How nice America has come to terms with its racist underpinnings

oops,

DOVE soap a Unilever product. 2017
+548008886666
www.unilever.com.ar

It’s crazy I’m 62 and it’s been one foot forward and one back, every step of the way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/dove-racist-advert-facebook-apology-racism-colourism-makeup-beauty-products-a7988961.html by Biba Kang] A Facebook advert from the personal care brand Dove has recently sparked backlash after one of its images – a black woman removing a brown T-shirt to reveal a white woman in a pink T-shirt underneath, seeming to imply that Dove products had “cleaned" her black skin off – went viral. Naythemua’s point is indisputable, and Dove has apologised – albeit with the usual evasiveness that follows a shamefully insensitive display by a big brand. The cosmetics company insisted: “We deeply regret the offence it caused." Needless to say, this choice of wording does not suggest, “We deeply regret creating this advert in the first place", but rather, “We deeply regret how you all responded to it." Dove’s defenders claimed that the still currently circulating social media was taken out of context, explaining how the reveal of a white woman under the removed T-shirt was followed by the reveal of an Asian woman in the full advert. But this defence misses the point. The reason that the transformation of a black woman into a white woman stuck such an unpleasant chord was that it seemed to make blatant a process that the beauty industry often more subtly alludes to.
Racism - insecurity and contrived hatred of others - remains as alive and healthy as ever. And if those smug liberals and Democrats don't wake up and stir themselves a bit more - the next election could be another shocking rout followed further descent down the hole of the right wing hell of insecurity driven hatred driven vandalism, then the genuine civil war on our own soil. And to think this country is supposed to be a democracy where we live and learn from each other. What happened?
Surprising lack of watermelons and chicken, here; many of these old ads featuring blacks had them.
oops, DOVE soap a Unilever product. 2017 +548008886666 www.unilever.com.ar
Trying to represent everyone usually fails in advertising. I bet the creators were well meaning liberal women.
It's crazy I'm 62 and it's been one foot forward and one back, every step of the way.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/dove-racist-advert-facebook-apology-racism-colourism-makeup-beauty-products-a7988961.html by Biba Kang] A Facebook advert from the personal care brand Dove has recently sparked backlash after one of its images – a black woman removing a brown T-shirt to reveal a white woman in a pink T-shirt underneath, seeming to imply that Dove products had “cleaned" her black skin off – went viral. Naythemua’s point is indisputable, and Dove has apologised – albeit with the usual evasiveness that follows a shamefully insensitive display by a big brand. The cosmetics company insisted: “We deeply regret the offence it caused." Needless to say, this choice of wording does not suggest, “We deeply regret creating this advert in the first place", but rather, “We deeply regret how you all responded to it." Dove’s defenders claimed that the still currently circulating social media was taken out of context, explaining how the reveal of a white woman under the removed T-shirt was followed by the reveal of an Asian woman in the full advert. But this defence misses the point. The reason that the transformation of a black woman into a white woman stuck such an unpleasant chord was that it seemed to make blatant a process that the beauty industry often more subtly alludes to.
Racism - insecurity and contrived hatred of others - remains as alive and healthy as ever. And if those smug liberals and Democrats don't wake up and stir themselves a bit more - the next election could be another shocking rout followed further descent down the hole of the right wing hell of insecurity driven hatred driven vandalism, then the genuine civil war on our own soil. And to think this country is supposed to be a democracy where we live and learn from each other. What happened?
It's was the "smug liberals" who managed to get slavery ended and marched and fought for Civil Rights for everyone. It was the "conservative asses" who fought tooth and nail to keep the racist status quo. It's the liberals that made America great, with tremendous opposition from the conservative morons, who wanted us all to go back to the Dark Ages . Please read some history. Spam line xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Not having seen the original ad, I can’t say whether it was racist or just an attempt at humor. I read some of the comments left on the article in the Independent, and some of them pointed out that the model who made the ad obviously didn’t see anything offensive by it. People need to grow up and not be so thin-skinned.

Not having seen the original ad, I can't say whether it was racist or just an attempt at humor. I read some of the comments left on the article in the Independent, and some of them pointed out that the model who made the ad obviously didn't see anything offensive by it. People need to grow up and not be so thin-skinned.
How do you know the model didn't see anything offensive in the ad? Did she make a public statement about it?
Not having seen the original ad, I can't say whether it was racist or just an attempt at humor. I read some of the comments left on the article in the Independent, and some of them pointed out that the model who made the ad obviously didn't see anything offensive by it. People need to grow up and not be so thin-skinned.
How do you know the model didn't see anything offensive in the ad? Did she make a public statement about it? And how do we know the model was aware of the full context in which her particular shot would be used?
How do you know the model didn't see anything offensive in the ad? Did she make a public statement about it? And how do we know the model was aware of the full context in which her particular shot would be used? I don't think it matters. They were models, they didn't get to review the ad and comment on it, they just went to work and did what they were told. I wouldn't paint such a broad brush like "liberals reacted", but obviously we have a significant population that is willing to see 2 seconds of video and pass judgment, especially if someone pre-packages that judgment and all they need to do is agree. This reminds me of the Michael Jackson video for "Black and White", it had lots of transitions from one culture to another. I'm sure I could make a story out of one of those transitions.

