Entrails.

As far as I know humans are the only animals that do not consume the entrails of the other animals they eat. Are there any other carnivores that do not eat the entrails of their prey? What is the origin of this practice? I believe that in the Bible there were instructions for the cooking and consuming of the whole animal. So apparently in ancient times the whole animal was consumed.

As far as I know humans are the only animals that do not consume the entrails of the other animals they eat. Are there any other carnivores that do not eat the entrails of their prey? What is the origin of this practice? I believe that in the Bible there were instructions for the cooking and consuming of the whole animal. So apparently in ancient times the whole animal was consumed.
Umm, spend a few hours watching some of the cooking shows out there, or shows about diners and restaurants around the country/world and you'll quickly realize your statement is completely false.
Umm, spend a few hours watching some of the cooking shows out there, or shows about diners and restaurants around the country/world and you'll quickly realize your statement is completely false. Not completely, I know there are a few exceptions, but most of what is consumed is not the entrails of the animals that are consumed. I have cleaned game animals and witnessed domestic animals that are butchered for meat. The entrails are only used for a few minor cases, unless you would care to cite instances where this is not the case. What is the percentage of times are the entrails consumed, as opposed to the percentage of times when they are discarded? FYI, my experience is in america, so if you have experience with foods in other countries, please present it. FYI, perhaps I should clarify, by entrails I was referring to the stomach and intestines, I am aware that certain organs are used as food, and some of them are my favorite parts, but the stomach, and especially the intestines are usually discarded. Also cats are seldom consumed, and even so the guts are not consumed, even though 'cat gut' does have a special use.
Umm, spend a few hours watching some of the cooking shows out there, or shows about diners and restaurants around the country/world and you'll quickly realize your statement is completely false. Not completely, I know there are a few exceptions, but most of what is consumed is not the entrails of the animals that are consumed. I have cleaned game animals and witnessed domestic animals that are butchered for meat. The entrails are only used for a few minor cases, unless you would care to cite instances where this is not the case. What is the percentage of times are the entrails consumed, as opposed to the percentage of times when they are discarded? FYI, my experience is in america, so if you have experience with foods in other countries, please present it. FYI, perhaps I should clarify, by entrails I was referring to the stomach and intestines, I am aware that certain organs are used as food, and some of them are my favorite parts, but the stomach, and especially the intestines are usually discarded. Also cats are seldom consumed, and even so the guts are not consumed, even though 'cat gut' does have a special use. The stomach and intestines of several animals are used for food. Intestines have been and still are used for sausage casings. The stomach is used for haggis. The lining of the stomach of cows is tripe, still eaten in many cultures. My dad used to say that every part of a pig is used except the oink. Though not all of it for food; some is used for footballs and some by those trying to make silk purses. Lois
The stomach and intestines of several animals are used for food. Intestines have been and still are used for sausage casings. The stomach is used for haggis. The lining of the stomach of cows is tripe, still eaten in many cultures. My dad used to say that every part of a pig is used except the oink. Though not all of it for food; some is used for footballs and some by those trying to make silk purses. Lois
Fair enough, but still what is the percentage of the material that is consumed compared to the percentage that is discarded. With wild animals the entrails are almost the first part that is eaten, but with humans it has to be processed and disguised to be considered eatable.
The stomach and intestines of several animals are used for food. Intestines have been and still are used for sausage casings. The stomach is used for haggis. The lining of the stomach of cows is tripe, still eaten in many cultures. My dad used to say that every part of a pig is used except the oink. Though not all of it for food; some is used for footballs and some by those trying to make silk purses. Lois
Fair enough, but still what is the percentage of the material that is consumed compared to the percentage that is discarded. With wild animals the entrails are almost the first part that is eaten, but with humans it has to be processed and disguised to be considered eatable. We probably are less interested in eating stomach and intestines, because they are less palatable. If we were less successful in acquiring animals to eat, and were hungry enough, we would, no doubt, eat stomach and intestines, regularly as well.
Fair enough, but still what is the percentage of the material that is consumed compared to the percentage that is discarded. With wild animals the entrails are almost the first part that is eaten, but with humans it has to be processed and disguised to be considered eatable. We probably are less interested in eating stomach and intestines, because they are less palatable. If we were less successful in acquiring animals to eat, and were hungry enough, we would, no doubt, eat stomach and intestines, regularly as well. I agree. I, for one, don't eat organs of any kind. Just pointing out some things I picked up along the way. I don't know how much of any animal os wasted. I've never been around farm animals or slaughterhouses. A lot of it what is not eaten by humans is made into animal food. The skin is tanned to make leather. Not sure about the bones, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some use for them. Fertilizer, maybe. How did we get onto this subject, anyway? Was there a point to it? Lois
How did we get onto this subject, anyway? Was there a point to it? Lois
I made the OP and I remember cleaning game animals, and butchering rabbits and other domestic animals, the guts were discarded and only the meat was saved and eaten. How did people get to this point, that the entrails, (the intestines) are usually discarded and not eaten? Or at least if they are eaten, there is a very thorough regiment of cleaning, before they are consumed. Wild predators go after the entrails first after a kill, and sometimes before the prey is dead. Why don't you eat the organs or guts of the animal?
We probably are less interested in eating stomach and intestines, because they are less palatable. If we were less successful in acquiring animals to eat, and were hungry enough, we would, no doubt, eat stomach and intestines, regularly as well.
Have you ever eaten any of those parts of the animal? How do you know that they are less palatable?
How did we get onto this subject, anyway? Was there a point to it? Lois
I made the OP and I remember cleaning game animals, and butchering rabbits and other domestic animals, the guts were discarded and only the meat was saved and eaten. How did people get to this point, that the entrails, (the intestines) are usually discarded and not eaten? Or at least if they are eaten, there is a very thorough regiment of cleaning, before they are consumed. Wild predators go after the entrails first after a kill, and sometimes before the prey is dead. Why don't you eat the organs or guts of the animal? They're icky. That's why! Seriously, though, they probably don't taste as good to anyone as the rest of the animal. In good times, when meat was plentiful, people could afford to be selective and ate only the parts they liked. Organs deteriorate more quickly, too, so if they weren't eaten right away, they would spoil. I don't know whether wild animals go after the entrails first. If they do it might be that they are more nutritious, so the animals that ate entrails lived longer. Lois

