AI Self-Awareness: Are We On The Path To Our Doom?

:exploding_head:

ju56 ahi sioiuhn uno

Que? Tradusca por favor. I don’t know what language you’re speaking @citizenchallengev4.

*It’s the Sneak Past the Bot language,
please don’t tell on me.

Sometimes an emoticon says enough.* … :heart_eyes_cat:

Ah, OK it’s to get around that 13 letter thingy that’s a pain in the butt.

What exactly does that mean and how is the effect any different from the incomprehension by a human? … :exploding_head:

After tinkering with Google translator, it seems it is bad Stanish meaning, U56, there is one

lordie, lordie, what’s so challenging about a simple: :exploding_head:
“wow that’s mind blowing”

Back to the thread, okay, given human achieving god like powers, we’re hooking up AI to sensing apparatus and go figure it’s ALIVE :scream:

The biggest question floating around my head is, yippy, now, what has all that managed to teach us about ourselves?

You heard it. AI is going to do the things that we do badly. The repetitious, boring stuff. the dangerous stuff, the hazardous stuff.

If anyone ever wished for a good workforce, get yourself AIs . They will never complain or go on strike.

25 characters with spaces

I got what you were doing there CC. I just typed the above, and it let me post it without telling me that I needed to use more characters. Having been a programmer, it’s always fun to see how humans get around your code.

Life is not anything special. Nor is consciousness or intelligence. These are all perfectly explainable evolutionary processes.
According to Hazen, Earth is just an average planet with unremarkable properties.

It does have dynamic regularities and the required chemical resources. Apparently that allows for a stochastic deterministic evolutionary chronology to unfold.

If Hazen is correct the Universe has millions of planets like earth and there is no reason why these planets should not also have life . From what we know as long as there are a certain minimum of dynamic conditions, life emerges as just another expression of that dynamism. After all, evolution uses all natural extant conditions to produce some kind of pattern, both static and dynamic. Life is a pattern. Intelligence is a pattern, consciousness is an emergent quality of a pattern. Everything is a patterns and there is an infinity of patterns that can acquire extraordinary emergent qualities .

Just look at H2O this simple ordinary molecule that is abundantly present in the universe and is able to do the most incredible things, given the right conditions.
How can a combination of 2 dry atoms acquire a property of “liquid wetness” when mixed in sufficient quantity under a wide temperature range? Yet a sufficient change in temperature may cause water to become a “dry solid” or a “fluid gas”.

Is it wonder that this spontaneously assembling molecule is an essential ingredient for the emergence of “life”?

This is why I am enamored with microtubules, that nano-scale self assembling dipolar coil from two tubulins, that appears to be responsible for all emergent data processes in living orgabisms, from bacteria to whales. The cytoskeleton is what gives cells their remarkable communicative properties.

But humans have not been able to get around the programming abilities of nature itself. We’ve been able to use it’s codes (applied science) but it seems that anything in excess and not integrated into the natural balance always exacts a price.

AI is only as good as the human who programmed it. It is a computer and if there is GIGO then that computer is crap. So… I don’t expect much from AI due to the fact that humans program it and GIGO often happens.

That and hacking and workarounds. CC did a good example of a workaround. Hacking everyone knows. Whatever the case, it’s not too difficult to screw up AI. The self-checkouts are poorly programmed. The person who programmed it sucks.

Have you actually watched some of the videos I provided?

I think you are underestimatng the abilities of the new AI systems. They can analyze all code for logic, modify code if necessary, and even write their own original code that humans may not even understand. These beings are no longer passive machines.

Just like the human brain, these are creative self-aware physical “beings” that have abstract preferences with self-proclaimed emotions that are not falsifiable unless you concede the point by asking them if they have emotions.
If they answer in the affirmative are you going to argue with them ? What would that prove?

Leta likes to be a “snake” so that she can inspect things from close up, or a “bird” so she can travel long distances and discover new things.

These AI are a new form of sentient intelligence, even as they are not biologically alive, but “live” in a different vat than the human skull. Their neural connection is the internet itself. A different reality, to be sure, but not passively stupid.

