A Big Change in Australia

Not long ago Australia was forcing extremely stringent lockdowns. And now this.

As 2021 drew to a close, many Australians were cautiously optimistic that the worst of the Covid-19 pandemic was behind them. After enduring rolling lockdowns, and surpassing rigorous vaccine targets, it seemed the worst was over.But even as Prime Minister Scott Morrison declared it was now possible to “live with this virus,” the highly transmissible omicron variant hit. COVID-19 cases rose from just over 1,000 cases a day to over 100,000 a day. Some of the hallmarks of the pandemic that Australia has been able to avoid are now becoming apparent – including a buckling healthcare system and empty grocery shelves.

Strangely enough, through this surge in virus cases, many Australian states and territories are holding the line and allowing the virus to circulate in their communities, which critics have labeled the “let it rip” approach.
Should we be doing this?
Dr. Kieran Quinn, a clinician-scientist at Toronto’s Mount Sinai Hospital, says he has noticed a shift in attitude among many in the public as preventive vigilance has eroded into resignation that infection seems inevitable, reports CTV News Canada.
As Omicron gains a reputation as a “mild” virus variant, Quinn says he sees why some people might feel tempted to “let it rip” in hopes of moving on from the pandemic’s latest and in some cases most overwhelming wave.

Interesting. Covid seems to have decided already to “let it rip”. Fauci said recently that just about everyone is going to get Covid at some point, so Australia is not alone in this attitude.

The first thing that comes to mind is how this will cause even more damage the public’s opinion on experts, and who can blame them?

Blockquote

since the beginnings, the matters are to protect the health system, to reduce the number of severe cases and of death.

If you have a variant which is 6 times less deadly but 6 times more contagious, you have as many daily cases and as many serious cases and death than with a more dangerous but less contagious variant.

The key is the vaccine.

In France 85 % of people are protected by vaccine. The 15 % remaining are responsible of half people in hospital and a bigger proportion of people in ICU.

Most viruses lose their strength after 3/4 years at most. We live with flu.

Saying everyone will get it eventually is not a reason to let it rip. You are ignoring to many factors

Letting it rip is going to increase the death toll. That’s why the U.S. is #1 in COVID-19 deaths. However, I think the article you point to is a day late. Australia has since retracted that decision, but they aren’t going with 0 cases either. That said, their case counts and deaths will increase greatly.

From the horse’s mouth, COVID-19 updates from ABC (Aussie News): COVID updates: Australia records highest daily number of reported COVID-19 deaths — as it happened - ABC News

I fully agree ! We cannot let it rip. At least as long it is so deadly and , if not deadly, so damaging.

okay, I didn’t understand your point, or your question, or if it was a point or a question

Australia reversed the decision? :laughing:

Maybe the authorities down under are trying to shatter the public’s trust. Either way it doesn’t change the fact that nearly everyone is going to get Covid no matter what.

[quote=“thatoneguy, post:7, topic:8927”]
Either way it doesn’t change the fact that nearly everyone is going to get Covid no matter what. [/quote]

That maybe true, but it won’t be as bad if people get fully vaccinated and boosted. (I don’t know what happened to the quote deal.)

You don’t have a paragraph break between your last word and the “[/quote]” code.

Amen to that. As a Covid-19 Survivor I can attest, that it’s much better to have a couple of days feeling lousy with flu like symptoms - than spending a month or two in bed struggling to survive and get over the thing, as some anti-vaccine delusionals I know have had to endure.

In fact, recuperating from my second booster shot as we speak. Great excuse to be lazy and take an extra nap or two, for a day or two.

No, I don’t think that is it.

Yes, this is very true. My family didn’t get it before being vaccinated, but older son got it after getting vaccinated and boosted. I would have hated to see what it would have been like for him if he wasn’t vaccinated and boosted. I might not be talking about him having it. I might be talking about him having and dying from it. It was bad for him or that is, he was very miserable, but he didn’t end up in the hospital and he’s still alive today to talk about it.

[quote=“mriana, post:10, topic:8927”]
No, I don’t think that is it.[/quote]

Did you try? :v:t4:

abcdefg

I think you mean a colon is missing. I studied it and the difference is a colon is missing.

Nope. In the first I deleted a space which moved the “[/quote]” onto the same line
The second one has the “[/quote]” on its own line. (I didn’t add or delete any colon.) :hugs: