Climate Change

Probably an adaption of the term Flax Shives

What are flax Shives?

Flaxstic™ is a combination of flax straw ‘waste’, plant-based biopolymers, and recycled materials. The flax shive provides the biopolymers with added texture, impact resistance and an eco-friendly appearance, while maintaining the biodegradability and compostability of the biopolymer.

Perhaps Hemp offers a similar by-product to produce Hemp shives .

1 Like

“I have done my research and it seems to me that those who are gung-ho on hemp ha”
Can you cite your sources and explain why hemp is bad for the environment?

To Mr Head.
Enjoy your new road tolls

• But a preliminary [list] of nearly a dozen potential financing sources included something called “asset recycling”*

So you have a crystal ball?

“Communities across the country have been ripped off by public-private schemes that enrich corporations and Wall Street investors. The most sensible infrastructure solution is to provide robust public funding for publicly-owned projects, which would discourage price-gouging by corporate interests, protect public control over these precious assets, and save everyone money. The most comprehensive funding solution on the table is the WATER Act (HR1352, S916), which would provide $35 billion a year to fully fund the state revolving funds and other programs at the level that is needed.

What are you saying?
You want to toss the whole infrastructure bill because parts of it might be funded by privatization?

Does that fall under baby with the bathwater, or perfection in the way of progress?

The selling off of public assets in fire sales to private financiers. We have lots of experience with infrastructure privatization

With enough regulation it could work.
The Space industry seems to be flourishing where once it was solely gov’t territory.

Would be akin to the selling off of the space station to Virgin Galactic

SpaceX- OK
Virgin Galactic - No!!

I’m not sure it will. Too many greedy coal and oil corporations.

We interrupt the preceding program, for a reality break.

State of our life supporting biosphere, August 2021

We needed a change in priorities, gain a little humility, curiosity to understand this planet Earth that created us and the past 10~ K years of optimal climate condition for humanity to really see what it could really do given unlimited power and resources.

But then, you know what they say about absolute power, corrupting absolutely.

People had the knowledge to understand what kind of humongous monster we were messing with since the '50s and '60s, with firm scientific confirmations stacking up in the '70s. We squandered a half century on frivolously bullshit.

Gonna take a lot of internal spiritual fortitude to keep up with the downfall.

Ironically, shortly I will be on my second cross country drive to help transplant young family’s with all the hopes that every other generation in history had. Some clown was trying to browbeat me about what I tell my grandchild, or children, siblings. I don’t discuss it. When the matter comes up I keep it spare and get back to living today. Might as well enjoy our nice todays while we can, best as we can, while we have them.

:cry:

Speaking about reality check
There is no will to fight CC

b is back!

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2021/08/there-is-no-will-to-fight-climate-change.html#more

The recently published report, Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis, by the United Nation’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is grim:

B.1.3. Global warming of 1.5°C relative to 1850-1900 would be exceeded during the 21st century under the intermediate, high and very high scenarios considered in this report. Under the five illustrative scenarios, in the near term (2021-2040), the 1.5°C global warming level is very likely to be exceeded under the very high GHG emissions scenario, likely to be exceeded under the intermediate and high GHG emissions scenarios, more likely than not to be exceeded under the low GHG emissions scenario and more likely than not to be reached under the very low GHG emissions scenario.

The global reductions of Green House Gases (GHG) which are required to fit even the intermediate scenario are unlikely to be reached with the current policies:

The time has come to voice our fears and be honest with wider society. Current net zero policies will not keep warming to within 1.5°C because they were never intended to. They were and still are driven by a need to protect business as usual, not the climate. If we want to keep people safe then large and sustained cuts to carbon emissions need to happen now. That is the very simple acid test that must be applied to all climate policies. The time for wishful thinking is over.

The reasons are of course political. There is a lot of lobbying for policies which continue the output of GHG while there is little immediate interest in reducing them. A decade ago Peter Lee had already done the math. Looking back at what happened since he lays out a list of failures:

The United States under Joe Biden has doubled down on the absurd narrative that the United States has the national capacity and moral stature to lead the world’s response to climate change.

Let me dismiss this claim in a few words.

First, the doom of the climate change regime was sealed when the United States refused to ratify the Kyoto Protocol in 1998.

It was double doomed when the United States under Barack Obama imposed a successor regime that eliminated legally binding caps for anyone.

It was triple doomed when Donald Trump withdrew from the Paris Agreement.

It was quadruple doomed when the United States under Joe Biden decided that its highest priority and organizing principle of policy was to treat the People’s Republic of China as America’s prime geopolitical adversary.

Doom doom de doom doom doom. You get the picture.

It is not only the U.S. which is guilty here. All political system seem to prefer short term rewards over avoiding future pain., especially when others can be plausibly blamed for the outcome. The U.S. is just the most hypocritical actor here.

