give a flying flip about Judaism.
That is like saying there are some Muslims who don't give a flying flip about Islam. Such Muslims drink whiskey as some Jews eat bacon. It's like a guy who doesn't give a flying flip about being a man. Such guys put on make-up and wear women clothes.
That is like saying there are some Muslims who don’t give a flying flip about Islam.
Not exactly. If your mom is a Jew, then you are considered to be a Jew, but you may have never learned a thing about Judaism. And you might not care about any religion. Whereas, to be Muslim, you only have to say you are Muslim and that you believe some of the doctrine. And you can stop being a Muslim by simply saying so. (Though, in that case, other Muslims might kill you.)
It’s like a guy who doesn’t give a flying flip about being a man. Such guys put on make-up and wear women clothes.
You are ridiculously hilarious with some of the stuff you come up with. Idk, but I'm guessing they enjoy it. You don't think a man can enjoy sexual kinks? You need some sessions with Dr Ruth.

@sree

… there are some Jews who don’t give a flying flip about Judaism. >> That is like saying there are some Muslims who don’t give a flying flip about Islam

It’s difficult to know how to put this more simply.

Jews are an ethnic group. Some are religious, the majority are not.

Muslims are a religious group. They are all religious by definition.

We shouldn’t treat them both as equally religious groups.

It’s difficult to know how to put this more simply.

It’s easy to oversimplify. Yes you can look at some of their DNA and determine they were descended from some tribe. After that, it’s a large spectrum, from fundamentalists that the ancient tribe wouldn’t recognize, to those who go to Synagogue but don’t believe, to those who have no connection to the culture at all.

Depending on how you interpret the numbers, you could be right about saying “majority”

Says you. Let’s look at what Wikipedia says:

“Jews or Jewish people are an ethnoreligious group and a nation, originating from the Israelites and Hebrews of historical Israel and Judah. Jewish ethnicity, nationhood, and religion are strongly interrelated, as Judaism is the ethnic religion of the Jewish people, while its observance varies from strict observance to complete nonobservance.”

Muslims are a religious group. They are all religious by definition.
The difference between Islam and Judaism is that while anyone can become a Muslim no one can choose to become a Jew. Embracing Islam is as easy as putting on a fur coat. Anybody can do it: put it on or, be an apostate, and take it off. Being a Jew is to be the critter itself, coat and all. A secular Jew is a coyote prancing around without its coat. I have never seen one. Have you?
The difference between Islam and Judaism is that while anyone can become a Muslim no one can choose to become a Jew. Embracing Islam is as easy as putting on a fur coat. Anybody can do it: put it on or, be an apostate, and take it off. Being a Jew is to be the critter itself, coat and all. A secular Jew is a coyote prancing around without its coat. I have never seen one. Have you?
If being wrong were a misdemeanor, Sree, you would have a life sentence due to being a chronic repeat offender.

Actually, someone can become a religious Jew without having been born a Jew. It is not particularly easy, but it is possible.

But if you were born a Jew (via a Jewish mother), then you can be considered to be a Jew whether or not you have any religiosity.

When you are wrong, do you have to draw attention to it with absurdities? Really. A hairless coyote?

Actually, someone can become a religious Jew without having been born a Jew. It is not particularly easy, but it is possible.
The Rabbi wouldn't accept you anymore than the Chinese police would accept a self-declared Iraqi ex-Muslim atheist. No open borders except in liberal America.
But if you were born a Jew (via a Jewish mother), then you can be considered to be a Jew whether or not you have any religiosity.
Do you know why? Only suckers accept anchor babies.
When you are wrong, do you have to draw attention to it with absurdities? Really. A hairless coyote?
A skinless coyote. Get it right. A sloppy mind is a liberal's workshop.

Sree, you have the arguing skills of a skinless coyote.

@philip456, I started reading this thread thinking it was gonna be weird because of course Judaism is one of the three Abrahamic sibling Religions, plain and simple fact. (well as much as anything religious can be factual)

But your case is simple, well written and tough for me to argue with. It’s an interesting perspective that does deserve way more attention than I would have thought,

until you took the time to make a point of writing about it and bringing it to our attention.

Thank you.

Sree, you have the arguing skills of a skinless coyote.
I wasn't arguing. I was lobbing counter-measures like a US nuclear submarine to divert incoming torpedoes. This is a sensitive topic.

Topics aren’t sensitive, people are. I am not saying anything to hurt anyone’s feelings, I am supporting what I recognize to be true and “torpedoing” the lies and the absurdities.

The truth is that it IS inaccurate to assume that all Jews are religious.

Most of what Sree says is absurd.