Did Jesus own slaves?

If I had to bet one way or the other. My money would be on Jesus owning slaves.

Umm, perhaps, if he had the money.

Going by the New Testament, he came from a poor background, and during his three year ministry, he remained poor, with his group relying on charity.

Seems reasonable to think he would have had slaves to door carry luggage, cook and do laundry etc etc, if he had the money.

Once you reject the notion Jesus was divine, it’s easy to imagine him behaving like a pretty ordinary bloke of his time and place.

Jesus was from a rather common background, and his companions were pretty earthy types. I think Jesus would have had a rather vulgar sense of humour. I like to think he would have enjoyed and told fart jokes

The bible does condone slavery so not surprised if he did

I am ok with Jesus telling sex jokes, politically incorrect jokes, racially tinged jokes, sexist jokes, bad language jokes, but I draw the line at fart jokes. That is sacrilege. Not to mention, stinky. imo

“I am ok with Jesus telling sex jokes, politically incorrect jokes, racially tinged jokes, sexist jokes, bad language jokes, but I draw the line at fart jokes. That is sacrilege. Not to mention, stinky. imo”

My bad , I should be whipped. I’ll lend you one of my whips.

In Oz, we punish such evil behaviour by belting the miscreant around the left ear with a maggoty possum. Or by hurling them off the top of Uluru.

a maggoty possum, eh? That seems like a waste of good protein. why the “left” ear?

“a maggoty possum, eh? That seems like a waste of good protein. why the “left” ear?”

---------most people are right handed.

A waste? Yeah, I guess, but probably too far gone if maggoty.

Most Australian native animals are delicious. I’ve only ever eaten 'roo. Indigenous people also eat a wide range of reptiles, including goannas and crocodiles. Plus wombats and emu. Don’t know about echidna. A lot of our birds are edible, but not parrots usually, nor Eagles…

maggots have protein

makes sense about the left ear tho

maggots have protein

True enough. I guess it depends on the level of hunger.

Aborigines also eat witchetty grubs , usually cooked. I have in fact been hungry enough to eat them. Once; army, on exercise. Ration resupply was 24 hours late. They arrived just as my stomach had started to hurt. So of course I pigged out and had to have a bit of a lie down. There were no maggots handy

“The witchetty grub (also spelled witchety grub or witjuti grub[1]) is a term used in Australia for the large, white, wood-eating larvae of several moths. Particularly it applies to the larvae of the cossid moth Endoxyla leucomochla, which feeds on the roots of the witchetty bush (after which the grubs are named) that is widespread throughout Northern Territory and found in parts of Western Australia and South Australia.[2] The term may also apply to larvae of other cossid moths, ghost moths (Hepialidae), and longhorn beetles (Cerambycidae). The term is used mainly when the larvae are being considered as food. The grub is the most important insect food of the desert and has historically been a staple in the diets of Aboriginal Australians.[3]”

I once went for 96 hrs without eating, just to see if I could. I didn’t have pains, and I wasn’t tempted to eat grubs, as I could have eaten whatever I wanted. In the final hour I went grocery shopping. When I got home, before I ate anything I threw up what seemed like gallons of gastric juices, which I assume was elicited by the anticipation of eating.

@TimB

Impressive. I was without food for a bit over 30 hours Not an experience I would care to repeat…

Silly thing to do intentionally though. Teens or early 20’s were you?.

Sounds like you paid for the folly.

I think starving is part of life’s rich tapestry one may happily forego without ruining the pattern. Having a catheter also comes to mind.

At the time I had a co-worker who was a nurse. He had bragged to me about having once gone for many days without eating. So I wanted to see what I could do. The funny thing is, I later told him about my experience with having gone 96 hrs. He seemed incredulous and at that point told me that he had just been bs’ing about going so long without eating. I suppose, I should have been mad or at least embarassed, but I just thought it was sort of funny.

The downside of the whole experience was just not having any energy for that period of time. I did stay hydrated. The throwing up at the end was no big deal, just surprising. I ate soon after.

An unpleasant experience.

Last time I did something on a dare (IE to impress others) I was 12. A kid dared me to jump off the jetty (wharf) to the sand. I did so and hurt my arm. Decided doing thing on a dare was a stupid reason to do anything.—and I didn’t even like that kid.

That was the same year I stopped trying to get a sun tan. My reasoning was pretty good for a 12 year old: If I get a tan, I’ll look like a dago. (insulting slang for an Italian) We don’t like dagos, so why bother with a tan?

Holy sheit, where the hell did that question come from Mike?

What’s going on?

Hi CC,

Sorry for the delay. Had to take a road trip.

What is going on in one word, “typology”.

The Pew Research Center is producing a new system of religious affiliation for research. It is logical by all means, but I didn’t think it takes in the “human factor” about religion.

A quick look at what our one of our top religious scientists that has to deal with the human factor all the time in talking and writing about Jesus thinks about “typology”, Bart Ehrman. Mr. Ehrman says, “The New Testament Gospels are not a reliable historical guide to the life, work, and teachings of Jesus.

Point being, if the NT can’t tell you about Jesus. Do the people who claim Jesus is their God really want to know about life of their God? The work their God did. And the real teachings of their God? People aren’t that stupid. It is the morals and tribal issues that binds them.

My view is that Jesus was progressive and a pre-founder of modern democracy structure theory that our county is basic upon. Jesus is no doubt part of our history and should be given the credit by all Americans.

I agree with Mr. Ehrman. So, I went fishing to see if that was correct. I took a question about the real Jesus at about the level of – should a door be open or closed before trying to walk thru? And the human factor kicked in. People don’t want to know or understand about the real Jesus. Conclusion is that the Pew Research Center’s project will fail. Not saying it will not create a lot of headline surveys. And many will no doubt be posted on this site. The fact is, it is still a decade or two before the people will reach the level of facts over faith that was used by our founding fathers for example.

Point being, for every action there is a reaction. Our founding fathers were reacting to issues just as the Christian movement is reacting to today. Today the atheists and antichristian are attacking religion. When religion is supposed to be part of our system. The deity is not part of our system, but we need the morals that the religion teaching provides. And so far, religion is the best teacher of morals available.

When a person tells you that you need “Jesus” in your life. Once they found “Jesus” their life was whole. What I take that as, they found the “morals” that all humans and civilizations need.

We could get rid of religion altogether, but we better have a system of morals and tribal banding to replace it first.

PatrickD,

I am sorry about not following up on your posting. I keep checking and I cannot get your post to appear. There are 16 out of 16 posting showing up on my computer screen. You are post 17 and there does not seem to be anything I can do to get your posting to show up. It has been over a week now. Can you please try and repost number 17 and let’s see if it will come around.

After the posting above. The number stayed at 17. I don’t know what the heck is going on with this site. Let me know if you did a posting after 16. Thanks.

@June 6, 2019 at 6:16 am - What does any of that aimless rambling have to do with Jesus owning slaves?

If that is aimless rambling, then you do not possess the basic dialectic thoughts about religion outside of the religious bubble. Like I said, ‘The fact is, it is still a decade or two before the people will reach the level of facts over faith that was used by our founding fathers for example.’ You call this subject aimless rambling. No doubt you are two decades away from the ability to view with open-mindedness.

I would suggest if you really want to know. To first understand that America is in a religious bubble right now. Find out when it started and why it started. How the America religious bubble compares to religious bubbles of the past. How religious bubbles evolve and what are the driving forces.

Search words are, religious bubble, Christian bubble, bubble wrapped Christianity, Christian media bubble, Religious Childhood Bubble, New Protective Christian Bubble for Children, a religious bubble beyond the bubble and totalizing bubble.