In God's Image

If we’re made in God’s image, and presumably proper society is too, AND if we should strive to be like God and Jesus, then:

• Was God married? To whom?
  • Since Jesus wasn’t married, should I divorce my wife?
  • Since Jesus didn’t have children, should I put mine up for adoption? To Whom?
  • If we’re all God’s children, does he love Muslims too?
  • If God loves some of his children more than others, like Christians more than Muslims or Commie Atheists, is it ok if I love one of my kids more than the other? And favor them accordingly?
  • If we are made in God’s image, what about dolphins?
1 Like
If we're made in God's image, and presumably proper society is too, AND if we should strive to be like God and Jesus, then: - Was God married? To whom? - Since Jesus wasn't married, should I divorce my wife? - Since Jesus didn't have children, should I put mine up for adoption? To Whom? - If we're all God's children, does he love Muslims too? - If God loves some of his children more than others, like Christians more than Muslims or Commie Atheists, is it ok if I love one of my kids more than the other? And favor them accordingly? - If we are made in God's image, what about dolphins?
Only that last question was half interesting, since from the first sentence my minime was screaming: Well what the hell about the rest of creation?

Why strive to be like Jesus?
Jesus was a teach, an image and story to help show us how to deal with ourselves as we’re put through the trials of our own human life.
To help us traverse the challenging path of growing from a self-centered selfish child to a balanced productive adult.

If we're made in God's image, and presumably proper society is too, AND if we should strive to be like God and Jesus, then: ?
CuthbertJ, It is possible that we were created in God’s image. It is written in the oldest genesis stories that the God’s created man. Not just one, but several types of man. The main reason given for this was that man was needed to do the heavy work, like building the water canals. Thus, one would have to think that the Gods were not built for this type of work. The stories are that the lower Gods were complaining and their backs were hurting. Now, you might ask, “How is it possible for the gods to have created man?" If you think about it, just about everything you eat was created by the gods, except fish. Look at what the gods did with the tree bird known today as the chicken. Look at how they added one more rib to the horse to make it bigger for work. Look at what they did to cattle, sheep and goats. Dogs are another good example. What about man? The white man was said to have evolved in northern Europe. Just in the last year it has been proven that there is no evidence of the white man evolving in northern Europe. They are now saying, maybe in Eastern Europe, next to Asia. Well, they just keep getting closer to the Garden of Eden, don’t they. And the big question is, if the white man did not evolve, then was he created? Just like the fruit, vegetables, nuts and animals that we know today. So, the dolphins would be natural, like fish, thus a good symbol for people who believed in deities.
If we're made in God's image, and presumably proper society is too, AND if we should strive to be like God and Jesus, then: ?
CuthbertJ, It is possible that we were created in God’s image. It is written in the oldest genesis stories that the God’s created man. Not just one, but several types of man. The main reason given for this was that man was needed to do the heavy work, like building the water canals. Thus, one would have to think that the Gods were not built for this type of work. The stories are that the lower Gods were complaining and their backs were hurting. Now, you might ask, “How is it possible for the gods to have created man?" If you think about it, just about everything you eat was created by the gods, except fish. Look at what the gods did with the tree bird known today as the chicken. Look at how they added one more rib to the horse to make it bigger for work. Look at what they did to cattle, sheep and goats. Dogs are another good example. What about man? The white man was said to have evolved in northern Europe. Just in the last year it has been proven that there is no evidence of the white man evolving in northern Europe. They are now saying, maybe in Eastern Europe, next to Asia. Well, they just keep getting closer to the Garden of Eden, don’t they. And the big question is, if the white man did not evolve, then was he created? Just like the fruit, vegetables, nuts and animals that we know today. So, the dolphins would be natural, like fish, thus a good symbol for people who believed in deities.Total nonsense......you like drugs, don't you?
If we're made in God's image, and presumably proper society is too, AND if we should strive to be like God and Jesus, then: Was God married? To whom?
No mention of that, but god isn't supposed to be human.
Since Jesus wasn't married, should I divorce my wife?
No mention of this.
Since Jesus didn't have children, should I put mine up for adoption? To Whom?
No mention of this, either.
If we're all God's children, does he love Muslims too?
Yes. Anyone who accepts him is saved.
If God loves some of his children more than others, like Christians more than Muslims or Commie Atheists, is it ok if I love one of my kids more than the other? And favor them accordingly?
Nothing scriptured says anything like this.
If we are made in God's image, what about dolphins?
They're not humans, and thus don't receive god's grace. Your questions are lame.
If we're made in God's image, and presumably proper society is too, AND if we should strive to be like God and Jesus, then: Was God married? To whom?
No mention of that, but god isn't supposed to be human.
Since Jesus wasn't married, should I divorce my wife?
No mention of this.
Since Jesus didn't have children, should I put mine up for adoption? To Whom?
No mention of this, either.
If we're all God's children, does he love Muslims too?
Yes. Anyone who accepts him is saved.
If God loves some of his children more than others, like Christians more than Muslims or Commie Atheists, is it ok if I love one of my kids more than the other? And favor them accordingly?
Nothing scriptured says anything like this.
They're not humans, and thus don't receive god's grace. Your questions are lame.My questions were sarcastic and meant to indicate how ludicrous and hypocritical Christians are in their beliefs. Honestly even a dolphin would have seen that. That you didn't, well....

