Birth certificate

Simply put, why do we have them and why do we need them?

They help tell us apart ? How else would you get to have those cool little piggie prints of yourself ? Order Must Be ?

It’s not a sense of being “owned” by the government?

It's not a sense of being "owned" by the government?
Sure, that's a part of it. It's up to the individuals to decide how much they are owned by the government. Well, at least here in America where we have freedom and plenty and lots of room and people can move around freely, individual have a little latitude. In many other countries none of that exists. Looks to me like more and more people are living like cattle rather than humans and there is nothing can do about. The sense of emasculation must be crushing to the spirit. There but for the grace of providence go I. :ahhh: Consider in most nations (even USA for much of its history) if they want you in the army, you are going, or will pay hell if you try avoiding it. That sure seems like government feels a sense of ownership.

So what’s the sense in not having a birth certificate or social security number?

Tp prove a black man was really qualified to be president during an omslaught of false accusations about his birth because his racist opponents had run out of other ways to denigrate him that they thought they could deny was racism. Lois
It's not a sense of being "owned" by the government?
Sure, that's a part of it. It's up to the individuals to decide how much they are owned by the government. Well, at least here in America where we have freedom and plenty and lots of room and people can move around freely, individual have a little latitude. In many other countries none of that exists. Looks to me like more and more people are living like cattle rather than humans and there is nothing can do about. The sense of emasculation must be crushing to the spirit. There but for the grace of providence go I. :ahhh: Consider in most nations (even USA for much of its history) if they want you in the army, you are going, or will pay hell if you try avoiding it. That sure seems like government feels a sense of ownership. Which countries don't use birthplace to establish citizenship? Which countries confer citizenship on anyone who asks for it with birthplace not being a factor? I have not heard of these countries. Lois

Does receiving citizenship mean conferring my ‘title’, to the state?
Like do they own me then? %-P :coolsmirk: yeah, the safety glasses

I don’t think they own you, despite how some might want that to appear as such

Does receiving citizenship mean conferring my 'title', to the state? Like do they own me then? %-P :coolsmirk: yeah, the safety glasses
They own you whether you have received citizenship or not as long as you live there. They also own a large chunk of your net worth.