That Joe Biden is still playing nice with the fossil fuel industry demonstrates the mechanism:

The Biden administration is now on track to approve more oil and gas drilling on public lands—activity that accounts for a quarter of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions—than any administration since George W. Bush. Climate envoy John Kerry has balked at the idea of committing the U.S. to a coal phaseout. Politicians who call themselves climate hawks are still going out of their way to make clear that there’s a vibrant future ahead for the companies that funded climate denial, whose business model remains built around burning up and extracting as many fossil fuels as possible. Administration officials, meanwhile, have talked repeatedly about the need to cap warming at 1.5 degrees Celsius.

This is climate denial.

Just look at the recent infrastructure bill:

Many of the bill’s provisions are on the oil industry’s wish list. The proposed legislation has more than $10 billion for carbon capture, transport and storage — a suite of technologies fossil fuel companies hope will allow them to extend their license to operate for years, if not decades. There’s also $8 billion for hydrogen — with no stipulation that the energy used to produce it comes from clean sources. A new liquid natural gas plant in Alaska won billions in loan guarantees, while other waivers in the bill will weaken environmental reviews of new construction projects, experts say.

“This infrastructure proposal is not a down payment on real climate action,” said Mitch Jones, director of Food & Water Watch Policy, a Washington accountability organization. “It is doubling down on support for climate polluters.”

Just yesterday Biden confirmed his pro fossil fuel position by asking for cheaper pollution:

President Joe Biden on Wednesday afternoon added to the pressure on the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, after one of his top advisers said earlier in the day that OPEC and its allies “must do more” to support the economic recovery.

Oil futures recently traded higher, but they had retreated earlier Wednesday after U.S. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan pressed OPEC and its allies to further boost output and described a recent agreement to increase production as “simply not enough.”

Which lets me agree with Peter Lee’s scary conclusion:

Lacking a time machine that can take us back to 1998 when we still had a chance to turn things around–or a nice big catastrophic war that wipes out enough humanity and industrial capacity to accomplish the same thing–it might be up to the planet to deal with the problem herself: churning up enough sea level rise, weather calamity, drought, famine, and disease to reduce the human load on the planet by the ugliest means imaginable.

That’s all the climate change optimism I can muster, and that’s it!

This not a pessimistic view but a realistic one. It does not mean that we should give up. All of us, personally and politically, should try to reduce our environmental footprint as much as we can.

Unfortunately that is neither easy nor convenient to do.

Yeah, yeah, so you understand why it’s easy to be cynical.
I’m already living in a 600 sq ft cabin, living a fairly minimalist life style entire life, (being aware that in American we haven’t a clue at what mininalist life style looks at for real poor peoples of the world). What little spare time I do get is. mostly consumed with trying to understand and better define the problems at the roots, do a better job of explaining and telling the story, with some success I might add.

So I don’t understand why it seems like you’re always trying play me for mrs’s in your Punch’ Judy routine. What up Tex?

Cc’s Elevator Pitch

Coal and Gas may be around for a while longer, but at present rate of consumption, Oil will run out in about 42 years.

76,476,062 Oil pumped today (barrels)

1,464,908,738,029 Oil left (barrels)

15,277 Days to the end of oil (~42 years)

Please mriana, noone is going to cut rainforests down to make room for hemp.

Hemp can grow anywhere with very little water and very poor soil. That is the extraordinary utility of this plant. It grows where very little else can grow.

It can also be used as a rotating crop with other cash crops.
IT DOES NOT REPLACE ANYTHING, IT AUGMENTS EVERYTHING .

Hemp grows prolifically with little water and no pesticides. It takes up relatively little space, produces more pulp per acre than trees and is biodegradable. It’s fast-growing, doesn’t require a lot of input, grows in marginal areas and has the ability to produce large amounts of biomass in as little as 60 to 90 days. Used as a cover crop, hemp can improve soil properties, reduce soil erosion, conserve soil water and recycle plant nutrients.
…more
https://abq.news/2021/04/hemp-is-the-new-cash-crop/

I’m starting to think we need to open a discussion about hemp and keep this thread strictly to Climate Change. The subject of hemp is digressing away from Climate Change, so please start a new thread about hemp growing.

150 years of gas and 400 years of coal. Not that we’ll need it. Hemp.

Keep it in the ground

You are forgetting the caviat: “at current consumption levels.”

You will need to re calculate the exponential function when oil runs out and there is greater demand for gas and coal. Those “current” estimates will drop in a hurry .

However I do agree with the concept of planting industrial Hemp, for a miriad of reasons other than using hemp as a source of energy, because that would again release all the sequestered CO2 back into the atmosphere, and we want Hemp to scrub and make durable goods only.