Obvious sarcasm is obvious, and there are things in the Bible for some of them despite mid atlantic’s protests.
Bart Ehrmann has a theory about Jesus believing when the end times came we would lose our sexual differences. There’s something in there about taking a mate if you really need the sex, but if you can live without it, might as well start living the non-sexual life now.

In gods image. When I hear words like this, first I ask which of the thousands of gods is the god of the day on this issue.

If man is made in god’s image, what color is his skin? What’s his hair color and texture? What is his eye color? What’s his height? What is his body shape? Ectomorph? Mesomorph? Endomorph?
Come on. Give us something to go on! Which is it?
I haven’t even asked what his gender is.
Lois

If we're made in God's image, and presumably proper society is too, AND if we should strive to be like God and Jesus, then: - Was God married? To whom? - Since Jesus wasn't married, should I divorce my wife? - Since Jesus didn't have children, should I put mine up for adoption? To Whom? - If we're all God's children, does he love Muslims too? - If God loves some of his children more than others, like Christians more than Muslims or Commie Atheists, is it ok if I love one of my kids more than the other? And favor them accordingly?
What about murderers? Are they created in God's image? And what would that make God?
A deep religious thinker would reply that "god's image" is just a metaphor and does indeed translate to everything in existence. But then God is no longer the God as described in scripture, but a metaphysical condition from which reality and ALL that is, was, and will be created. Of course that removes the "special" status of man in the scheme of thing. Is it possible that God was created in man's image?

As an atheist, I believe here is an example of properly applied religious beliefs based on the physical environment and not on a metaphysical and removed deity, in who’s image man was created.