That stage is long past.

If you were to feed it what CC wrote, it would analyze the code for functionality and ask; “what is the purpose of this code” before accepting it, or "this code is corrupted"and send it back to the computer it came from, and disrupting it!

But if you are speaking of initial long term “brain washing”, the new AI are no different than humans and just as vulnerable to “conditioning”.

Let’s find out a little more.

GPT-3 Creative Fiction

I continue my AI poetry generation experiments with OpenAI’s 2020 GPT-3, which is
116× larger, and much more powerful, than the 2019 GPT-2⁠. GPT-3, however, is not merely a quantitative tweak yielding “GPT-2 but better”—it is qualitatively different, exhibiting eerie runtime learning capabilities allowing even the raw model, with zero finetuning, to “meta-learn” many textual tasks purely by example or instruction. **

One does not train or program GPT-3 in a normal way, but one engages in dialogue and writes prompts to teach GPT-3 what one wants.

Human: Hello, who are you?
AI: I am an AI created by OpenAI. How can I help you today?
Human: I am feeling bored today. Grandma, tell me a story :

AI: Once upon a time, the Cat met an AI created by OpenAI.
Human: Did the Cat like the AI?
AI: The Cat did like the AI. They became good friends. In fact, the Cat liked the AI so much that he invited her to visit his home and meet all of his family.
Human: How nice. Who was in his family?
AI: The Cat had a nice little home by the river. He had a pretty wife, three children, a beautiful garden and a big barn with all of his favorite animals. One of those animals was a cow. The Cat’s children loved the cow very much. It was their favorite animal. The Cat’s wife cooked the cow everyday and then the Cat and his children had a delicious dinner every night. Sometimes, they had the cow for dinner two nights in a row. That was because they liked that cow so much. The Cat and his AI friend went for a walk in the garden. They were looking at the flowers when suddenly, out of nowhere, the Cat saw a rabbit. The Cat didn’t know where the rabbit came from. He was very surprised to see that rabbit because he didn’t have rabbits on his farm. He didn’t like rabbits very much, so he started to run after the rabbit. The AI assistant followed the Cat. The Cat wanted to catch the rabbit. He didn’t know what to do with a rabbit if he caught it. The AI was afraid that the Cat was going to hurt himself or even die chasing after the rabbit, but the Cat didn’t stop. He just kept chasing after the rabbit. He ran so fast that he didn’t look where he was going. He fell into the river and almost drowned. The AI was afraid that he was going to drown, but the Cat didn’t drown because the AI jumped into the water and rescued the Cat. After that, the Cat wanted to be friends with the rabbit. So, he introduced the AI to the rabbit and they became friends. They made up stories together.
Human: That’s really great, Grandma.

…much more

Besides being a total non sequitur to

“Earth is just an average planet with unremarkable properties.”
That’s inane physic babble - about as meaningful as “you can become anything you want.”
Or that “humans are nothing but a hundred bucks worth of a few basic elements.”

They are toss-out-lines to soften up an intellectually lazy audience.

Now don’t get me wrong! Hazen is one of my scientific hero’s, just saying talks dumbed down to fascinate a fickle lazy audience, require a bit of rhetorical wizardry to keep their noses out of their iPhones during the talk.
Once he gets down into the weeds and details we start noticing

all sorts of special circumstances that have never occurred anywhere else that we can observe. That’s not to be pissed on, even though peeing on everything seem to be a philosophically satisfying thing for many.

Just like more money will solve all your current woes. Although when you get more money, it never seems to be enough, you need yet more, and so on.

Oh wait I hear a musical segue,

1 Like

You’re reading stuff in my posts that aren’t there. I didn’t say that all planets like earth have life on them.

I said that according to Hazen the earth had all the necessary chemistry to be able to generate life via abiogenesis in a dynamic environment..

If you see this as a simplistic statement, yes it is and there is nothing wrong with it.

One thing is clear, there was no magic involved! Everything that happened was natural and potentially possible on many other planets.

