Irony of democracy

I get this often. Sometimes here at CFI. Usually from people who think I’m being fooled by some sort liberal conspiracy. The roots of it are scarey.

Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people.

A representative democracy is an imperfect one, by definition, as the representatives are not the the represented.

A perfect democracy being impossible, let’s stick to the imperfect one, and let’us try to better it.

Representative majority means that the majority representatives govern.

It also means that the minority rights must be respected and protected.

1 Like

I like the quote from the article, “a collie is a dog, it’s not an animal”. Obviously it’s both, just like we have democracy that has representation. The concept of “majority” is well documented in our history.

1 Like

I’ve heard that statement a lot and have learned to prepare for it, but not how to debate it.

Blockquote A republic is defined as “A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to them,” whereas a democracy is defined as “Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.”

When the Repugs are in power, the above is exactly what we have, because they are being paid to serve the 1%.

Since the dotard, it’s gotten even scarier.

Well said.

Let’s add that a republic and a democracy are not mutually exclusive.

2 Likes