Emma González: "Adults are behaving like children."

§§

Parkland Student Emma González Opens Up About Her Fight for Gun Control By Emma González Feb 26, 2018 https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/politics/a18715714/protesting-nra-gun-control-true-story/ ... “If you have ever lost someone very important to you, then you already know how it feels, and if you haven't, then you cannot possibly imagine it," wrote Lemony Snicket in The Bad Beginning: A Series of Unfortunate Events. There are people who do not know, and will never know, what it feels like to go through this. For that I am eternally thankful. But to the people out there who disagree with us: if you have ever felt what it's like to deal with all of this, you would know we aren’t doing this for attention. If these funerals were for your friends, you would know this grief is real, not paid for. We are children who are being expected to act like adults, while the adults are proving themselves to behave like children. When did children become such a dirty word? Adults are saying that children are lazy, meanwhile Jaclyn Corin organized an entire trip to Tallahassee], three busses stuffed with 100 kids and reporters who went to discuss our pitiful firearm legislation with the people who can—but won’t—do something about it. Adults are saying that children are emotional. I should hope so— some of our closest friends were taken before their time because of a senseless act of violence that should never have occurred. If we weren’t emotional, they would criticize us for that, as well. Adults are saying that children are disrespectful. But how can we respect people who don’t respect us? We have always been told that if we see something wrong, we need to speak up; but now that we are, all we're getting is disrespect from the people who made the rules in the first place. Adults like us when we have strong test scores, but they hate us when we have strong opinions. I’m constantly torn between being thankful for the endless opportunities to share my voice, and wishing I were a tree so that I’d never have had to deal with this in the first place. I’d like to think that it would be nice to be a tree. ...
It goes on, that is one eloquent thoughtful powerful young lady. I do wish her the best, she is truly a representative of our last hope, considering the older folks have pretty much checked out.
Emma González Back in her happy innocence, last year.
It's worth the time to read her thoughts. She makes more sense than the adults I been hearing from.