Do men "own" women?

MA, do you ever think about things before posting nonsense? Please provide some examples of societies that have granted women equal standing to mean and are dying out.
The West. The West is below fertility replacement rate]. By that logic, China is also "dying out" (although they are not exactly known for their recognition of the equality of women).China's low birthrate is due to the 1 child policy they had until recently. Right. They implemented that policy for that purpose. So now, according to your logic, they are "dying out". I didn't realize that the Chinese were so purposefully suicidal.I don't know why they did it - maybe it was a good idea at the time - but intelligent societies make mistakes, too.
MA, do you ever think about things before posting nonsense? Please provide some examples of societies that have granted women equal standing to mean and are dying out.
The West. The West is below fertility replacement rate]. By that logic, China is also "dying out" (although they are not exactly known for their recognition of the equality of women). And perhaps, just maybe, possibly, could there be factors other than women equality at the roots of birth rate declines.There could be, but none have been identified yet. Hello? Hello? Earth to MidA. You just identified China's purposeful decline in "fertility replacement". Then in the very next post, you declare that there are no identified factors (other than women equality) at the roots of birth rate declines.I thought CC was referring to more than just China's situation.
If women had been in charge of their own fertility and were able to make society's rules about reproduction and child care, the world would be a far better place than it is now. Lois
That's true to some extent. It would probably be better for women in general - especially lower class women. It wouldn't be great for society, though.
Owning other members of our species? Then, we are more primitive than we admit.
Indeed we are more primitive than we admit. But we are also a lot more culturally advanced than we were. The latter tends to cover up the former, but the former remains. I think that our future depends on the narrative about our selves that we ultimately choose. Will it be "oo-oo-eee-agh-agh-eee-oogh-eee-agh-aghagh!" or something a bit more sophisticated?
If women had been in charge of their own fertility and were able to make society's rules about reproduction and child care, the world would be a far better place than it is now. Lois
That's true to some extent. It would probably be better for women in general - especially lower class women Overpopulation is not a class problem. It is a universal problem and affects everyone on the planet. . It wouldn't be great for society, though. Why not? Are you saying that societies are better off with more children than can be supported properly? That's what we've had throughout most of modern history and still have today. Women and children come last.

Unfortunately , the future of humanity has already been determined by how evolution has shaped the biological and behavioral characteristics of the human species. When we look through the dim lens of ancient history, and the bloody lens of recent history, we see how humanity has used the physiognomies that evolution has provided to our fragile but intelligent species. With the exception of culture and science, we are the same today as we were thousands of years ago. A child born 20,000 years ago and placed in our current civilization would be a child of the present culture in which it was born with little if any outward indications that the history of its parents vastly predated its current presence in fold of humanity. In the ancient world, what belonged to your neighboring tribe was yours to take if you could, and what you had was yours only as long as you could defend your possession of it. Fundamentally, nothing has changed, the veneer of civilization has gained some thickness, but the depth of our animal nature still controls our basic instincts. One superficial change in the grand scheme of things, is that the fundamental weapon of war is now money rather than rocks, spears, crossbows, guns, and bombs. It was very gradual change over a great many years, however I fear that in not too distant future, a few hundred years if that, it is not impossible that the basic weapon of war will revert from the money necessary to purchase physical weapons, back to the use of physical weapons to obtain what money can now purchase. Perhaps women will once again be taken by force (yeah, unfortunately that still does happen today) rather then by provision of economic security (although there are many exceptions to this in enlightened societies).

Unfortunately , the future of humanity has already been determined by how evolution has shaped the biological and behavioral characteristics of the human species...
Why is it, necessarily, an unfortunate future? The same evolutionary forces have lead to the development of advanced progressive humanistic ideas and culture. We do revert to our primordial nature often times in ways that undermine an advancing progressive culture. Yet the advancing progressive culture exists. It is also part of who we are.

Wow, that was quick… That’s true, TimB, and I sincerely hope that that our common sense, altruistic tendencies, and scientific advancement based on the knowledge that our planet is fragile and our natural resources are finite, will win over the more baser aspects of our evolutionary heritage. But not to kid ourselves, there is a very great deal that we have to overcome in a very short time. I’m afraid, although I hope not, that the best that will happen in the long (hopefully) future that lies ahead of Homo sapiens, that future expansions of the species into world wide civilizations will build on the science and the knowledge of ourselves that we have produced in this iteration of a great population expansion, and produce a more stable and sustainable civilization. Maybe we can push what we have through a funnel of biological and social control and emerge with a stable and altruistic society. I wonder what the odds are for that? (I’ve got to figure out how to do this “quote” thing…)

(I've got to figure out how to do this "quote" thing...)
What part exactly? When you wish to reply...don't hit reply, hit quote. Then delete any words you don't want inside the quote...usually for purposes of brevity.
What part exactly? When you wish to reply...don't hit reply, hit quote. Then delete any words you don't want inside the quote...usually for purposes of brevity. Silly me... who knew that you don't push the reply key first when you want to reply... the quote key comes first. But I still don't see all that fancy pink and indented stuff. I'm just not a child of the digital age...
What part exactly? When you wish to reply...don't hit reply, hit quote. Then delete any words you don't want inside the quote...usually for purposes of brevity. Silly me... who knew that you don't push the reply key first when you want to reply... the quote key comes first. But I still don't see all that fancy pink and indented stuff. I'm just not a child of the digital age... Huh... there it is. It doesn't come up until the post is posted... Who knew? Not me, but maybe I can work it out now, Thanks.
Huh... there it is. It doesn't come up until the post is posted... Who knew? Not me, but maybe I can work it out now, Thanks.
Yeah keep messing with it. There's a little more to it. It took me a long time to figure out all the ins and outs. But you got the basics.

Speaking of women: HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY all you cuties out there ! :kiss: :slight_smile: :wink:

Under no circumstance watch this clip. IT would ruin the concept of manhood altogehter

Under no circumstance watch this clip. IT would ruin the concept of *manhood* altogehter http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtexu6_a-lesson-in-femdom-from-lost-in-space_shortfilms
Hey! You tricked me into watching that Feminist propaganda! Now I think that Hillary should wear the Noble Niolani's prodigiously spiked headgear in her next debate with Bernie. Oh the huMANity!
Under no circumstance watch this clip. IT would ruin the concept of *manhood* altogehter http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtexu6_a-lesson-in-femdom-from-lost-in-space_shortfilms
Hey! You tricked me into watching that Feminist propaganda! Now I think that Hillary should wear the Noble Niolani's prodigiously spiked headgear in her next debate with Bernie. Oh the huMANity! Let's hope she can bring all the men to their knees in the debates.