Article: High Home Ownership Can Seriously Damage Labor Market, New Study Suggests

The text is here: High home ownership can seriously damage labor market, new study suggests -- ScienceDaily
I found this to be a bit of a surprise, but it’s a subject I have never thought intensely about. Makes sense after some reasoning, though. People who rent are simply more free to pick up and move to find better jobs than people who own homes.
I also suspect that this will be highly unpopular in some political circles.

I’m not so sure about this. There are other variables the article does not address, specifically in North Dakota. The Bakken Oil Shale development has brought many jobs to ND and the workers are renting low-cost housing. While there may be some veracity to the studies I’d like to see some more follow up studies before drawing conclusions.

Yes, it definitely goes against the popular culture of home ownership. Counterintuitive.

The text is here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130507060845.htm I found this to be a bit of a surprise, but it's a subject I have never thought intensely about. Makes sense after some reasoning, though. People who rent are simply more free to pick up and move to find better jobs than people who own homes. I also suspect that this will be highly unpopular in some political circles.
For sure, when labor is not 100% mobile and the workers actually show themselves not to be commodities by putting down roots and building communities it flies in the face of the theory of the rules of the libertarian economic man. How about that; some people find happiness and security by not maximizing their wealth! Actually this is nothing new, we had discussions about this in my Sociology classes back in the mid-60s.