Alaskan Oil and Gas Leases cancelled

Politics, Technology/Science or Environment?

Be ready for the flood of false claims from the right that “Biden is Raising Gas Prices” based on his cancelling the lease on a million acres in Alaska

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/biden-cancels-alaskan-oil-gas-200334978.html

Aside from the info that there was no interest in the site, it would take years before any product would hit the market

And, personally, from an Environmental POV, I’m glad. Not only for preventing the destruction from construction and risk of accidents, but to also push energy companies to move away from fossil fuels.

Or, from the article:

Frank Macchairola of the American Petroleum Institute called the decision “another example of the administration’s lack of commitment to oil and gas development in the U.S.”

Yup! That’s the plan, isn’t it?

It also says that there are 10 million other acres available and only 25% are active.

By “lease”, does that mean this is costing US taxes to maintain the area? Even though it’s not being drilled?

No, I think it’s the other way around. Companies can lease the federal lands with permissions to pillage the natural resources.

So it’s basically nothing. It’s on a list, not being used, it’s not like they will be putting up condos, the oil is still there. Literally some accounting

1 Like

Then to think that all of it will be gone in less than 40 years. At current consumption, any new fields may yield enough oil for a few weeks.

49,172,832 Oil pumped today (barrels)

Quick Facts:

• Barrel = 42 Gallons = 159 Liters

Sources and info:

Oil left (1,438,946,071,074 barrels)

Sources and info:

15,006 Days to the end of oil (~41 years)
Countdown to the end of Oil:

Assumption:

• If consumed at current rates

Just another policy change. The policy in America has been to release land to be drilled to keep the industry alive and operating. There are only so many drilling rigs of the type used for the different geological areas. The idea is if we should need the oil. We may not have the time to search for the oil. If we know how much oil is in the oil-bearing shales and sands, then we can add it to our oil reserve and should we need it we can access it. For example, if a meteor hit the earth. It is possible that many lives could be lost due to the lack of fuel. In my first year working in the oil fields. We had twenty rigs wildcatting for oil. We knew ahead of time that we were not going to be drilling for production. We were only checking to see what was available. That was several hundred holes covering parts of Colorado, Wyoming, and Nebraska. If a meteor does hit. The sunlight will likely be reduced. Which will reduce solar energy. The idea is to have several back-up systems.

[quote=“mikeyohe, post:6, topic:9468”]
We may not have the time to search for the oil. If we know how much oil is in the oil-bearing shales and sands, then we can add it to our oil reserve and should we need it we can access it.
The estimated date of “end of oil” includes undeveloped resources.
± 40 years (at current use) is all that’s left of recoverable oil!
Anybody aged 40 years or younger will experience the end of fossil oil as a means of affordable energy.

That is all of the oil that we know of. Unless you drill how do you come up with that number? We have drilled most of the US. But there are still untested areas. Until the North Slope the biggest find was the Hiiight find. It happen in a area that had already been test drilled. But with new technology advances we are able to drill deeper. A re-testing of the Hilight area found the biggest field in the US below 10,000 feet.

[quote=“mikeyohe, post:8, topic:9468”]
That is all of the oil that we know of. Unless you drill how do you come up with that number? We have drilled most of the US. But there are still untested areas. Until the North Slope the biggest find was the Hiiight find. It happen in an area that had already been test drilled.

These are part of the known resource! How do you know there are oil reserves in those “unexplored” areas?

Learn about the "exponential " function., even at 1% growth it takes only 70 years to use more than DOUBLE the amount of oil that has EVER been recovered since the beginning of the Industrial age.!!!

But with new technological advances, we are able to drill deeper. A re-testing of the Hilight area found the biggest field in the US below 10,000 feet.

No, that is all the known “available” resources. Any other resource is to difficult (expensively impractical) to access.

And you want to release ALL remaining Carbon sequestered in the earth into the atmosphere?
Are you crazy?

It really doesn’t matter how much oil the U.S. has, pipelines we have or we are attempting to build or closing are now on N.A. land, in particularly, their sacred grounds. So it doesn’t matter, we cannot have that oil anymore than we can have the oil of a white man’s property, when he’s said no.

