Humanist Trilogy

Do you think this is a true statement? Your DNA is in the nucleus of every cell of your body after conception and from before your birth until you die.
And, do you have an idea if the advent of the decoded human genome includes, precludes, occludes, or excludes the primitive notions of God, or gods?

Just like most science

Beliefs are not encoded in DNA. The “fight or flight” response is encoded in your DNA, because that is not a belief system but a biochemical “action potential” response system to an external dynamic, an “unknown” threat.

The point is that from the thousands of gods you deny the existence of just 1 less god than I do. You are 99% atheist, whether you like it or not unless you believe in all gods that have ever existed in the hominid mind. Do you?

Thank you so much fo that. spoken like a mentor
that is so perfect.

does that mean the science of the evolving humans we are today began about 2-3 hundred thousand years ago is wrong? and thank you for your response.

you think science gets in the way of what?

your answer from the choices offered could have been excludes, right?

That’s about right as far as humans are concerned. I explained what was causal to the mutational emergence of the human brain that set us apart from our common ancestor.

Scientists determine age of some of the oldest human bones

January 13, 20224:55 PM ET

Some of the oldest human remains ever unearthed are the Omo One bones found in Ethiopia. For decades, their precise age has been debated, but a new study argues they’re around 233,000 years old.

Religion!
Science constantly debunks scripture and all that is left now is a “god of the gaps”, which renders moot the concept of an omnipotent scriptural agency.

The rest is all sophistry, whether intentional or from ignorance.

No. First, you dropped a word there somewhere or something, so not sure what you’re asking. The science of evolution didn’t begin 2,000 years ago. The human genome was sequenced in 2003, so that’s the “advent” right? So, inserting the definition of “occludes” into your question:
the advent of the decoded human genome hides or obscures from prominence or view the primitive notions of God, or gods?

That is, things that we once attributed to gods, like our feelings, our origins, how we inherit traits from our ancestors, can now be demonstrated as biological phenomena.

you think science gets in the way of what?

I didn’t think that was your question. I see it the other way around.

1 Like

We’re talking about the evolved humans we are today. I don’t think of the decoded human genome as a “biological phenomena” at all. To me, it is the greatest gift from science in my lifetime,
If the early generations of our species somehow understood the biological explanation of our existence and published their conclusions there would still be the usual stories of pro and con | belief and disbelief, and the disinterested.
But, from what I read the prehistoric tribes of that area and time would never get behind the total nonsense of Christian monotheism. I can accept the gods of the tribes but reject monotheism, that automatically rids their horrible epithets of LBGTQ plus. These people are not new they have been evolving for over 200,000 years, there has always been a statistical distribution of them in any population; the 2,000-year-old Christian dogma is new.
Am I making too much of science? I believe that both Christianity and humanism are entering extinction and be historic by the end of this century. What else is there? An essence of something somewhere? Or are we still too primitive of a species to seriously accept the scientific conclusion that we are very lucky people to be having this colloque.

I never accepted the God story altho baptized as a Mormon and became a deacon to make my mother happy. I left the church at 17, that would be 60 years ago. I’ve never thought of myself as an atheist, now I know that I was a closet atheist. and am a proud atheist.

I didn’t say decoding of the genome was a biological phenomenon, I said that now that we know our genome, we know that some behaviors are biological, not magical “god” things. Of course some people don’t believe that, but, so what? I can’t tell point you are trying to make about people who reject monotheism or those who hate LBCTQ+. Also, what do mean by “colloque”, as you used it?

I used “colloque” as a short discussion with a flippant remark, “some behaviors are biological, not magical “god” things” which is not a respectful attitude toward something real and truthful, characteristics that God never had. And yes the Christian mockery of LBGTQ epithets is tired.

This is why I disagree, You were born with a genome like everyone else. It’s your choice to try to ignore it or try to master it, you cannot make it go away, it is still who you are. There is a biological responsibility to learn it, it is inevitable. To make my point when you die there is no one who believes like you to take your place.
Your genome is the biological you that you grew up with. It has always been there have fun with yourself. What other choice do you have? Stay like you are or learn who you are.

How would one master their DNA? I understand that we should be aware we are human, with limits. It also doesn’t hurt to know if you predilections to disease, but I wouldn’t call that “mastering”.

1 Like

Yes, of course, that is right. but out of context, no one would call that mastering. My reply was for a different purpose with a different person. I am referring to mastering the concept of yourself in terms of baby steps as explained in my style of humanism.

But, since you are here my friend, could you explain what it is you "understand about we should be aware we are human, with limits. WE SHOULD BE AWARE WE ARE HUMAN? with LIMITS? Thank you.

is predilections the word you want to use?

If you have to ask, you should become aware that we are human, with limits… :thinking:

WE SHOULD BE AWARE WE ARE HUMAN? with LIMITS? is from lauston I have asked for clarification

Not sure where to start. Are you suggesting we don’t have limits? Our sense of sight for example, we can’t see the entire light spectrum.