A Dark April is about to dawn in the USA

Your optimism tells me that you have a guardian angel. Mriana’s pessimisim points to something else.
I learned early on that if I didn't do it (whatever "it" was) for myself, it wasn't going to get done. There are plenty of people who would like to be a millionaire. What most of them mean by that is that they would like to have a million to spend. The difference between them and the millionaire is that the millionaire was willing to do what it took to become a millionaire. And of course a millionaire doesn't spend his millions; he lets his millions make more millions for him. Putting money to work is the first part of working smarter not harder.

I also learned early on that one of the biggest problems most women have is that they want “things” to be some way, some way they think things “should” be or “ought to” be. And if things aren’t that way, they tend to not want to take charge and make things better. I don’t think it is culture related but more of a biological predisposition. The classic explanation is that the woman’s sphere of concern ends at the mailbox (the edge of the nest) and that’s where the man’s sphere of concern begins. Women are famous for staying in a bad situation and never doing anything about it other than wishing it would get better and hoping someone would change it for them. They never seem to learn that wishing and hoping just doesn’t get it done.

I love strong women. I’ll take a fiery redhead over a mousy brown any time.

It’s not pessimism. It’s facing the facts of COVID-19. To face the facts about how it can kill those of any age, it be either ignorant about it or just plain stupid. This pandemic broke out in China in late December and I knew then “Something horrid this way cometh.” Seems a little over kill in how I say it, but it’s true because N.Y. C. is using “meat lockers”, many freezer trucks, to store dead bodies. If we don’t do these things, every city and town will look like N.Y. To do otherwise is foolish and stupid.

@Bob

Are you like, 90 years old? Or what?

@mriana

It’s not pessimism. It’s facing the facts of COVID-19. To face the facts about how it can kill those of any age, it be either ignorant about it or just plain stupid.
I face the same facts also, everyday. I have one eye on US virus death (6068 so far) and the other on death to natural causes (8000 a day). Then, there are babies in the supply chain getting trucked in: 4.2 million restocked our shelves last year. More than enough to cover Fauci's 2 million deaths if we let it rip with no mitigation.
I face the same facts also, everyday. I have one eye on US virus death (6068 so far) and the other on death to natural causes (8000 a day). Then, there are babies in the supply chain getting trucked in: 4.2 million restocked our shelves last year. More than enough to cover Fauci’s 2 million deaths if we let it rip with no mitigation.
This is how civilization ends. Because of that kid in math class who said they would never need this stuff.

Once more into the breach. Sree,

Let’s say we just “let the virus rip” with no mitigation. Have you considered what would happen to our healthcare system? They would not stop trying to save lives but they would be steam rolled and ground up by the virus in the process. We are already losing doctors and nurses to C-19. When the unmitigated virus spread wiped out any functional healthcare system, that 8000 deaths a day from other causes would be going up bigtime, because many who would have been saved by a functional healthcare system would then be lost.

Also, that 8000 a day number is not likely to go up exponentially (unless maybe we let C-19 have its way). The 6068 number IS going up exponentially.

Then there’s the little matter of the economy. The economy is not going to come back, just because some decide we should just let the few (2 million) die for the many (340 million). People aren’t going to just jump on the economy happy train, knowing that they or more people that they love are quite possibly going to die. Most people don’t want to contribute to that.

We have to deal with the virus by controlling it. Your lobbying to just let it freely take a couple of million people, only serves to make controlling it less likely.

@Sree

I face the same facts also, everyday. I have one eye on US virus death (6068 so far) and the other on death to natural causes (8000 a day). Then, there are babies in the supply chain getting trucked in: 4.2 million restocked our shelves last year. More than enough to cover Fauci’s 2 million deaths if we let it rip with no mitigation.

That is so sick! Talking about human beings like a commodity at a grocery store? Seriously? You are going to sit there say, “One drops dead. Oh well, here’s another to replace that one”? Life is more precious than that. Far more precious and as for your babies… The U.S. lost one of the first babies, under one year of age, just the other day. If you had your way and the virus ran rampant, more babies would die. So your reasoning is all wrong, as well as sick.

Are you like, 90 years old? Or what?
FDR died on my first birthday. The announcement put a real damper on the party.
@ illogical - The difference between them and the millionaire is that the millionaire was willing to do what it took to become a millionaire.
Grind other into the ground, then march onward on top of the bodies - without a moral or emotional qualm. That's what it takes to become a millionaire. They are sociopathic bloodsuckers.
A sociopath is a term used to describe someone who has antisocial personality disorder (ASPD). People with ASPD can't understand others' feelings. They'll often break rules or make impulsive decisions without feeling guilty for the harm they cause.
Of course, America wouldn't be what it is without them, but still reality is reality. Now when push comes to shove, we'll get to know just what sort of self-cannibalizing world we've created for ourselves.

https://www.overshootday.org

Humans have used a year’s worth of Earth’s resources in just seven months
Earth Overshoot Day comes earlier each year because of ecological damage caused by humanity

Jane Dalton @JournoJane - July 24, 2018

www_forbes_com/sites/gemmamilne/2019/07/29/we-have-already-used-up-earths-resource-budget-for-this-year-how-can-deeptech-startups-help/#25ae726056bf

“FDR died on my first birthday. The announcement put a real damper on the party.”

