Is anyone else around here impressed with these high school kids?

§
A small 17 minute walkout and a public school administers corporal punishment

By annieli - Wednesday Mar 14, 2018
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/3/14/1749159/-a-small-17-minute-walkout-and-a-public-school-administers-corporal-punishment

Jerusalem Greer @JerusalemGreer My kid and two other students walked out of their rural, very conservative, public school for 17 minutes today. They were given two punishment options. They chose corporal punishment. This generation is not playing around. #walkout 2:06 PM - Mar 14, 2018
Sarah Thomas @Sarahhasstories Replying to @JerusalemGreer @PattyArquette I'm shocked that you can't forbid it, as their parent. In Alabama, in the 1980s, my mom could and did.
Jerusalem Greer @JerusalemGreer We could have, but it was his choice and we supported him. He wanted to take a stand. 6:38 PM - Mar 14, 2018
‘They’re not gonna knock us down.’ Thousands join Stoneman Douglas students in walkout. BY KYRA GURNEY, MARTIN VASSOLO AND DAVID SMILEY Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article204984979.html “Adults will tell us we’re too young to understand and that our voices won’t make a difference, but today at this walkout, we’re here to prove them wrong," said Camille Garcia-Mendoza, a senior who marched out of Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart in Coconut Grove. “Every phone call to our local representatives, every email to your senator, every voter registration drive and every sign held up in protest is weakening the gun lobby and bringing us one step closer to change."
“They’re not gonna knock us down," the chorus went. “We’ll get back up again." And then, mixed with students from a nearby middle school, they walked to Pine Trails Park down the street, where they promised to keep the pressure on America’s politicians to change the nation’s gun laws and prevent another shooting like the one at their school that rocked the country exactly one month earlier.
:long:

It is awesome to see how access to the internet has increased the knowledge and ability for logical thinking in our teen-agers, as compared to say 50 years ago.

I am in awe of these kids. We, the adult have failed them and ourselves when it comes to taking leadership on serious matters. Often I have felt our nation was on the skids but I am invigorated by our youth and see our future with much more hope than I did just a few days ago.

They got my vote. These political actions show that the schools are out of control. Cut down the funding for education would be the best step. These posts are cherry picking, but overall this was a political move by the teachers that should not be allowed. We have had many news reports of teachers voicing their political views in the classroom. It was just a matter of time before something like this was going to take place. The teachers should not be allowed to unionize, and funding should be reduced until the schools can get back to covering the basic education for the students. Anyone that can’t see that this is bait and switch needs to go back to school.

They got my vote. These political actions show that the schools are out of control.
unbelievable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA0glbG6c-8
They got my vote. These political actions show that the schools are out of control.
unbelievable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA0glbG6c-8 So, you think that politicalizing the children is sane thinking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nNA8YIekBI
So, you think that politicalizing the children is sane thinking?
No what's insane is you maliciously trying to make the teachers the scapegoats. That's all your type seems good at - feeling holier than thou, and blaming everything on everyone else, with the most paranoid machinations. :long:
Pennridge High School students turn Saturday detention into another day of protest against gun violence By Binghui Huang and Jacqueline Palochko
http://www.mcall.com/news/education/mc-nws-pennridge-students-detention-protest-20180318-story.html
Pennridge High School students — calling themselves #Pennridge 225 — turned what was supposed to be a Saturday detention into another form of protest against gun violence. The 46 students were the first group of about 225 Pennridge High School students slated to serve detention for walking out of class Wednesday. The students linked arms and wore the names of gun violence victims pinned on their clothing. They placed flowers in a center of a circle. A video of the students sitting on the floor of their school cafeteria on Saturday has been spreading on social media, prompting messages of support from prominent gun control advocates and celebrities. ... ... While students served detention inside, outside dozens of community members held signs to support the students.

