COVID news and predictions

[quote=“triplex69, post:40, topic:8746, full:true”]
Good science calls for the adoption of the precautionary principle and lockdown response makes sense before we know how this virus affects us.

I agree with early cases before the pandemic. Isolate and try to eradicate before it spreads. This no longer a viable option. The virus is in the general population.

You want to throw this out the window and roll the dice on the most infectious virus the world has ever seen whose health effects we still are uncertain of but know that children appear to the at risk group for this virus?

No, the only "effective " model is 100% vaccination, which does away with the necessity for testing or quarantine.

Testing doesn’t protect you, quarantine doesn’t protect you…
ONLY vaccination protects against infection or at least minimizes the symptoms

Good luck. Hope you are right in that this is tame

I agree, 100% mandatory vaccination is the only most effective way to combat the virus, until we get a vaccine that renders the virus itself impotent. Then we just deal with virus itself without need for personal anti-bodies.

That’s yet to be determined for this strain. In the meantime young kids are at risk without a lockdown to stop the spread

You cannot treat this piecemeal. Only 100% this or that can contain this scourge. Half-way measures are bound to fail. We are going to have to learn to think like a virus.

IMO, the perfect defense lies in preventing viral quorum sensing that triggers virulence.

You are treating it peacemeal without lockdown in your tool kit. Wonder what your attitude would be to lockdown if the virus was Ebola? Lockdowns still unacceptable?

Lockdowns are acceptable but costly, not only in terms of money, but also psychologically.

In 2020, locksdowns have provoked a strong increase in the number of psychological diseases. the children have been specially affected. the closing of schools has been a disaster.

But in the beginnings of 2020, we had no masks, no tests, no vaccines.

Lockdowns can be accepted when necessary and then must be applied strictly and as soon as needed but if alternative exist and allow us to fight the disease, they must be preferred.

The big matter is the health service which is imploding under the strain.

With vaccine and safety measures, France could pass the 2021 summer without any lockdown and manage the wave.

Variant D and Omicron have changed the data. Our government has chosen not to lockdown us, i hope he is right. In fact he is betting that with a big majority of the population being vaccinated, our health service will be able to cope.

In fact, with more than 200 000 daily new cases, and that’s roughly four times the number during the first wave, we have half the number of entry in hospital and less than half the number of entries in intensive care units.

Many members of my family have got the COVID recently, all being vaccinated, they are mild cases. We will have to learn to live with it.

Honestly, i am not over optimistic.

The hospitals have announced that because of this COVID wave, they must prioritize the patients admitted in ICU and postpone some surgery, even if really necessary, for cancer or heart, among them.

To sum up, the French government has taken strong mesures, short of lockdown and curfew, i hope he is right, but I am worried.

What is the remedy for positive infection under any circumstance?

Vaccination, no? 100% vaccination is the only “full measure” against the disease.

It will reduce any symptoms and yield the lowest number of deaths, with a minimal interruption of normal life.

Everything else is merely diagnostic or impacting normal life.

100% vaccination solves all problems. There is no better cure that the cure. Everything else is a waste of time and money.

We are not dealing with Ebola or Leprosy that are extremely virulent and more often cause death than immunity. But they are also rare and can be treated with quarantine (removal from the public sphere)

COVID is nowhere near that virulent and can be vaccinated against. But testing or quarantining doesn’t cure anything.

That is where you start with a pandemic disease. 100% mandatory vaccination. There is no other “cure” or “effective preventive” procedure.

If you want to live and minimize risk of dying; Vaccination, vaccination, vaccination!!!

I fully agree !

But lockdowns can be necessary to break the transmission of the virus for a time.

In spring of 2020, without lock down, the health services would have crashed and the number of dead would have been multiplied by 4 or something like that.

1 Like

@ibelieveinlogic

Great line buried in long post from Morgan,
“. Though framing a patient as vaccinated or unvaccinated doesn’t change the ventilator settings or the medications we give, I worry about the insidious effect of the frustration that we feel and how we balance that real and understandable anger with empathy.”

Medical people don’t change their actions based on how they got there. Some used to, and we called that prejudice.

So, I was curious about reinfection rates / information.
One article I found summarized “Report 49” from Imperial College London from mid-December

The Omicron variant largely evades immunity from past infection or two vaccine doses according to the latest Imperial modelling.

Article
Some of the technical details are out of my pay grade, but I get the gist of it.

The study also found no evidence of lower severity than delta. (Remember, lack of evidence is not evidence of not … or something like that)

So we may assume that any further mutations/variants that take hold may be even better at immune escape - since they would be even “more different” than the original.

But we cannot assume it will be of lower severity.

NEJM

This one found that, in Qatar, if you had “alpha”, you had pretty good immunity against “beta” - this was before Delta or Omicron.

Would you still boil potatoes if they were oranges?

1 Like

I agree, but the whole world must be vaccinated and richer, more prosperous countries must help the poorer ones, starting with the African Countries, India, etc.

Yes, self-preservation demands helping others.

1 Like

62 % of America is double dosed which is s@@thouse. What are you going to do with the large unvaccinated population?? And what does fully vax even mean? Such an arduous term. Israel is in the 4th does which mean you and all
Other Americans are nit fully vaxxed

Declare Martial Law and vaccinate everybody ! Those who refuse to be vaccinated are quarantined, as they did with the Japanese citizens during WWII.

It keeps both them and the public at large separate so there can be no cross contamination. The vaccinated people don’t have to worry.

It’s the non-vaccinated people who must be protected and kept safe from the general population. Quarantining is for their own good.

How’s that for a solution?

1 Like

TRUMP!!!

No, Trump recommended injecting or drinking bleach. His form of solving a pandemic is everybody dies so he can have it all.

1 Like

Two shots of Pfizer or Moderna or one shot of J&J. Boosted (third shot) is a plus, but the CDC may change that definition to be boosted as fully vaccinated. I’ll take a fourth dose in a few a months, if needed. I have no problem with that. I rather get vaccinated (for any illness) than get the illness.

How you going to make the unvaccinated take it?

We won’t. They’ll start dropping and Darwin Awards will be passed out, leaving those of us who get vaccinated and stay well vaccinated to continue living.