They shouldn’t have been celebrating FDR’s passing, anyway.

@mriana

That is so sick! Talking about human beings like a commodity at a grocery store? Seriously? You are going to sit there say, “One drops dead. Oh well, here’s another to replace that one”?
Exactly! that's what I am saying; and it's not sick. It's life, and death is part of it. Yin yang. You can't have one without the other. It's Spring now and the blue flowers of the periwinkle have come back. Soon, the tulips will sprout up again. Embrace life and let it go. When will you ever learn?

Life is a part of death. Thanks for the news flash Sree.

We will all get to death soon enough. No need to rush the rest of us.

@Sree, of course you can’t have one without the other, but no one should let people die just because death is part of life and that’s what you have been saying, which is sick. To embrace life is also to preserve life. Embracing life doesn’t mean one has to embrace death too. No doctor wants their patient to die and any doctor who becomes so callused that they shrug at a patient dying needs to quit and is often encouraged to quit. Most doctors try to do all they can to save a patient and right now, it tears them apart to have to make a choice. I even read an article that what is happening in N.Y.C. is going to have an affect on many doctors’ mental health. So no, embracing life doesn’t mean you have to just let people die. That would be callus and stupid, maybe even criminal. Of course, if you want, you can have DNR orders if you get sick with COVID-19 and make all the doctors’ jobs easier. They’ll just give your respirator to a once healthy 19 y.o. who is in critical condition from COVID-19. I’m sure you’ll be very happy about that.

We are going to have a LOT of healthcare workers with PTSD before this thing is over.

Latest projections are 93,000-ish dying by August (mostly by early June), with the body count dropping to not much by mid June and after.

But we gotta get thru the next ominous couple of weeks with NY peaking. Maybe other hot spots won’t be as challenging as NY. Some have had more time with mitigation and hopefully will not cross the line of medical capacity, as may well be the case with, at least, parts of New York.

@mriana

@Sree, of course you can’t have one without the other, but no one should let people die just because death is part of life and that’s what you have been saying, which is sick.
We should let ourselves die when it’s time to go. Relax, don’t fight it. What are we hanging on to, anyway? Debts? Illness? The grim reaper, when he comes, is not scary if we let it go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnBupO_Kjto

Everyting gwarn be iree, wit yung Brad Pitt givin us de virus.

@Sree you give in and die if you want, but plan on making every effort to live at least as long as my grandmother did. She lived to be 94 years and still remembered her Latin she took in high school. Just because one has longevity in one’s family doesn’t mean live with illness and debt is just part of greedy Capitalism, but not necessarily life. One has to have a zest for life and a love of family to keep on going. Family was very important to my grandmother, just as it is for me.

IMHO everyone was promised a rose garden, with beauty and thorns. I see life much like a rose garden. However, unlike your view, when the rose withers and dies, it doesn’t just die, it goes back to the earth and may just become nourishment for the earth or might even feed new life, be it critters in the ground or another plant.

However, I do appreciate Emily Dickinson’s Poem, Because I Could Not Stop for Death, which means we don’t have to stop for the “Grim Reaper” if we don’t want to do so. We can fight it until our last breath or we can live to be 94 or 100, lay down for a nap and our brain shuts down much like a computer. However, we can’t make that decision for others, not even during a pandemic. You can have the DNR if you want, but I refuse it and plan to live life to its fullest for a long time to come. I plan on enjoying the music and my grandchildren. You might not have a lot to live for, but others do.

BTW, may I suggest that you get counseling for your death wish, because either you’re really old and have one foot in the grave or you need help.

@TimB

We are going to have a LOT of healthcare workers with PTSD before this thing is over.

Indeed.

@mriana

Of course, if you want, you can have DNR orders if you get sick with COVID-19 and make all the doctors’ jobs easier. They’ll just give your respirator to a once healthy 19 y.o. who is in critical condition from COVID-19. I’m sure you’ll be very happy about that.
The ventilator is not what people think it is: a life saver. Folks who end up on ventilators, go on to die. Many who continue to live, can't be taken off those machines. They don't make it out of the hospitals. The ventilator is an extreme measure when there is extensive inflammation of lung tissue; a long plastic tube is inserted through the trachea and vocal cords, running risk of introducing germs and causing lung infection. Trump meant well when he promoted the use of that malaria drug if victims have a choice. He wasn't trying to play doctor. He knows what his medical experts know. All that hue and cry, over lack of ventilators by politicians and the media, is an attempt to demean and demonize Trump's coronavirus response effort.

No not all go on to die, Sree. You have a misconception about what happens to all people on ventilators and they do get taken off to go on to live their lives outside the hospital. Not all people die when placed on a ventilator and some do get off it and leave the hospital alive. You really don’t have a clue about them and it has nothing to do with demonizing the dotard. He’s already done that himself, to himself.