I have drill on many reservations. All land is sacred to the reservations. And I have yet to see a reservation not want drilling. Drilling is money for the reservation. Chances are they got paid and the pipeline got delayed. The money was spent and they want more. Just a guess. I have seen million dollar homes in towns by the reservations. And lodge pole housing on the reservation. I have seen blocks of new housing destroyed and people moved back to lodge pole housing. I have seen new corvettes parked out side of teepees. Just from what I have seen. I would say the whole story is never told. I have seen the government buy back land sold by the reservation and given back to keep to the reservation to keep the reservation together. After all. if there are no reservations what would the big government department do? Shut down! Ha Ha. My views comes from working in towns surrounded by the reservations and drinking and partying with the Indians of the reservations. Sort of first hand viewpoint.

Yes, you are right. We are going to run out of oil. And maybe some day realize that it is mostly because we use oil when we should be using coal and geothermal energy. And this happens because people follow the political objectives of greed and not logic.

So what has Standing Rock been doing on this time? I assure you, they do not want drilling on their lands. The rest of your words shows you don’t have a clue as to what you are talking about.

I will give you two sources, but I can provide more, concerning Standing Rock and their fight against the pipeline:

Sadly, we recently lost a water protector, LaDonna Brave Bull Allard, to brain cancer. RIP

You just won’t listen and learn from scientists, will you? Coal ? Coal has the same carbon content as oil (81% - 85%), depending on purity.

And you just want to keep pouring what was once permanently sequestered CO2 back into the atmosphere, creating a global warming catastrophe, while we could use the sun’s radiation itself as a limitless pollution-free source of electrical energy ???

Thank you for your political opinion. And as cheap solar radiation is available we should change over. But that might take awhile because if the government keeps pushing political changes on the people we very well could end up in a depression instead of a recession.

How did all those people protesting with Standing Rock get there? Did they bicycle to the reservation? Or did they stop and fill up at a gas station? How did the gas station get gas? Most likely from a tank farm that is connected to a pipeline. How is the food the protesters are eating get processed? Again, most likely a pipeline is involved in the processing. Logic would be that if you are against pipelines, then trucking puts more carbon in the air. So, you must be for higher carbon. You can’t have it both ways.

In 2020 the BIA increased the Sioux 8,500-member funding for Indian Health Service for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe by $266M. That is an increase of funds paid of over $31K per person for the year 2020. Not bad. Looks like the Sioux know how to use the system and the far left liberals.

So many fallacies.

That’s right, you can’t have it both ways. You can’t use up all the resources of a planet, and still have the same planet. We went a long time with a system of a few getting most of those resources, then the ones who were doing the work figured out that wasn’t a good system. So the people with all the stuff had to convince enough of them that they could be part of the few. Never mind what their grandchildren might get. So now you have jokes for arguments.

Where were you at when all this was taken place? Why were the few getting most of the resources? Maybe because they controlled the money. Where were the University at when this was taking place? Following the money, of course.

I don’t remember the energy pathway working that way. What I remember is the scientists backed by the universities and government telling us that nuclear was the way. We were told that a couple coffee cups of sea water could send the biggest ships around the world. And that electricity would be super cheap for us. Congress spent two billion dollars on a plant in Washington state that was to take nuclear waste and burn it into a non-nuclear ash.

People voted for nuclear so their grandchildren could have a better life powered by super cheap electricity. I also remember that the Soc Sec retirement age was to go down to 55 as soon as the funds got built up. The retirement age was going to 45 for company retirement. People were to benefit from a great society and enjoy the later years.

You take random quotes and turn them into some sort of reality that only exists in your head

How did something in my head get broadcast over TV? Two billion was a lot of money back then and congress televised the congressional committee reviewing the funding.
The Great Society was an ambitious series of policy initiatives, legislation and programs spearheaded by President Lyndon B. Johnson with the main goals of ending poverty, reducing crime, abolishing inequality and improving the environment.

A lot of things are on TV. You know they are not all true. You connect dots that aren’t connected