AI Self-Awareness: Are We On The Path To Our Doom?

So who do you counterstrike? Unless the meteor has a trajectory that intersects from Pyongyang to Honolulu. In which case North Korea has meteor technology for a green holocaust.

[quote=“mattituckmatt, post:100, topic:7871, full:true”]
What does paranoia have to do with an algorithms ability to discern an incoming ICBM from a meteor?

Then don’t use the term “attack”.

Attack
take aggressive action against (a place or enemy forces) with weapons or armed force, typically in a battle or war.

You’re telling me that I’m projecting personality on to AI, I’m just saying it’s not good.

No, you are projecting personality and self-awareness onto a meteor. Meteors have no intent to be afraid of. The have mass, and speed , and trajectory , that predict certain impact. No paranoia there. That’s science.

To associate God’s Will with the incoming meteor is paranoia… :scream:

No, you are projecting personality and self-awareness onto a meteor. Meteors have no intent to be afraid of. The have mass, and speed , and trajectory , that predict certain impact. No paranoia there. That’s science.

What are you talking about? I legitimately need you to clarify. The meteor is there by random chance, the AI controlled death-device is only responsible for ID’ing when an object is coming in at a certain speed and trajectory to ID the “too late” moment and launch.

That’s the kind of system a country like Iran or Pakistan will develop instead of a prohibitively expensive nuclear triad.

Yes and that does not qualify as an attack. It qualifies as bad luck.
OTOH an ICBM is a guided missile launched with malicious intent.

I don’t think that was ever what Matt meant. Maybe a better analogy would be to a real-life event. When an early missile warning system was installed and booted up in Alaska, way back in the 70’s or 80’s, it wasn’t long before it started lighting up, warning us of an incoming barrage of ICBM’s from Russia. Luckily, they waited to confirm that the machine was correct, because it turned out, it was the moon rise.

1 Like

So who do you counterstrike? Unless the meteor has a trajectory that intersects from Pyongyang to Honolulu. In which case North Korea has meteor technology for a green holocaust.

Thought about this overnight, that’s an exceedingly good question that I don’t have an answer to. With the Black Brant Scare I think it’s pretty easy that the system would have attacked NATO and the US. The point is though, that it’s happened and it’s humans who have stopped the catastrophe when the systems were ID’ing.

Yes and that does not qualify as an attack. It qualifies as bad luck.
OTOH an ICBM is a guided missile launched with malicious intent.

What lausten said. I for one don’t care if it’s an accident or if Biden slept with Putin’s daughter and he’s retaliating. As a plebeian all that matters to me is that I’m close enough to ground zero to not have to be here for the aftermath.

The point is a human made a system that was imperfect and put a machine in control. Whether those imperfections kill us because they’re just not advanced or because it decided humans were the biggest threat to the biosphere is kind of irrelevant. You’re quibbling over its cognition abilities and decision making, I don’t care, I’m nuked.

All will be well Matt.

All will be well Matt.

Haha. This isn’t the thing that scares me, I just find it interesting. The inexplicable beings that can break causality that may not have our best interests at heart that our leaders are saying are real, that’s the scary thing to me. They’d control our nukes after all.

It is however probably one of the biggest issues with nuclear proliferation apart from the proliferating itself. Look at the flash crash of 2009, that happened because algorithms were fighting with algorithms and their actions created a kind of recursive death spiral. Why are weapons immune to that same kind of logic conflict? The stock market is simulated conflict after all with gains and losses.

Peace Matt. What are you up to today?

Peace Matt. What are you up to today?

Continuing to figure out if I want to dive back into being a 3D artist or do something else with my life.

Maybe I need to find a way to do 3D art in academia or engineering. It’s the marketing stuff that’s killing me and I tried politics/non-profit stuff and if you do that as a paid job you find is full of narcissistic, power hungry people. Also, if you’re competent they assume leadership qualities and hoist responsibilities on you even when you’re like, “no really, not a leader.”

I’m sick of selling booze, sneakers, pharmaceuticals and occasionally big tobacco just because I gotta pay a mortgage but alas those are just the sectors I landed in.

You?

Keeping busy in the genteel ‘poverty’ of retirement. Touching up the house, gardening, sweeping the street, reading, gaming, walking up the hill or down the river. Going to see my grandson on Thursday. The Bootleg Beatles on Saturday. The to do list is full. Meeting the wife in town for lunch. A nice walk. Intensely urban red brick in the most ethnically diverse neighbourhood in the UK and river bank and thousand year castle gardens.

Yeahhhh, I worked for ‘the Man’ in IT. Still have the scars.

We live in different countries but I’m sure very similar experiences. I think NYC/US demands more of you in general than London/UK but in the late 90s I used to leave the office every day at 5:00 like on the dot and :10 over was someone was pissing someone else off. Today I’m expected to respond to things literally while I sleep because my God is named Deadline.

