A real meaningful debate

Star Wars
Star Trek
Or Dr Who
(write-ins welcomed)

Obviously Star Trek. I could call all the stuff with the new Kirk, and Vulcan being destroyed, non-canonical, but the body of work overall can’t be beat. Just about every social and psychological issue has been covered.

3 Likes

“But he’s black on the left and white on the right!”

Explain … image

Yeah, Star Wars has excellent graphics, based on a familar theme, but StarTrek covered
a wide range of moral questions. Hey, I love them all… :hugs:

Bele | Memory Alpha | Fandom

It’s a TOS episode he is referring to, as he responds to Lausten.

While I like TOS, TNG is my favourite with VOY a close second. I am an Imzadian and I play a Betazoid at conventions and other like things. :smiley:

I do like “Who Mourns for Adonis” and “Trouble with Tribbles” in the TOS series, but TNG and DS9 I love all Troi episodes (De and Lwaxana) and Imzadi episodes. I also like Bev and Capt episodes on TNG. On VOY, there are at least 2 faves- Revolutions and I have to look up the episode, but it’s were Chakotay attempts to save KJ’s life and they repeat things and in the end they thought she was dead, but some alien race was attempting to convince her to stay in a fake afterlife and she eventually returns to VOY.

Revolutions:

"I’m not sure I can ‘define parameters’. But I can tell you a story, an ancient legend among my people. It’s about an angry warrior who lived his life in conflict with the rest of his tribe. A man who couldn’t find peace, even with the help of his spirit guide. For years he struggled with his discontent. The only satisfaction he ever got came when he was in battle. This made him a hero among his tribe, but the warrior still longed for peace within himself. One day, he and his war party were captured by a neighboring tribe led by a woman warrior. She called on him to join her because her tribe was too small and weak to defend itself from all its enemies. The woman warrior was brave, and beautiful. And very wise. The angry warrior swore to himself that he would stay by her side, doing whatever he could to make her burden lighter. From that point on, her needs would come first. And in that way, the warrior began to know the true meaning of peace. "
Is that really an ancient legend?
No… but that made it easier to say.

• Chakotay and Janeway

TOS was so original! Like All in the Family, TOS took on several sensitive social issues. Kirk’s sexism didn’t advance feminism but he did kiss Uhura, which raised some eyebrows.

A favorite of mine was the episode in which Spock lost his mate in a competition with another Vulcan. (She chose the other guy) Spock later told his successor (paraphrasing), “In time you may find the wanting to be more pleasant than the having.” Quite the burn.