Driving Damages Ovaries, says Holy Man

A Saudi cleric claims that women drivers are likely to cause damage to ovaries, pelvis - and should not be driving. I’ve never heard of this, but it is possible for some medical issues to arise because of excessive driving.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/29/us-saudi-driving-idUSBRE98S04B20130929

He did not cite specific medical studies to support his arguments.
Nuff said. Really, my favorite quote is that driving "not out of specific necessity" causes damage. So, if it's necessary, like to go get some beer for her husband, then it won't be damaging. It's when she's just tooling around, cruising for whatever, that's when the real damage happens.
A Saudi cleric claims that women drivers are likely to cause damage to ovaries, pelvis - and should not be driving. I've never heard of this, but it is possible for some medical issues to arise because of excessive driving. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/29/us-saudi-driving-idUSBRE98S04B20130929
Of course men's equipment is much closer to the action, but we don't hear anything from the clerics about damage to those "family jewels", do we? Seems to me it's a better argument that males should be banned from driving. Maybe it has something to do with the profound lack of intelligence found among Muslims. Lois

So let me get this straight. Sitting in the drivers seat reduces fertility but sitting in the passenger seat has no affect and of course many American teenagers can attest to the fact that the back seat increases fertility. Who knew cars were such amazing fertility management devices and that clerics were so smart.

It just goes to show those male chauvinist ministers who want to limit women to using putters. :red:
The only study that I’ve ever seen is that males like truck drivers and sales people whose work requires long periods driving have been seen to have a higher incidence of prostate problems.
Occam

Nuff said.
Bloody hell, I missed that part saying there were no studies to back up the claims. You're totally correct.
Nuff said.
Bloody hell, I missed that part saying there were no studies to back up the claims. You're totally correct. LOL, you guys were actually taking this clerics comments seriously.
Nuff said.
Bloody hell, I missed that part saying there were no studies to back up the claims. You're totally correct. LOL, you guys were actually taking this clerics comments seriously. It pays to take them seriously and then show how they are completely irrational. There's always the possibility that a rational argument will plant the seeds of doubt in the mind of a believer. If we don't take such pronouncements seriously (at least to the point of taking notice), we miss that opportunity. Scoffing doesn't so anything but raise hackles. A reasoned, constructive approach can deliver a positive message. Lois
It pays to take them seriously and then show how they are completely irrational. There's always the possibility that a rational argument will plant the seeds of doubt in the mind of a believer. If we don't take such pronouncements seriously (at least to the point of taking notice), we miss that opportunity. Scoffing doesn't so anything but raise hackles. A reasoned, constructive approach can deliver a positive message. Lois
Sorry Lois, What I meant is that it appeared that some of you actually thought there was even the remotest chance that his comments were based on a scientific study rather than pure sexism and misogyny. I give you all credit for giving him the benefit of the doubt but I suspect you have already spent far more time researching this issue in the legitimate scientific literature than the cleric did.
It pays to take them seriously and then show how they are completely irrational. There's always the possibility that a rational argument will plant the seeds of doubt in the mind of a believer. If we don't take such pronouncements seriously (at least to the point of taking notice), we miss that opportunity. Scoffing doesn't so anything but raise hackles. A reasoned, constructive approach can deliver a positive message. Lois
Sorry Lois, What I meant is that it appeared that some of you actually thought there was even the remotest chance that his comments were based on a scientific study rather than pure sexism and misogyny. I give you all credit for giving him the benefit of the doubt but I suspect you have already spent far more time researching this issue in the legitimate scientific literature than the cleric did.Oh, I got your insinuation. :lol: But, yes, my thoughts were that some reproductive trouble in female drivers could be substantiated - I recall reading that excessive drivers do have higher rates of certain excretory and reproductive complaints; that's what I was going from, so to speak. Lausten pointed out that there was no evidence, something I missed when first posting the article. Of course, the fact that this is from a Saudi cleric, easily makes you think of fantasy based policy making.