Climate Change

The plant and yes, marijuana is hemp. I didn’t know this until I was in high school and had asthma like attacks using the girls room. Girls were smoking joints in the bathroom. So when my parents had me tested for allergies, the allergist tested for hemps (marijuana being one) and ironically, I’m one of the few people who are allergic to it. I didn’t know marijuana was a hemp plant until then. My older son has the same issue and has an asthma like attack when he’s around it. Haven’t had him tested, but given I have the same reaction and was tested, due to a reason for them to do so, we figure he is too.

We are in agreement, but what does that have to do with agriculture? Your are mistaken in the belief belief that Hemp is only good for mopping up CO2, which it IS! But it is so much more!

You are underestimating the beneficial utilities of the Hemp plant It is not only a perfectly acceptable agricultural crop it is a desirable alternate crop as it has many restorative properties for the soil itself.

Hemp: A New Crop with New Uses for North America*

Ernest Small and David Marcus

Hemp is used to make a variety of commercial and industrial products, including rope, textiles, clothing, shoes, food, paper, bioplastics, insulation, and biofuel .

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-284.html

I understand, but nobody smokes Hemp, it is a completely different beast and I doubt very much that your hemp car panel or your house insulation is going to make you sick. They are made to sequester CO2 and everything else that may be an active bio-chemical.

You’d have to eat a product made from hemp seed to experience any allergic reaction.

That post in no way violates any of our guidelines. Constantly telling others what they should post, that does violate our guidelines. If you don’t like a post that explains how climate works, you might want to stay away from a thread about climate change. If you are taking that personal, that’s on you.

1 Like

The rope has always caused me rashes.

Anyway, hemp, as I said before is actually bad for the environment, much like Palm oil is. In order to grow and cultivate it, it takes land and who’s habitat will be destroyed? Palm oil is also a money maker, in which large swaths of land is taken, destroying the homes of many great apes. What you are suggesting will do the same thing, unless you want to take all those corn and wheat fields and turn them into hemp fields, but keep in mind, it is a weed and weeds expand to other areas, choking out other plants that are very much needed for the environment. I still stand by my solar, wind, and water for energy. If you want CO2 sucked up, trying replanting the much needed rainforest that other apes live in. They’d sure appreciate having their home rebuilt. Replacing the lungs of the planet is a great way to have CO2 exchange and not further destroy our environment.

@mriana

I think “the weed” is here to stay.

Once industry and investments team up:
Market Outlook

BTW: @mriana and @lausten Love the upgrade and how easy it was to do that stuff above.

Probably much like palm oil. I’m sure if there is enough protest against taking wildlife’s habitats then maybe it can be contained, but even then it’s iffy as to what growing it does to the environment.

Ah, yes.

Anyway, hemp, as I said before is actually bad for the environment, much like Palm oil is. In order to grow and cultivate it, it takes land and who’s habitat will be destroyed? Palm oil is also a money maker, in which large swaths of land is taken, destroying the homes of many great apes. What you are suggesting will do the same thing, unless you want to take all those corn and wheat fields and turn them into hemp fields, but keep in mind, it is a weed and weeds expand to other areas, choking out other plants that are very much needed for the environment.

No, mriana, you need to research hemp a little more. This plant is one of the most beneficial crop plants in the practice of agriculture. It does not replace anything or overrun anything. It is a cash crop ust like any other cash crop. In fact it is a beneficial rotating crop plant . Read up on it and marvel at the utility of this “shunned” plant.
I do understand your aversion, but as I said before I’d rather have a hemp rash than choking to death on CO2.

I still stand by my solar, wind, and water for energy.

I am in complete agreement and I don’t see Hemp as a viable bio-fuel. Don’t mix the two completely different uses.

If you want CO2 sucked up, trying replanting the much needed rainforest that other apes live in. They’d sure appreciate having their home rebuilt. Replacing the lungs of the planet is a great way to have CO2 exchange and not further destroy our environment.

Again I am in total agreement with you. The wonderful part is that hemp can be used to replace many wood products, thereby saving the rainforests , not replacing them!

One IMPORTANT detail you are overlooking is that 1 acre of hemp will scrub as much CO2 as 20 acres of trees. Do you see the spatial advantage in that fact?

Plant 1 acre of harvestable hemp and you save 20 acres of old growth rainforest!!!

“Anyway, hemp, as I said before is actually bad for the environment, much like Palm oil is.”
Are you able to back this up?

"In order to grow and cultivate it, it takes land and who’s habitat will be destroyed
? "

Here is the breakdown of land use. If it takes away animal grazing land and the land used for crops to feed said animals that would be a good thing

1 Like

Is the underlying expectation, maintaining today’s standards?

I ask because that’s what it sounds like to me.

Is anyone ready to do with less?

Do folks out there believe our standard of living can be maintained?

I didn’t say it didn’t. And I didn’t.

How quaint, they still call it that in Wisconsin!

To Mr Head
The infrastructure bill is connected to the budget reconciliation bill which holds the climate change action funding and is what some corporate democrats are trying to kill.
Interesting the corporations are all for the infrastructure bill as it will be an enabler for the privatisation of public assets which is the DNA of neo liberal capitalism

It’s all man-made though and probably wouldn’t be as good as an actual rainforest. I seriously doubt it would save anything and BTW, I have done my research and it seems to me that those who are gung-ho on hemp haven’t read everything there is on the subject and think, “Oh WOW! Hemp is so great! It has so many uses and can even be used medically. It’s a wonder crop!” No, it’s not, but OK, whatever. Hemp lovers will be gung-ho on their favourite weed. Personally, I like the California Redwoods and the rainforest. I don’t think there is a single ape out there would appreciate their rainforest turned into a hemp crop and calling that saving their home. It’s destroying it, much like palm oil has.

Where does it say that? What are you getting at?

I didn’t catch where anyone was wanting to cut down forests to plant hemp. As DJ alluded to, it could be used to replace other current crops. Or Agri-corps work it into their rotation. I’m sure by now they have some kind of science-business model they could modify.

If there is a sudden disdain for meat because of the methane production, not only will the beef and pork farmers be hurt, but so will the farming that supplies for the beef and pork. So they could find something else to farm.

But the demand also needs to increase.

Citing the bible in an attempt to glean what our future climate will be like in 10 or 20 years is tantamount to Ancient Roman soothsayers slicing open the guts of goat and making predictions about the quivering movement of its intestines.

@ post #510 - Aug 14, 7:48 PM

Back to that marijuana graph, what are “shives” ?

I had to look it up -
Shives, also known as shoves, boon or hurd, are the wooden refuse removed during processing flax, hemp, or jute , as opposed to the fibres (tow). … Shives have traditionally been a by-product of fiber production.

Kind of like “Other” :wink:

It’s odd how those who refuse to believe we’re in a climate emergency seem to resort to the default position of personal invective or groundless suspicion that those of an opposing view are somehow nefarious with a hidden agenda.
When is a demonstrable fact anything less than a fact?
Stalwarts will always be in a state of mental lock down because they have an enormous psychological and intellectual investment in stubbornly clinging to their repeated beliefs… It’s basically a fear based behavior. Trump supporters elicit the same response because they think considering new information and changing their mind would signal to those around them that they might be wrong about things, and perhaps other things beside climate change and politics.

1 Like