Iowa Primary always first: Unfair

In Presidential primaries, the states that have the early primaries have an inordinate impact on choosing, and shaping the messages of, prospective nominees.
That it is always Iowa and New Hampshire, seems particularly egregious, since they are not particularly representative of political diversity, and not representative, much at all, of demographic diversity.
It would be much fairer, I think, if soon after the completion of each Presidential election, a lottery were used to determine the order of the subsequent primaries.
For simplicity’s sake, each state could have an equal chance re: their order in the next Presidential primary cycle. Or if we truly wanted to be democratic, states that have existing political and demographic diversity could be given a correspondingly better chance in the lottery.

I think it would be more equitable if we held primaries the same way we held the presidential election. We all vote at the same time. It might also be preferable if everyone could vote in the primaries ( all voters get to vote in both the republican and democratic primaries) so that candidates weren’t chose by the voters at the fringes. We need a moderate middle of the road leader who can work with both parties, not a polarizing extremist.

I heard a suggestion once that made sense. Have regional primaries, still by state, but group them regionally, and rotate their order.

I think it would be more equitable if we held primaries the same way we held the presidential election. We all vote at the same time...
That sounds better to me than the current system.
I heard a suggestion once that made sense. Have regional primaries, still by state, but group them regionally, and rotate their order.
that sounds much better to me than the current system.

It will never be done that way. It would lose so much of its circus atmosphere.
Lois

It will never be done that way. It would lose so much of its circus atmosphere. Lois
The political parties are definitely vested in the current system, because it gives them (at least a perception of) some control over the process and the outcome. But with the political establishments taking a wallop, this time around, perhaps they would be open to a change. But probably not.