Do Texans Deserve Ted Cruz? The deep freeze.

Power in Texas is operated by a private company. Cruz is US Senator. The Federal government has no responsibility or authority to do anything related to the operation of the Texas power grid. At the local level Cruz has no more say about the Texas grid than any other private citizen. Yes, the authorities would probably take his call more readily than the average Joe, but that’s about it.

The fuss is the same old political BS. At least Biden didn’t make the Bush flyover mistake, but I don’t think he got any Texas snow on his shoes, now did he?

Most power companies are “private” in this country and do a great job. Feds have a responsibility to respond to disasters and this event proves Texas needs a back up plan, but government can’t do much with the grid.

As for Cruz – who cares if he has nothing to do with the grid, his behavior is irresponsible beyond belief and he deserves all the abuse he is getting.

@thatoneguy. but government can’t do much with the grid.
What alternate universe do you live in?

Electricity regulation in the United States: overview

by Mark F Sundback, Bill Rappolt and Andrew P Mina, Sheppard Mullin LLP

Law stated as at 01 Jul 2020 • USA (National/Federal)

A Q&A guide to electricity regulation in the United States.

The Q&A gives a high-level overview of the domestic electricity market, including domestic electricity companies, electricity generation and renewable energy, transmission, distribution, supply and tax issues. It covers the regulatory structure; foreign ownership; import of electricity; authorisation and operating requirements; trading between generators and suppliers; rates and conditions of sale and proposals for reform.

https:/ /content.next.westlaw_com/8-525-5799?isplcus=true&transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)&firstPage=true

CHAPTER 4. GOVERNMENT’S ROLE IN THE ELECTRICITY SECTOR

a. GOVERNMENT’S LEGISLATIVE ROLE
b. GOVERNMENT’S REGULATORY ROLE
c. GOVERNMENT’S ROLE IN THE RESOURCE CONCESSION PROCESS
d. GOVERNMENT’S ROLE IN THE MARKET
e. TECHNOLOGY SPECIFIC POLICY STRATEGIES

Risk reduction is one of government’s most important roles in promoting private investment in the electricity sector. Reducing the number of potential unknowns is especially important where there is little or no experience with renewable technologies at the national or local level.

How can Government take a leadership role in risk reduction?

Government leadership in risk reduction can take many forms. Areas where it may be appropriate for the government to play a role include:

· national energy planning;
· resource evaluation;
· market evaluation;
· least-cost-planning;
· providing access to expertise;
· eliminating obstacles to equitable markets;
· project oversight and evaluation; and
· assistance in providing access to capital and financing.
One of the challenges in creating public-private partnerships is for governments to create an appropriate environment to attract private investment. When governments act in their sovereign role as guardians of the public welfare, they are essentially providers of public goods and services, which in turn may be delivered through public or private channels. When governments implement policy decisions and resolve political conflicts through the legislative and regulatory process, their role is objectively to carry out the will of the body politic.The essence of public-private partnership is the arrangement for private capital to finance goods and services which traditionally have been provided by public entities.

Public-private infrastructure partnerships require government participation in both these roles. As purchasers of public goods and/or services, governments act in a quasi-commercial capacity. When policy strategists serve as legislators and regulators in matters concerning commercial enterprise, the challenge is to establish an environment in which government puts aside its commercial interests in favor of even-handed implementation of its political and policy objectives.

a. GOVERNMENT’S LEGISLATIVE ROLE …

http://www.oas.org/dsd/publications/unit/oea79e/ch08.htm

You know what they say about government: Love it or hate it, you can’t live without it!

That’s even true for the third of our country that seems to want to destroy our government.

Oh what delusional thinking and slimy smooth manipulation can do to once intelligent rational people.

It says government can assist is some indirect ways. It doesn’t have to or need to.

Haven’t heard anything about Biden being in Texas.

Haven’t heard anything about Biden being in Texas.
Well, FEMA i now actively involved in helping Texas cope with their disaster,

This is totally unlike Trump who refused to activate FEMA for distribution of Covid vaccines, especially to Democratic states!

Now there was a president for “the people”… ?