“When your gods are also your family and the elements of nature are their physical presence, your relationship with nature is transformed." — Sam Ohu Gon III
It actually is a modern replay of the story of man's fall from Eden.
To take from the land without thinking of what you're doing to it would be, as Gon says, “a direct and conscious prostitution of not only a family member, but an elder. And what right-thinking person would do that?"
http://www.upworthy.com/they-survived-1000-years-in-the-middle-of-the-pacific-and-then-we-arrived?c=reccon2
If man is made in god's image, what color is his skin? What's his hair color and texture? What is his eye color? What's his height? What is his body shape? Ectomorph? Mesomorph? Endomorph? Come on. Give us something to go on! Which is it? I haven't even asked what his gender is. Lois
OK, God is multilingual, anyone who cares to listen will understand Him...
Is it possible that God was created in man’s image?
Ya think? Let's see, God is vengeful (sending bears to kill kids who mock his prophet), angry ( having his minions destroy whole cities because they don't worship him), jealous ( see the former), misogynostic (turns a woman into salt, blames women in general for "sin" and punishes them with childbirth pain), sadistic (sets up his first human creation by planting a knowledge tree and daring them to eat it's fruit, knowing full well they'll do it out of curiosity which he gave them anyway, masochistic ( turns himself into a human so he will be killed, of course he gets to meet himself again in another existence which is totally mind blowing when you think about it, does this prove the multiverse theory?) totalitarian (see the Mosaic code) but as George Carlin says: "he loves us"! (Sociopath). Cap't Jack
Is it possible that God was created in man’s image?
Ya think? Let's see, God is vengeful (sending bears to kill kids who mock his prophet), angry ( having his minions destroy whole cities because they don't worship him), jealous ( see the former), misogynostic (turns a woman into salt, blames women in general for "sin" and punishes them with childbirth pain), sadistic (sets up his first human creation by planting a knowledge tree and daring them to eat it's fruit, knowing full well they'll do it out of curiosity which he gave them anyway, masochistic ( turns himself into a human so he will be killed, of course he gets to meet himself again in another existence which is totally mind blowing when you think about it, does this prove the multiverse theory?) totalitarian (see the Mosaic code) but as George Carlin says: "he loves us"! (Sociopath). Cap't Jack
Which brings us to the Real Question Did we create God in our own image? and that "god" itself has nothing to do with anyone it. Considering all the tailor-made God's out there it seems a most logical assumption.
Which brings us to the Real Question Did we create God in our own image? and that “god" itself has nothing to do with anyone it. Considering all the tailor-made God’s out there it seems a most logical assumption.
Using deductive reasoning we arrive at the conclusion that, yes Homo Sapiens invented the gods and not the other way around. We have mountains of proof from cave art to cathedrals and folk stories to floppy, elaborately adorned books to prove man's yearning for a supernatural explanation for existence, but not one scintilla of evidence to prove that a god, any of them, actually existed. No Zeus, no Wotan, no Ra, no (drat) Athena ,no "Great Spirit", Jesus was just a man and not a three in one, and no provable miracles, yet. Notice how I left the door open just a crack. Sagan would be proud. Cap't Jack
If we're made in God's image, and presumably proper society is too, AND if we should strive to be like God and Jesus, then: - Was God married? To whom? - Since Jesus wasn't married, should I divorce my wife? - Since Jesus didn't have children, should I put mine up for adoption? To Whom? - If we're all God's children, does he love Muslims too? - If God loves some of his children more than others, like Christians more than Muslims or Commie Atheists, is it ok if I love one of my kids more than the other? And favor them accordingly?
What about murderers? Are they created in God's image? And what would that make God?
A deep religious thinker would reply that "god's image" is just a metaphor and does indeed translate to everything in existence. But then God is no longer the God as described in scripture, but a metaphysical condition from which reality and ALL that is, was, and will be created. Of course that removes the "special" status of man in the scheme of thing. Is it possible that God was created in man's image? Oh, Write4u, how could such a thing happen! Of course not! :(

I’ve always assumed God’s physical attributes were all of the above - represented relatively by the cultures who created him/her. Even before the clock rolled over into AD, philosophers like Xenophanes had a pretty good handle on those types of queries - these lines in particular from about 500ish BCE:
Mortals deem that the gods are begotten as they are, and have clothes like theirs, and voice and form.
But if cattle and horses and lions had hands or could paint with their hands and create works such as men do, horses like horses and cattle like cattle also would depict the gods’ shapes and make their bodies of such a sort as the form they themselves have.
Ethiopians say that their gods are snubnosed and black Thracians that they are pale and red-haired.

I've always assumed God's physical attributes were all of the above - represented relatively by the cultures who created him/her. Even before the clock rolled over into AD, philosophers like Xenophanes had a pretty good handle on those types of queries - these lines in particular from about 500ish BCE: Mortals deem that the gods are begotten as they are, and have clothes like theirs, and voice and form. But if cattle and horses and lions had hands or could paint with their hands and create works such as men do, horses like horses and cattle like cattle also would depict the gods' shapes and make their bodies of such a sort as the form they themselves have. Ethiopians say that their gods are snubnosed and black Thracians that they are pale and red-haired.
True, it's all relative to who is looking at his own image. But you are incorrect to propose that God is a sentient being with physical attributes. We already have a definition for such a "physical god". It's called the Universe. Religions are just a made-up stories to make sense of "unexplained phenomena" (miracles) and this started long before the advent of modern man. But no one will dispute that all physical things are made in the "image of the Universe".

Guy’s it is not that hard to figure out if you get out of your box and open your minds to the whole picture.
The first problem is you don’t understand the history and evolution of “GOD". Therefore you are all trying to discuss facts using different understandings of god. And that’s not good and will end up wearing everyone out without accomplishing a darn thing.
Therefore your arguments are going in circles and will always go in circles. I would think that you would want to fix that problem first. Or maybe you don’t see it as a problem.
Example, if the idea/thought from the bible is stating that “god created man". And I for one completely agree with that line of thinking. It is a very atheist point of view when correctly viewed in a logical and scientific method.
I did not always agree with that line of thinking until I research and got a better understanding of god in the timeline of history.