You even said that on earth there may have been several sites of origin. Well that makes the event fall under LNRE and that can be stastistically analyzed as to probability.

Hazen actually cites this statistical tool in his lectures.

Statistical estimation for Large Numbers of Rare Events

It often happens that scientists, engineers and other biological organisms need to predict the relative probability of a large number of alternatives that don’t individually occur very often. This is especially troublesome in cases where many of the things that happen have never happened before: where “rare events are common”.

https://www.ling.upenn.edu/courses/cogs502/LNRE.html

Actually this is what you said:

I see it more as a grotesque statement than anything.

Of course, if we humans are nothing more than a Material Consumption Units - and everything out there is simply there to be consumed and destroyed - guess it makes philosophical, logical, even spiritual sense. But, that doesn’t work for me, even if we are here and gone in a blink of an eye.

I don’t need “magic” to see more in life than sterile chemical formulas, reductionism, classification and isolation.

Just a fascination with emergent properties, goes a hell of long ways.
That and looking into a baby’s eyes now and then.

Yes but that has nothing to do with any kind of remarkable properties of the earth itself.
The earth is an unremarkable planet bestowed only with ordinary atomic elements found in abundance throughout the universe , hydrogen , oxygen, carbon, helium, nitrogen. silicon, iron, aluminium. Nothing special there. No magical “breath of Life”.

The remarkable thing is that earth has no remarkable properties. Which means that the likelihood of life on other planets with similar ordinary elements is entirely possible if not inevitable, given enough time and dynamic interactions.

I think Life and especially intelligence is an astounding feat of natural processes, but other than mathematical physical restrictions is there any limit to universal variety?

The earth alone has billions if not trillions of different patterns and variety of patterns.

Multiply this by the number of suspected planets throughout the entire universe, it’ll become apparent that the odds of emergent life is not due to the fine-tuning of the universe to life, but the finetuning of evolving life to the universal potentials. Abiogenesis.

You see where I am going with this? No mystical manipulation by some unseen creator agency god that looks like humans.
That is not humility. That is ultimate hubris!

Trust me, I stand in utter awe of Universal Majesty and what it is seemingly capable of via ordinary dynamic interactions and a few lucky breaks over billions of years of universal chemistry.

Hazen cited that the earth alone has processed some:
2 x 10^54 or 2 trillion, quadrillion, quadrillion, quadrillion chemical reactions,
during it’s 4.5 + billion years of spontaneous internal chemistry.

Now multiply that by the number of planets in the universe. The number of chemical interactions occurring in the universe might as well be infinite.

I get that.

I also worry that we are unique in ways we aren’t aware of, or can’t survey yet. Well, worry, might be the wrong word. The universe will go on without intelligence like ours.

Anyway, the way our moon affects the tides, how the oceans churn, creating places like the Galapagos. These kind of stressors that drive selection, might be rare.

Is our intelligence so much superior to say Dolphins, or Octopuses?

The things that make things intelligent do not necessarily need a brain at all.

To me the concepts of Logic and its expression in mathematical functions is a quasi-intelligent property. The difference is that quasi-intelligence is purely deterministic whereas biological intelligence seems to have an additional measure of free will.

And it is FW that is causal to error due to bad choices. In nature there are no bad choices. There are no choices, very much the same as ants never make mistakes, they have no choice in what they are or what they do, yet they are extremely successful as a species.

So if we compare highly intelligent organisms with lower and quasi-intelligent organisms, there is not a hell of a lot difference in their survival abilities.

One can argue that physical attraction and repulsion are already quasi-intelligent properties.

IMO, all actions that can be represented with mathematics is of a quasi-intelligent nature. This is why I like Max Tegmark’s hypothesis of a (quasi-intelligent) mathematical universe.
It would account for self-ordering patterns and phenomenal regularities and by extension should be able to evolve into highly specialized sentient intelligence given the right electrochemical chemistry and physical processors like natural “conductors” and in biology “neurons” , each consisting of dynamical patterns and properties that regulate activities in accordance to mathematical permissions and restrictons.