This is probably a topic better suited for Rachel Ray but yes we do eat organ meat. Lots of examples i.e. Chitterlings or chittlins (hog intestines) are a typical southern dish and properly cleaned and cooked are delicious, or at least I think they are. All potted meat products contain beef tripe and Lois has already covered that subject, once again pretty good as a sandwich spread. Ever tasted liver and onions? Back in my “struggle to get through undergrad days” my buddies and I used to split the pot and buy KFC Which included fried chicken livers, gizzards and gravy for supper. Fried hearts were ok but a little tough. Just remember that when a hot dog package states “all beef” it also contains organ meat, which can be listed as beef. As to hunting, we field stripped out the organs as they would be the first to begin rotting and could taint the meat. Before animal domestication you had to consume every part of the animal including the organs and bone marrow for the protein, fats etc. but after domestication herders could afford to pitch the softer meat and go straight for the muscle. Would you rather have a haggis or a well cooked porterhouse steak?
Cap’t Jack

Would you rather have a haggis or a well cooked porterhouse steak? Cap't Jack
I've had both, and if given the choice, would probably pick the Haggis.
I’ve had both, and if given the choice, would probably pick the Haggis.
Haggis? Man, you must not be from Texas! Cap't Jack

Observe the cholesterol content.

No I'm not, and glad of it.
I haven't seen any of those in the local grocery store around here. Based on the cholesterol that would be just shy of 12 servings of the amount of cholesterol for one day. I'm glad I don't have any problem with cholesterol, I eat what ever I want and don't have to worry about it. Are they expensive? I'd like to try some.
No I'm not, and glad of it. I also don't live my life according to what some Bozo in a bar, half full of beer, says what a real man is.
I also don’t live my life according to what some Bozo in a bar, half full of beer, says what a real man is.
Or a drunken Scotsman half full of Guinness in a tavern and blowing on a doodle sack. Cap't Jack
I haven’t seen any of those in the local grocery store around here. Based on the cholesterol that would be just shy of 12 servings of the amount of cholesterol for one day. I’m glad I don’t have any problem with cholesterol, I eat what ever I want and don’t have to worry about it. Are they expensive? I’d like to try some.
My grandmother used to fix some of the tastiest pork brains and served them with eggs. Delicious but ALL organ meat is high in cholesterol and I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of them, especially if you're sedentary. Cap't Jack
I haven't seen any of those in the local grocery store around here. Based on the cholesterol that would be just shy of 12 servings of the amount of cholesterol for one day. I'm glad I don't have any problem with cholesterol, I eat what ever I want and don't have to worry about it. Are they expensive? I'd like to try some.$16 for two cans on Amazon, including shipping.] Not something that I'd want to even consider, given that diseases similar Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE)] have been reported in people who've ingested pork brains. If Gawd wanted us to eat brains, he'd have made them easier to get to.