No, I am not trying to make teachers the scapegoats. They are in charge and they are to blame. Do all the dancing and side stepping that you think justifies you point of view. But using the children for political reasons is wrong.
This push is nothing more than a political tribe step. Once people join a tribe, being wrong and not good for the country does not matter. Staying with the tribe is the goal. These teachers are getting the children to join a tribe. This action will most likely take years or decades for the kids to reason their way out of the tribe. Kids tend to over-react and expect property damage and even deaths down the road. Yes, the teachers and schools are to blame.
From the internet. Humans are tribal. We need to belong to groups. In many parts of the world, the group identities that matter most – the ones that people will kill and die for – are ethnic, religious, sectarian, or clan-based. But because America tends to see the world in terms of nation-states engaged in great ideological battles – Capitalism vs. Communism, Democracy vs. Authoritarianism, the “Free World" vs. the “Axis of Evil" – we are often spectacularly blind to the power of tribal politics. Time and again this blindness has undermined American foreign policy. In the Vietnam War, viewing the conflict through Cold War blinders, we never saw that most of Vietnam’s “capitalists" were members of the hated Chinese minority. Every pro-free-market move we made helped turn the Vietnamese people against us. In Iraq, we were stunningly dismissive of the hatred between that country’s Sunnis and Shias. If we want to get our foreign policy right – so as to not be perpetually caught off guard and fighting unwinnable wars – the United States has to come to grips with political tribalism abroad. Just as Washington’s foreign policy establishment has been blind to the power of tribal politics outside the country, so too have American political elites been oblivious to the group identities that matter most to ordinary Americans – and that are tearing the United States apart. As the stunning rise of Donald Trump laid bare, identity politics have seized both the American left and right in an especially dangerous, racially inflected way. In America today, every group feels threatened: whites and blacks, Latinos and Asians, men and women, liberals and conservatives, and so on. There is a pervasive sense of collective persecution and discrimination. On the left, this has given rise to increasingly radical and exclusionary rhetoric of privilege and cultural appropriation. On the right, it has fueled a disturbing rise in xenophobia and white nationalism. In characteristically persuasive style, Amy Chua argues that America must rediscover a national identity that transcends our political tribes. Enough false slogans of unity, which are just another form of divisiveness. It is time for a more difficult unity that acknowledges the reality of group differences and fights the deep inequities that divide us. Internet.

