"Fewer Americans embrace organized religion"

Nothing earth shattering in this. However, I came across this article: Four Reasons Fewer Americans embrace organized religion].
I’m not sure I buy any of the four reasons, although the fourth one is closest to me personally. Even there it is more of a case of a realization that religions are things “made up” by men and do not stand up to critical examination. For others, perhaps the article strikes home. Thoughts?

I think all 4 things are relevant to varying degrees.
People are losing faith in their churches. Which is what this article basically says.
They aren’t losing spirituality because they are still scared about what comes after death.
Or they can’t wrap their heads around the Universe.(nobody really can fully, but most substitute spirituality for the unknown in these cases. Fear.)

I am more interested in the other angle: Why are so many people religious in the first place?
This author suggests, it seems, that people take on a religion in order to meet one or more of (what he calls) the 16 basic human desires.

I am more interested in the other angle: Why are so many people religious in the first place? This author suggests, it seems, that people take on a religion in order to meet one or more of (what he calls) the 16 basic human desires.
Yeah I skipped right through that fluff at the beginning. When anyone says "Here's what my book says, it's the 16 simple steps to the meaning of life." I usually keep walking.
I am more interested in the other angle: Why are so many people religious in the first place? This author suggests, it seems, that people take on a religion in order to meet one or more of (what he calls) the 16 basic human desires.
Most people take on religion because of indoctrination and constant reinforcement. Then they incorporate human desires into it to justify continuing belief. Lois

First question, how did they get a picture of my Uncle Carl and Aunt Dort’s Christmas dinner? I’ve experienced all of these. Even the most liberal woo-woo churches are not spiritual. You can’t stick with Jesus (or whomever) and still beat the non-religious Buddha at that game. And if you aren’t offering programs that cover the vast array of human problems, then by definition you leave someone out. 4 is obvious.
Three is interesting, especially if you look at 1st century Christianity, when they were pioneers at including women and accepting outcasts. That had emotional appeal, and it allowed them to grow while other groups were losing their young men to war so they had no new leaders. As a purely demographic move, the increase in exclusion that has slowly crept in over the years has been a very bad move.

Most people take on religion because of indoctrination and constant reinforcement. Then they incorporate human desires into it to justify continuing belief. Lois The linked author says there are 16 human desires: "acceptance, curiosity, eating, family, honor, idealism, independence, order, physical activity, power, romance, saving, social contact, status, tranquility and vengeance". I think you are suggesting that people justify continuing belief in their original religion, due to such desires. I wonder where intellectual integrity figures in..., (especially) once it should become obvious that their beliefs are only superstition-based.
Most people take on religion because of indoctrination and constant reinforcement. Then they incorporate human desires into it to justify continuing belief. Lois The linked author says there are 16 human desires: "acceptance, curiosity, eating, family, honor, idealism, independence, order, physical activity, power, romance, saving, social contact, status, tranquility and vengeance". I think you are suggesting that people justify continuing belief in their original religion, due to such desires. I wonder where intellectual integrity figures in..., (especially) once it should become obvious that their beliefs are only superstition-based. I would say that most oeople don't understand what intellectual integrity is, or they define it to include religious belief. Lois