Covid Lab Leak

The theory that covid possibly “escaped” from a lab is gaining traction with scientists.

The United States’ top health official called Tuesday for a swift follow-up investigation into the coronavirus’s origins amid renewed questions about whether the virus jumped from an animal host into humans in a naturally occurring event or escaped from a lab in Wuhan, China.

Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra told an annual ministerial meeting of the World Health Organization that international experts should be given “the independence to fully assess the source of the virus and the early days of the outbreak.”

Becerra’s remarks, which were prerecorded, signaled that the Biden administration would continue to press the WHO to expand its investigation to determine the virus’s origins.

As the coronavirus ravaged the United States and much of the world last year, an early theory was that it emerged from a market in Wuhan that sold meat from wild animals raised in captivity and then swiftly spread across the globe. Experts in viral genome evolution determined that it almost certainly was not engineered as a bioweapon because it has several naturally occurring features and is closely related to a 2014 coronavirus that came from a bat in a cave in China. But they also said they could not rule out that the virus may have escaped from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a research lab that studies coronaviruses.

While the lab leak theory was initially dismissed as unlikely, recent reports about the hospitalization of Wuhan lab researchers in November 2019 — weeks before the virus was identified in that city — have given it new traction. A WHO-led team concluded in February that a lab leak was extremely unlikely after visiting the Wuhan facility, but some international scientists and researchers said the findings were tainted by politics and called for further investigation.

At a White House briefing Tuesday, Anthony S. Fauci, the government’s leading infectious-disease expert, said he believes it’s most likely the virus originated from a “natural occurrence.” But he said a deeper probe is warranted.

“Because we don’t know 100 percent what the origin is, it’s imperative that we look and we do an investigation,” Fauci said.

I doubt we will ever know for sure, but this is a big change of direction. Distrust of scientists, politicians, and media is already widespread this could be a potential tipping point.

Okay, we’ll see how the evidence adds up. Those hospitalized lab workers is an eye opener. Of course, it’s worth mentioning none of any of that evidence is pointing at malicious intent.

That didn’t start happening until the moron trump started screwing with previous protocol, mainly leaving the experts who understood what was happening to run the show.

In the end, even if it’s proven that COVID19 escaped the lab - it’s not like it’s the first novel Corona Virus to assail humanity - it certainly doesn’t come close to the Trump Horror, him and his crony profiteers and that rotten bunch of GOP leaders are the ones who turned the outbreak into a global pandemic, make no doubt about it.

=============================

A pandemic plan was in place. Trump abandoned it — and science — in the face of Covid-19

By Jason Karlawish May 17, 2020

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/17/the-art-of-the-pandemic-how-donald-trump-walked-the-u-s-into-the-covid-19-era/

… In June 2009, the recently inaugurated Obama had given his PCAST advisors their first assignment: What does the president need to do to prepare for an influenza pandemic? Five weeks later, on Aug. 7, they gave him their answers at a meeting in the White House’s State Dining Room.

The story of this meeting and the ensuing eight years of science-informed policy making, which I have drawn from interviews with members of PCAST and internet archives of documents, show a president comfortable with having back-and-forth discussions with an assembly of the some of the nation’s top scientific minds. The president was committed to integrating science into his day-to-day decisions. One of those decisions was how to plan for and respond to the outbreak of a pandemic illness.

Over the course of the Obama presidency, a pandemic infrastructure was put in place. It included recommendations for a top-level White House official devoted to planning and responding to emerging infectious threats and, to guide that person’s work, the “Playbook for early response to high-consequence emerging infectious disease threats and biological incidents.”

And then on Jan. 21, 2017, Donald Trump became president.

Beginning the morning after his inauguration, a spectacular science-related tragedy has unfolded. The Trump administration has systematically dismantled the executive branch’s science infrastructure and rejected the role of science to inform policy, essentially reversing both Republican and Democrat presidential administrations since World War II, when Vannevar Bush, an engineer, advised Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman.