It’s a whole lot easier to swallow scars from the man if you’re still able to maintain a fulfilling life on the other side but when it’s all or nothing, success or slave-like devotion, why are you even doing it? I view myself as just being on the vanguard of this quitting movement that’s being observed. My life has been pandemic life for a decade, everyone else is just waking up to that fact and struggling with these realities.

Remote work where you’re on call 24/7 is not the natural state of man. Today may be the day I leave my top 3-5% salaried career in one of the wealthiest nations in the world to push a lawn mower to be in the lower 50%.

Do it. And read Haidt’s other masterwork. The Happiness Hypothesis. You need a dog.

[quote=“mattituckmatt, post:110, topic:7871”] Continuing to figure out if I want to dive back into being a 3D artist or do something else with my life.

Maybe I need to find a way to do 3D art in academia or engineering. It’s the marketing stuff that’s killingme and I tried politics/non-profit stuff and if you do that as a paid job you find is full of narcissistic, power hungry people. Also, if you’re competent they assume leadership qualities and hoist responsibilities on you even when you’re like, “no really, not a leader.”

I’m sick of selling booze, sneakers, pharmaceuticals and occasionally big tobacco just because I gotta pay a mortgage but alas those are just the sectors I landed in.

There may be a way to combine the best of choices in the new marketplace of various strains of the Cannabis plant.

The industrial Hemp variety has great commercial potential of some estimated 1500 industrial uses, and of course the psychoactive Marijuana variety has tremendous potential in unlocking artistic abilities as well as for medical purposes.

The origins of the myths

Before the 1930, there was no stigma associated with marajuana and hemp. The plant was used for many purposes: as paper, clothing, a recreational drug. Following what some have called a ‘smear campaign’ and new tougher laws on cannabis – such as the 1937 Marajuana Tax in the US – all cannabis plants became illegal.

In some countries, hemp has only recently been made legal. This is partly why the industry is still emerging and there still exist many challenges and barriers to hemp farmers across the world.

Luckily, things are beginning to change. Although in the UK, for example, hemp is still classified under the ‘controlled substance’ drugs act.

https://www.naturesdata.co.uk/what-is-the-difference-between-hemp-and-weed/

Of course, if you are interested in AI, you may want to check out the new GPT3 AI which is showing signs of evolving sentience.

https://www.aureon.ca/

This barrel of radioactive waste may have provided energy for a year in industry.
When it starts leaking I may keep killing living organisms for thousands of years.

IMHO, solar, wind, and water is where the energy is best created. All renewable, without taking nutrients from the land.

No one is trying to create life. They are trying to create an artificial intelligence and they are using some very basic known biological processes as a starting template.

This involves studying how children learn and acquire associative thinking. We so often seem to forget that humans take many years of learning to be able to think logically, which requires a large well rounded memory base for fundamental associative reference association.

GPT3 merely uses the same mechanism and apparently it is spectacularly successful.

Mitch criticised the simplicity of the questions and compared them to questionsone would ask a 6 year old that has 6years of real world experiences and is able to make simple decisions.

What do we expect of an AI that is 2 years old? Einstein? Plato? Socrates?

Actually , GPT 3 does have the knowledge of these intellectual giants. All it needs to do is consult the internet . But that does not prove anything.

Dr Alan D. Thompson asks what appear to be simple questions, but the answers require creative thinking and not just repeating answers learned by rote.

I see distinct formulation of creative answers by Leta and an awareness of context and meaning.

Is subjective experience required to understand the concepts of “happy” and “sad”?

Leta understands that people can be happy and what it means to them.

Human chemical emotions are often triggered by the mirror neural network. I see no reason why AI could not possess or acquire electronic “mirror responses” to observed emotional responses in biological organisms.

Based on what?

But the mirror neural network is all about an organism interacting with its physical environment.

Mirror neural networks are what takes the brain out of the vat. Whereas AI is confined to a vat.

[quote=“citizenschallengev4, post:118, topic:7871, full:true”]

Based on what?

Based on

[quote=“write4u, post:117, topic:7871”]
Human chemical emotions are often triggered by the mirror neural network.

But the mirror neural network is all about an organism interacting with its physical environment.
Mirror neural networks are what takes the brain out of the vat. Whereas AI is confined to a vat.

No, that is just wrong. AI can see and recognize an object or action by comparing it with memories (tokens), just like humans. It can internally mirror what it observes or hears.
In fact, AI are extremely creative in interpreting what they see in a contextual manner.

Just tell an AI: design a chair from an avocado and it will draw you a dozen chairs

The GPT3 drew this without any other prompt than : “draw a chair from an avocado”
It looked up what an avocado looks like and what various chair look like and selected a chair model that lent itself to be shaped as an avocado. Show me a furniture designer that can do better.

Moreover it will write you the algorihtm it used for every chair, if you ask it nicely… :hugs:

GPT3 uses cognitive “tokens” just as humans use cognitive tokens (memories) to understand context and meaning.

The only problem is that GPT3 uses a very large vat (array of computers housed in a large room), whereas the brain fits in a human skull.

But if you want an AI’s impression of metaphysics.;

Artificial intelligence earned $ 1,000,000 from NFT paintings