It says government can assist is some indirect ways. It doesn’t have to or need to.
I think that falls under "no taxation without representation" (see above).
@thatoneguy: It says government can assist is some indirect ways. It doesn’t have to or need to.
Can you show me the legal code reference, or citation number or Constitutional reference, or precedent setting court decision?

Guy, I’d love to research the background to that Legal Interpretation.

I kind of browsed through this thread …

Anyone mention how Texas GOPer reps voted against aid for New Jersey after Sandy … but now they want help?

In October 2012, Hurricane Sandy hammered New York and New Jersey. As the north-east reeled, Texas Republicans stood back, treating the region as if it were another country. As if the civil war had not ended.

After the turn of the year, Cruz, his fellow senator John Cornyn and 23 of two-dozen Texas Republicans in the House gave a thumbs down to Sandy aid.

And the Gov wants to use that money (i.e. taxpayer money) to pay off the exorbitant energy bills some citizens are getting? … i.e. my tax money to incompetent TX companies.

IMHO, I’m beginning to think they built The Wall on the wrong border.

Texas grid not connected to the national grid

OUTRAGOUS FOR SO CALLED WEALTHIEST BEST COUNTRY

IMHO, I’m beginning to think they built The Wall on the wrong border.
Texas has wanted to secede from the union for a long time. I say let them so that when they screw up the US can "sell" them what they need.

Apparently they are not aware that the world (including Texas) will run out of oil in about 40 years. That’s when Texas will revert back to a second rate state, which has nothing special to sell or trade with. They have lots of space which would lend itself to wind and solar power, but they see those industries as being in competition with their oil industry, which is in decline. How’s that for long range planning?

Apparently they are not aware that the world (including Texas) will run out of oil in about 40 years.
They've been predicting "Peak Oil" for 40 years.

Just like the “End of the world”

And “Dems are gonna take your guns”

“Peak Oil” is when we reached the point where have found as much as we will ever find, including what we predict will be found and were still using it at an increasing rate. Kind of like the people who were cutting down trees on Easter Island faster than they were growing. You can pass that point and still go on with your civilization as if nothing is happening. Kind of like being in a boat and not rowing and you here a sound of rushing water in the distance.

Just because it was hippies and folk singers that made you aware of global changes, that doesn’t mean they are the only ones who believe it’s true.

“Peak Oil” - They point to a date, then they find new ways, technologies and sources to keep feeding our addiction.

Shale oil

Oil sands

Fracking

If the market is there, and the prices are right, they will keep finding ways to produce.

Certain administrations try to keep production costs down through reduced EPA regulation, and sources up by opening up protected areas.

The Best Country that gave them the freedom to screw themselves. They couldn’t have the Big Bad Federal Gov’t telling them what to do to maintain basic services for their people. So they had the freedom to keep costs low while continuing to rake in the profits and hope that nothing bad will happen.

How’s that workin’ for ya? :wink:

they will keep finding ways to produce
I heard this "oil will never run out because of economics" thing a long time ago. It was stupid then and still is. It's funny because it makes some assumption about economics being able to override reality. It's complete fantasy. Meanwhile, the actual economics of solar and wind are blowing oil away. They will eventually run into the same problems, so "meanwhile" is the key word here. All of this ignores any serious consideration of human health, paying as you go, using only as much as you have, not borrowing from your grandchildren, and all sorts of other commonly held axioms of the very conservative.
I heard this “oil will never run out because of economics” thing a long time ago.
It's held up so far...

And of course not “never”. Or I suppose we can discuss the definition of “Oil”

Speaking of fuels only (as “oil” is used to produce many things), there may come a time when it is more economical to produce and consume synthetic fuels over petroleum/crude-based fuels. But that would be the technology advancing to continue to meet the demand

technology advancing to continue to meet the demand -- mrm
that's what I was saying. it will meet the demand. It will not be demanded that it also be safe for everyone and that it will help keep this a planet that is viable for life for another 100,000 years. Capitalism is mindless, it doesn't care. Nature will most likely take care the virus that is humankind and destroy it before we destroy all life. There is nothing "economical" about caring. A minority asks to pay more to take care of more people. It's doubtful that will get better in time for us to reach other planets or mine resources off this planet.

Money is not the issue – Texas can easily connect with the other interstate grids – the issue is they don’t want to.