Hallucinations

The new technology is killing us. We obviously designe websites and online reports, but the money we make on these is nowhere close to what we used to make in the 90s. The less money, the less designers we can afford, the less sleep we all get. The good thing is it only lasts about a month or two.
I have noticed this as a general trend. Technology has made us more efficient but as we get more efficient our work becomes devalued. As a result the very technology that should be making life easier is making us do more work more for less pay. I think its also tough in your field George because a lot of mediocre designers can put out passable work now with all the publishing tools available to them. More and more people are doing this stuff themselves or hiring someone who has basic skills to do it for less money. It becomes a commodity where price is the only differentiator unfortunately.
I think its also tough in your field George because a lot of mediocre designers can put out passable work now with all the publishing tools available to them. More and more people are doing this stuff themselves or hiring someone who has basic skills to do it for less money. It becomes a commodity where price is the only differentiator unfortunately.
I don't think that's really much of a problem for us. Sure, you can design a logo yourself for free, or you can have us do it for $10,000. In the end you get what you pay for. Fortunately, there are still enough people who recognize that owning a copy of Photoshop doesn't make one a designer.
The designing part is not the problem, Occam; actually, that's the fun part. It's everything else--like getting rid of double spaces between sentences in client's copy ;-) --that makes our lives living hell for the two months.
That should be an easy script to write or easier still: use the find/replace command in your text editor. ;) Take care, Derek
The designing part is not the problem, Occam; actually, that's the fun part. It's everything else--like getting rid of double spaces between sentences in client's copy ;-) --that makes our lives living hell for the two months.
That should be an easy script to write or easier still: use the find/replace command in your text editor. ;) Take care, Derek Sure, I can use the find-and-replace tool, but I can't automatically apply the change to all occurrences as there may be instances where I do need a double space.
That should be an easy script to write or easier still: use the find/replace command in your text editor. ;) Take care, Derek Indeed, it is easy. I worked as an editor for several companies and one of the things we did with all copy, even before editing it for any errors, was to find and replace space/space with space. We would repeat the find and replace until we received the message that no further replacements were possible. Sometimes you need to fight technology with technology, but I'm sure you know this. The problem with modern jobs is that fewer and fewer people are doing more and more work and are constantly on call and reachable while more an more people have no jobs or truncated jobs. This cannot continue. It is bad for business, bad for the overall economy and especially bad for individuals, both the workers and the unemployed. Something will have to give. We can only hope that something will give before too many people wither and die from overwork or poverty.
That should be an easy script to write or easier still: use the find/replace command in your text editor. ;) Take care, Derek Sure, I can use the find-and-replace tool, but I can't automatically apply the change to all occurrences as there may be instances where I do need a double space. We managed to overcome that problem. It's easier to find the few places where a double space is necessary while editing and put it in than to try to find every instance of a double space that is not. The latter can account for hundreds upon hundreds of instances. The former for only a few. LL.

Only a few? Already then. :smirk: