How to keep fit

Hi

Keeping fit is really important and its time to get moving imo.

I’ve searched the net and can’t find that many good websites that state how to exercise and get going - preferably in a structured way.

I found this website which looks like it could be a good place to start:
Workout Schedules: Weekly Samples for Each Fitness Level (verywellfit.com)

Has anyone else got any other websites to check over or even mobile apps for the matter that will act as a guide (preferably from a scientific perspective). From my perspective, I don’t want to join a gym (again) and I don’t want to pay much.

Best regards
Matt

I am not sure of any preferred structure but I use a Gazelle glider and it has kept me in pretty good shape. It mimics a brisk low impact walk and also uses the upper body and arms. It is mainly an aerobic exercise, but 15 min p/day will keep you fit.

It’s very reasonable in price (125.00) and you can use while watching TV any time you want without any fuss of setting up. Just step on and take a brisk walk.

What you save on equipment and fees, you can invest in a wearable monitor ($60.00)

1 Like

I am careful about my diet, i walk 7 kilometers a day minimum and i practice yoga twice a week.
I ma not an athlete, but i am fit.

2 Likes

I forgot about my diet. I walk about 7K a day or about 10,000 steps on average but I don’t focus on my diet at all.

I’ve just found these two videos to put me off from having so much sugar - I’ve just subscribed to his channel as well as he seems to knows his stuff to help for sure:

Depends on what the goal is. If you are trying to lose weight, diet is much more important than exercise. If plain fitness is what you’re after, do calisthenics at home every other day and walk a little each day and intersperse that with sprinting.

Exercise tech is a crutch and should be avoided.

1 Like

Yipes, consider everything you put into your body, must be processed and disposed of by your body.
Then think of the computer adage “garbage in garbage out” - works the same way for your body.

I also agree with theoneguy, we don’t need an expensive toys, we need to be active, get the heart beating, sweat a little, stay limber, don’t over eat, don’t put too many poisons into thee body.

Good luck

2 Likes

Anne Lamott, the author, did one of her year-end facebook posts, which are usually good. This one was on how diets don’t work. Most people gain back whatever they lose. Instead, she said to be conscious of each meal, and treat it like having your pastor over for dinner (I didn’t realize she went to church, but that’s a different story). She quipped, you wouldn’t hand him a can of Pringles and the two of you stand over the sink and eat them, would you? :smile:

1 Like

I don 't advertise, i state a fact. I used a well known long term on line diet, a little more strictly than advised. I have lost 24 kilos during 8 months, including December, and the feasts, and i have not taken back one kilo.

The key is that the program is educative, enhancing vegetables, fruits and low fat food, while balanced. I eat cheeses and time from time, pastries and so. I have a recipe of a chestnut/ chocolate cake which is a damnation.

What was the diet called - thats exactly what I need - a diet where I don’t put the weight back on.

Answered by private message, not wanting to advertise here

:rofl: :rofl: :sleepy:
That’s especially precious given my current environment. :zipper_mouth_face:

Keep in mind OP that a big source of calories today comes from beverages. Soda and energy drinks are the worst, and it will be near impossible to lose weight if you drink those all day long.

Perfectly true. All which is junk food must be banished and one of the worst habit is to munch.

One must eat only during meals, from 3 to 5 depending who.

I’ve just discovered ChatGPT which is an AI bot which you can ask literally anything and it will provide you the answer in a text format. These were tips it offered - pretty impressive:

I asked it: How to resist the urge to eat too much food

Here are a few strategies you can try to resist the urge to eat too much food:

1. Practice mindful eating: Pay attention to your food and how it tastes, smells, and looks. This can help you become more aware of your hunger and fullness cues.
  2. Use smaller plates: Research has shown that people tend to eat less when they use smaller plates, as they feel more satisfied with smaller portions.
  3. Take breaks between bites: Try to put your fork down between bites and take a sip of water. This can help you slow down and pay attention to your body’s hunger and fullness cues.
  4. Eat slowly: It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to receive the signal that you’re full, so try to slow down and savor your food.
  5. Plan your meals in advance: Taking the time to plan out your meals and snacks can help you make healthier choices and avoid overindulging.
  6. Find healthy ways to cope with stress: Stress and emotional eating can often go hand in hand. Finding healthy ways to cope with stress, such as through exercise, meditation, or talking to a friend, can help you avoid turning to food as a way to cope.
  7. Get plenty of sleep: Lack of sleep can lead to increased hunger and cravings for unhealthy foods. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep to help reduce the urge to overindulge.

The app also has Re-generate response button where it provided mostly the same answers but some more answers as well :

There are several strategies that you can use to resist the urge to eat too much food:

1. Eat slowly: It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to register that you are full. By eating slowly, you give your brain time to process that you have eaten enough.
  2. Use smaller plates: Studies have shown that people tend to eat less when they use smaller plates. This is because smaller plates make portions look larger.
  3. Don’t skip meals: Skipping meals can lead to overeating later on. Try to eat regular, well-balanced meals to keep your hunger in check.
  4. Drink water: Drinking water before or during a meal can help you feel full, which may help you eat less.
  5. Practice mindful eating: Pay attention to your food and how you are feeling while you are eating. This can help you become more aware of your body’s hunger and fullness signals, and make it easier to stop eating when you are full.
  6. Find healthy distractions: Find activities that you can do to distract yourself from the urge to eat, such as going for a walk, reading a book, or calling a friend.
  7. Get plenty of sleep: Lack of sleep can increase hunger and cravings. Try to get at least 7-9 hours of sleep per night to help keep your appetite in check.

I also ask the AI bot what exercises I could do at home and again the response was very nice:

3 / 3

There are many different physical exercises that you can do at home, and the best ones for you will depend on your specific goals, fitness level, and any equipment you have available. Here are a few examples of exercises that can be done with little or no equipment:

1. Push-ups: These work the chest, triceps, and core muscles.
  2. Squats: These work the legs and glutes.
  3. Lunges: These work the legs and glutes, and can also be done with added weights for an extra challenge.
  4. Planks: These work the core muscles, and can be modified to be easier or more difficult based on your fitness level.
  5. Burpees: These are a full-body exercise that work the chest, legs, and core muscles.
  6. Jumping jacks: These are a simple cardiovascular exercise that gets your heart rate up and works the legs.

Remember to warm up before starting any exercise routine, and to listen to your body and stop if you feel any pain or discomfort. It’s also a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before starting a new exercise program.

Eat all green foods and keep A good low carb diet, also to go in mornings to get exercise and drink energy beverages know that A good exercise is one copy from great atheltes like Messi.

1 Like

It would be impossible for the average person to train like a pro-athlete. They have to start small. As for a low carb diet, it’s great for losing weight fast but not really effective in the long run except for a small number of people. Reducing sugar intake is a better long-term plan.

1 Like

Yeah, like with parents who train and teach their children good eating habits. :yum:
After we turn into adults it becomes a game of catch up.

1 Like

That is part of it, though parents have been lacking in that regard for generations. At this point it’s barely even possible for kids to eat healthy.

1 Like

There are some basics:

• no sodas or sweet drinks during meals and only rarely at other times
  • no munching outside meals ( breakfast, lunch, teatime and diner, young children may need a mid-morning ) (mid morning and mid-afternoon being no true meals, just something light)
  • no munching or pop corns in front of TV
  • no junk food under any reasons, treats and candies are not an habit
  • reasonable quantities of food,
  • a good share of vegetables and fruits, not too much fats or sweets and so.
2 Likes