President Trump’s pursuit of anti-science policy has been so effective that as the first cases of Covid-19 were breaking out in Wuhan, China, no meaningful science policy infrastructure was in place to advise him. As a consequence, America is suffering from a pandemic without a plan. Our responses are ineffectual and inconsistent. We are increasingly divided by misinformation and invidious messaging. And it’s not even over.

Timeline of Trump’s Coronavirus Responses

April 6, 2021 -

Congressman Lloyd D’oggetto, 35th District Texas

May 2018
The Trump Administration disbands the White House pandemic response team.
July 2019
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) epidemiologist embedded in China’s disease control agency left the post, and the Trump Administration eliminated the role.
Oct. 2019
“Currently, there are insufficient funding sources designated for the federal government to use in response to a severe influenza pandemic.” [Source: The results of a Department of Health and Human Services 2019 influenza pandemic simulation]
Jan. 22, 2020
“We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”

Oh does this timeline get interesting: https://doggett.house.gov/media-center/blog-posts/timeline-trump-s-coronavirus-responses

Congressman Lloyd D’oggetto, 35th District Texas

All the President’s Lies About the Coronavirus

An unfinished compendium of Trump’s overwhelming dishonesty during a national emergency

CHRISTIAN PAZ, NOVEMBER 2, 2020

President Donald Trump has repeatedly lied about the coronavirus pandemic and the country’s preparation for this once-in-a-generation crisis.

Here, a collection of the biggest lies he’s told as the nation endures a public-health and economic calamity.

This post will be updated as needed. www_theatlantic_com/politics/archive/2020/11/trumps-lies-about-coronavirus/608647/

One for the road.

How Trump let Covid-19 win

Trump’s magical thinking couldn’t beat the coronavirus. America is stuck with the consequences.

By German Lopez, Sep 22, 2020, VOX

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/21366624/trump-covid-coronavirus-pandemic-failure

The Easter episode, experts said, exemplified the magical thinking that has animated Trump’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic before and after the novel coronavirus reached the US. It’s a problem that’s continued through September — with Trump and those under him flat-out denying the existence of a resurgence in Covid-19, falsely claiming rising cases were a result of more tests. With every day, week, and month that the Trump administration has tried to spin a positive story, it’s also resisted stronger action, allowing the epidemic to drag on.

A pandemic was always likely to be a challenge for the US, given the country’s large size, fragmented federalist system, and libertarian streak. The public health system was already underfunded and underprepared for a major disease outbreak before Trump.

Yet many other developed countries dealt with these kinds of problems too. Public health systems are notoriously underfunded worldwide. Australia, Canada, and Germany, among others, also have federalist systems of government, individualistic societies, or both — and they’ve all fared much better.

Instead, experts said, it’s Trump’s leadership, or lack thereof, that really sets the US apart. Before Covid-19, Trump and his administration undermined preparedness — eliminating a White House office set up by the previous administration to combat pandemics, making cuts across other key parts of the federal government, and proposing further cuts.

Once the coronavirus arrived, Trump downplayed the threat, suggesting that it would soon disappear “like a miracle.” The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) took weeks to fix botched tests, and the administration actively abdicated control of issues to local, state, and private actors. …

Goes into some more details, worth keeping in mind before history gets rewritten by the GOP totalitarians.

I don’t know how to give an opinion on that! We don’t even get out of the pandemic and we can face a war!?! IDK ?

It is possible that China is covering up a laboratory accident. I wouldn’t put it past them, but then again, it could be zoonotic. We won’t know unless we can have a real investigation.

Here’s an article to contribute to the conversation on this topic:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/952040?src=mkm_covid_update_210528_MSCPEDIT&uac=357905CZ&impID=3406800&faf=1

Joe Biden orders US intelligence to intensify efforts to study Covid’s origin

with the completely unbiased subhead: “President also asks US intelligence community to explore the unlikely possibility that virus origins trace to Chinese lab”

Joe Biden has ordered the US intelligence community to intensify its efforts to study the origins of coronavirus, adding that it will continue to press for China to participate in a full investigation.

The president said he received a report earlier this month with the “most up-to-date analysis of the origins of Covid-19”, but had asked intelligence agencies to “redouble” their efforts to identify a “definitive conclusion” on how the virus was first transmitted in humans.

“I have now asked the intelligence community to redouble their efforts to collect and analyze information that could bring us closer to a definitive conclusion, and to report back to me in 90 days. As part of that report, I have asked for areas of further inquiry that may be required, including specific questions for China,” Biden said in a statement on Wednesday.

So is this straight up weaponising the Covid pandemic, possibly with a side order of pandering to the Trumpistas, or are they paving the way for a change of narrative on the origin of Covid?

Facts and truth are what matters first.

If Trump tells that the sky is cloudy, i look at the sky and if he right, i admit that.

Matter is that there are cues which lead to questions. The questions are legitimate. If you deny the legitimacy of the question, you feed the conspiracy theories and you strengthen Trump.

Morgan may I politely remind you of the trump mantra “China virus”? What you are saying is you wish Joe well in morphing into trump with regards to China

@sabolina No it’s an attempt to find the actual source of the pandemic, not weaponize the pandemic. IF the lab had an accident, it will lead to more regulations to prevent this in the future. IF it’s zoonotic then we’ll have to find a way to prevent that from happening again, though I doubt we will succeed given past pandemics.

BTW, dumptheguardian is a right wing deal, which IMO isn’t a reliable source. Not only that, the link redirects to the Wayback machine when the article was just posted. I don’t trust your link in any way, shape, or form, because of that.

The counter act the stupidity of the Reich wing media, here is the original link, just posted May 27 and shouldn’t be in the Wayback Machine, which I WILL link direct to because it is legit, unlike the Reich wing crap of dumptheguardian. Reich wing crap, what can you do, except counteract with truth, instead of propaganda, diversion, or manipulation.

If Trump tells that the sky is cloudy, i look at the sky and if he right, i admit that.
The problem is that Trump tells you the sky is clear while it is cloudy and people don't look up to check if he is lying.

Exactly, @write4u. This why we need the original, direct source, and not Reich wing redirection and other BS. I could have made it in moderator blue because of the redirection, but I didn’t. We also need to correct the Reich wing lies with the truth of the matter. The last think we want is COVID stupidity, causing another outbreak, but I guess denial of COVID and its source, as well as vaccines against it, in various ways will be with us forever.

I would just encourage everyone to distinguish between “lab leak” and “man made”.

Labs can and do store natural samples for study. And after SARS1 in 2003, this would be a very obvious thing for people to do - to surveil the natural environment and see what is really out there.

I would just encourage you to watch out for that bait-n-switch between “lab leak” and “man made” when assessing whether a story has an agenda. Especially if the leadline says “man made” and the body of the story says “lab leak”

case in point

Thank-you,

@sabolina lab leak and manmade are the same thing. If it’s zoonotic then it’s not exactly manmade, but because we crossed the line it jumped from one species to another. What is the line? That’s I don’t quite have a grasp on, but it also relates to Climate Change.

You made contradictory statements about man made and lab leak

Where? If I did, then I apologize for that, because that’s not what I meant. I do not see that I called them both (lab and zoonotic) manmade.

As much as I understand, either it jumps directly from animal to man, man made, either it comes from an animal is changed by man to be able to infest him.

Anyway, if it passed by the Chinese laboratory, China is accountable for the epidemic. the cost would be tremendous and behind the monetary cost, a loss of " face", meaning personal respect, reputation, honor. dignity and so.

Face is a very important concept in many Asian countries.

Morgan - lots of if in your words. If one can speculate from one direction, one may also speculate from the other. Agree?
what if was the U.S. military might have brought the coronavirus to the Chinese city of Wuhan. Would you equally claim america is accountable and must now not “lose face “ to the international community?

There is no factual or scientific foundation for the claim that the virus originated in a Chinese laboratory. To date, the only evidence presented by the White House, the US intelligence agencies and the media to support the claim is that employees at the Wuhan Institute of Virology became ill in late 2019 with symptoms that a State Department report acknowledged are “consistent with … common seasonal illnesses.”