No, I am not trying to make teachers the scapegoats. They are in charge and they are to blame. Do all the dancing and side stepping that you think justifies you point of view. But using the children for political reasons is wrong.
Obviously you don't know many young teenagers. All you seem to know is paranoid fiction ideation. But then you're the same guy who refuses to wrap his head around the scientific fact that greenhouse gases dictate how much heat is held within Earth's biosphere (since the sun ain't been doing nothing out of the ordinary).
So, you think that politicalizing the children is sane thinking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nNA8YIekBI
Sorry, I lost my patience on watching this video. Could you explain how it is related to the question you asked? In any case, allowing school-age children to start thinking rationally about real life, including politics, is certainly better than 'sane'; it is good. It is a lot saner than the gun-nut culture of the USA. BTW: I am surprised that children can still be given corporal punishments in schools the USA!
So, you think that politicalizing the children is sane thinking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nNA8YIekBI
Sorry, I lost my patience on watching this video. Could you explain how it is related to the question you asked? In any case, allowing school-age children to start thinking rationally about real life, including politics, is certainly better than 'sane'; it is good. It is a lot saner than the gun-nut culture of the USA. BTW: I am surprised that children can still be given corporal punishments in schools the USA! Yes, CC posted a sarcastic video on the issue. I post a video that related to the subject matter. That is politicalizing children. The video is about Hitler’s youth. Hitler politicalized the children in his country. The children would turn the parents into the state for political reasons. The children ended up using guns and fighting for the country. That is not what most American’s want. A few years back the schools were allowing school to hold youth group church and political meeting at the schools. It was decided that these types of operations were not to be allowed at schools. This week the teachers backed doored the children in on this political action. That is wrong. Ten to one, CC did not want these church groups holding meetings at school. Now, it political and something the democrats are backing, so it’s ok. Where’s the morals in that? I don’t know where you come up with this being anywhere close to rational thinking. What texts book did this type of lesson come out of? Please explain how two side of the gun issue was discussed. Where is the demonstration for the other side of the issue taking place? What is rational about tribalizing our youth? Saying this is better that gun-nut culture is an opinion that should not be made by children. In real life, unless you work for the government you don’t get paid to do political demonstrations. In real life they should have meet after school or on the weekend at a park and demonstrated all they wanted. No problem. Even seventeen minutes of silence at the school for the victims would have been fine. But to step into the political issues on school time is wrong. Turning the kids into snowflakes is also wrong.
Sorry, I lost my patience on watching this video. Could you explain how it is related to the question you asked? In any case, allowing school-age children to start thinking rationally about real life, including politics, is certainly better than 'sane'; it is good. It is a lot saner than the gun-nut culture of the USA. BTW: I am surprised that children can still be given corporal punishments in schools the USA! Yes, CC posted a sarcastic video on the issue. I post a video that related to the subject matter. That is politicalizing children. The video is about Hitler’s youth. Hitler politicalized the children in his country. The children would turn the parents into the state for political reasons. The children ended up using guns and fighting for the country. That is not what most American’s want. A few years back the schools were allowing school to hold youth group church and political meeting at the schools. It was decided that these types of operations were not to be allowed at schools. This week the teachers backed doored the children in on this political action. That is wrong. Ten to one, CC did not want these church groups holding meetings at school. Now, it political and something the democrats are backing, so it’s ok. Where’s the morals in that? I don’t know where you come up with this being anywhere close to rational thinking. What texts book did this type of lesson come out of? Please explain how two side of the gun issue was discussed. Where is the demonstration for the other side of the issue taking place? What is rational about tribalizing our youth? Saying this is better that gun-nut culture is an opinion that should not be made by children. In real life, unless you work for the government you don’t get paid to do political demonstrations. In real life they should have meet after school or on the weekend at a park and demonstrated all they wanted. No problem. Even seventeen minutes of silence at the school for the victims would have been fine. But to step into the political issues on school time is wrong. Turning the kids into snowflakes is also wrong. How about religious indoctrination. Are you telling me that is not politicalization of children?
Please explain how two side of the gun issue was discussed. Where is the demonstration for the other side of the issue taking place? What is rational about tribalizing our youth? Saying this is better that gun-nut culture is an opinion that should not be made by children. In real life, unless you work for the government you don’t get paid to do political demonstrations. In real life they should have meet after school or on the weekend at a park and demonstrated all they wanted. No problem. Even seventeen minutes of silence at the school for the victims would have been fine. But to step into the political issues on school time is wrong. Turning the kids into snowflakes is also wrong.
The 'other side' is irrational about guns. The adult 'leaders', and population in general (including you and me) should be ashamed that these young children have to miss their classes to demand their safety at the school. This kind of activities by children and young adults in schools and colleges happens more in the lawless third-world countries; it should not need to happen in a developed country like the USA. Of course, under acceptable circumstances students should learn and do some politics only as extracurricular activities without taking time off from their curricular activities.
Sorry, I lost my patience on watching this video. Could you explain how it is related to the question you asked? In any case, allowing school-age children to start thinking rationally about real life, including politics, is certainly better than 'sane'; it is good. It is a lot saner than the gun-nut culture of the USA. BTW: I am surprised that children can still be given corporal punishments in schools the USA! Yes, CC posted a sarcastic video on the issue. I post a video that related to the subject matter. That is politicalizing children. The video is about Hitler’s youth. Hitler politicalized the children in his country. The children would turn the parents into the state for political reasons. The children ended up using guns and fighting for the country. That is not what most American’s want. A few years back the schools were allowing school to hold youth group church and political meeting at the schools. It was decided that these types of operations were not to be allowed at schools. This week the teachers backed doored the children in on this political action. That is wrong. Ten to one, CC did not want these church groups holding meetings at school. Now, it political and something the democrats are backing, so it’s ok. Where’s the morals in that? I don’t know where you come up with this being anywhere close to rational thinking. What texts book did this type of lesson come out of? Please explain how two side of the gun issue was discussed. Where is the demonstration for the other side of the issue taking place? What is rational about tribalizing our youth? Saying this is better that gun-nut culture is an opinion that should not be made by children. In real life, unless you work for the government you don’t get paid to do political demonstrations. In real life they should have meet after school or on the weekend at a park and demonstrated all they wanted. No problem. Even seventeen minutes of silence at the school for the victims would have been fine. But to step into the political issues on school time is wrong. Turning the kids into snowflakes is also wrong. How about religious indoctrination. Are you telling me that is not politicalization of children? Of course, it is. But not allowed in public schools.
They got my vote. These political actions show that the schools are out of control. Cut down the funding for education would be the best step. These posts are cherry picking, but overall this was a political move by the teachers that should not be allowed. We have had many news reports of teachers voicing their political views in the classroom. It was just a matter of time before something like this was going to take place. The teachers should not be allowed to unionize, and funding should be reduced until the schools can get back to covering the basic education for the students. Anyone that can’t see that this is bait and switch needs to go back to school.
Are you trying to be funny? You bash the school, suggest cutting funding, then say we should go back to school? What school? A one room school house in a wheat field somewhere with wood floors? I have a friend who has gone down the rabbit of conspiracy theories like you. He also has this "they are exploiting the children" thing. Here's the thing; that's only true if everything else you say is true. The teachers are not out of control, the government is not indoctrinating our children, unions are not supporting bad teachers, cutting funding won't make people work harder or "get back to basics". All of those problems have been studied and are being studied and there is pretty good data on what's really happening. Kids standing up for themselves is not them being exploited. Also, them meeting after hours would not have resulted in a gun control bill in Florida. Protest is only protest if it is done publicly and in a way that disrupts the normal conveniences of life.
Please explain how two side of the gun issue was discussed. Where is the demonstration for the other side of the issue taking place? What is rational about tribalizing our youth? Saying this is better that gun-nut culture is an opinion that should not be made by children. In real life, unless you work for the government you don’t get paid to do political demonstrations. In real life they should have meet after school or on the weekend at a park and demonstrated all they wanted. No problem. Even seventeen minutes of silence at the school for the victims would have been fine. But to step into the political issues on school time is wrong. Turning the kids into snowflakes is also wrong.
The 'other side' is irrational about guns. The adult 'leaders', and population in general (including you and me) should be ashamed that these young children have to miss their classes to demand their safety at the school. This kind of activities by children and young adults in schools and colleges happens more in the lawless third-world countries; it should not need to happen in a developed country like the USA. Of course, under acceptable circumstances students should learn and do some politics only as extracurricular activities without taking time off from their curricular activities. You see this as educational for the children. I do not. I see this as tribalizing the youth. And that is not educating. That is doing the opposite. I had gone to over thirty schools. So, I got to view a lot of the differences in the schools. The third school I went to had a gun rack in the hall for the students. So, it was not about the guns back then. It only became about the guns as the people changed. I would have to say the people changed and not the guns from a logical view point. I was asked by the head of the largest school district in the United States to look at labor leasing for teachers. The problem was that the school district spent half its time in lawsuits from the parents. The other half the time in lawsuits from the teachers and the teacher’s union. No time to work on education. I could not help because the education management was all legal and political. No room for logic. Point being is that one size does not fit all. And that is what the federalizing of the schools is requiring. From what I can find on the internet there has been no shootings in private schools and only one shooting in a religious school. Wikipedia lists 576 students killed and 901 injured in shootings at schools. As far as being irrational about guns. Well I am going to have to be irrational as long as we live in a country with a Deep State and secret courts, secret judges and secret court rulings. Along with government officials who can lie under oath to congress and nothing happens.

The people changed?
I am so tired of that one.
AR-15s were not sold in quantity until the 90s. The guns changed. If any people changed, it’s the number of peolpe that believe what NRA says about the 2nd amendment.