Thread Relevant]
Even cereal is racist.

Thread Relevant] Even cereal is racist.
Yup, the roots run deep. It ain't a joke.
Yup, the roots run deep. It ain't a joke.Probably not intentional. Kelloggs doesn't want to lose money, so they will pay extra special attention to the cereal boxes to make sure no designs are slightly off-color. That won't make any difference to mentally ill liberals who see racism everywhere.

oeu

Yup, the roots run deep. It ain't a joke.Probably not intentional. Kelloggs doesn't want to lose money, so they will pay extra special attention to the cereal boxes to make sure no designs are slightly off-color. That won't make any difference to mentally ill liberals who see racism everywhere. Actually your link doesn't work. Even when I try fiddling with it. 404ERROR But it's pretty irrelevant. You dismiss the topic with sarcasm and disregard. Doesn't remove the fact we are a very racist country have been from the start. Started a long time ago with pride in owning other humans and using them as chattel - and has built up upon that. Here's some highlights.
Slavery Timeline 1400- . . . A Chronology of Slavery, Abolition, and Emancipation in the Fifteenth Century (and beyond) http://www.brycchancarey.com/slavery/chrono2.htm http://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/how-many-slaves-landed-in-the-us/ http://blog.encyclopediavirginia.org/2011/12/slavery-by-the-numbers/
Oh but that was all so long ago. This wasn't so long ago
How ‘government created ghettos’ By Public Affairs, UC Berkeley | MAY 15, 2015
http://news.berkeley.edu/2015/05/15/opinion-how-government-created-ghettos-on-fresh-air/ http://www.npr.org/2015/05/14/406699264/historian-says-dont-sanitize-how-our-government-created-the-ghettos
The existence of poor, largely African American communities in urban areas across the nation — as in Baltimore, Maryland, and Ferguson, Missouri — is “not the unintended effect of benign policies" but of “explicit, racially purposeful policy that was pursued at all levels of government," Richard Rothstein, a senior fellow at Berkeley Law and a researcher at the Economic Policy Institute, tells Fresh Air’s Terry Gross in a radio interview this week. “We are reaping the fruits of those policies." Revisiting themes he’s explored in recent written pieces, Rothstein describes the nuts and bolts of how government — from the Federal Housing Administration to Veterans Affairs and state and local entities — along with real estate agents and banks, fostered housing segregation and helped create a large wealth gap between white and black America.
The Color of Law A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America Book • By Richard Rothstein • 2017 http://www.epi.org/publication/the-color-of-law-a-forgotten-history-of-how-our-government-segregated-america/ In The Color of Law (published by Liveright in May 2017), Richard Rothstein argues with exacting precision and fascinating insight how segregation in America— the incessant kind that continues to dog our major cities and has contributed to so much recent social strife— is the byproduct of explicit government policies at the local, state, and federal levels. The Color of Law was designated one of ten finalists on the National Book Awards’ long list for the best nonfiction book of 2017.
How The Systemic Segregation Of Schools Is Maintained By 'Individual Choices' http://www.npr.org/2017/10/13/557558468/how-the-systemic-segregation-of-schools-is-maintained-by-individual-choices October 13, 2017 - 3:26 PM ET Fresh Air Journalist and 2017 MacArthur "genius" grant award-winner Nikole Hannah-Jones says that when it comes to school segregation, separate is never truly equal. Originally broadcast Jan. 16, 2017.
How do you know the model didn't see anything offensive in the ad? Did she make a public statement about it? And how do we know the model was aware of the full context in which her particular shot would be used? I don't think it matters. They were models, they didn't get to review the ad and comment on it, they just went to work and did what they were told. I wouldn't paint such a broad brush like "liberals reacted", but obviously we have a significant population that is willing to see 2 seconds of video and pass judgment, especially if someone pre-packages that judgment and all they need to do is agree. This reminds me of the Michael Jackson video for "Black and White", it had lots of transitions from one culture to another. I'm sure I could make a story out of one of those transitions. Here is a comment which was left on the original article by a reader calling himself "Jomiro":
And once again it is blatantly obvious that the writer of this article did not take the time to look at it. If they had, they would have realised that the advert was not racist at all. After the white girl appears from beneath the T-shirt, she peels hers away to reveal an Asian girl. If the sequence of girls had started with black, went to Asian and then on to white perhaps you could argue the racist case. However, it did not because someone had obviously thought carefully about the order in which they appear. Many people have, stupidly, jumped right up there on the very same bandwagon; without looking at the evidence, and made fools of themselves. If you watch the whole thing, you will see that there really is no racist content, and that the whole debate is a malicious attempt to cause harm.
I don't deny that there's a lot of racism left in the world, but hunting out racism where it doesn't exist does not help the situation.