3D Printing News

Developments in the field seem to be coming pretty rapidly these days, so I thought it’d be nice to have a single thread dedicated to advances in the tech. (To give you an idea an idea of how fast the tech is advancing, the oldest of these articles are from January of this year.)
Let’s start with things on the consumer front:
Makerbot, the folks behind one of the home 3D printers has come up with a cheap 3D Digitizer.]

Of course, one of the things you'll need for your 3D printer is plastic. Here's one fellow's solution to that problem.]
One has to ask: Why buy the pellets, when you can just recycle the plastic you already have?]
Another one, which, like a doctor, allows you to "bury" your mistakes.]
So you've got a 3D printer. What do you do with all of your 1-, 2- and 3.0's that you had to print out before perfecting your desired gewgaw? Those rolls of ABS filament you used to make them are affordable, but not cheap. Thanks to German programmer and inventor Marcus Thymark, you may soon be able to grind your old projects up and re-extrude them into fresh filament, ready for another go-round.
Then there's the 3D printing "pen," which at $75, is too awesome for words.]
(Currently, funding has reached $2.1 million, beating their goal of $30K by a wide margin.) BBC piece on 3D printed gun parts.] The video is less about the technology, and more about the legality, but you do get to some 3D printed gun parts, to get an idea of what's possible. Sort of half commercial, half consumer, UC Berkley has come up with a vending machine which produces 3D printed items.]
One the medical front, we've got, a man who had a large portion of his skull replaced with a 3D printed implant.]
Developers build a $150 3D prosthetic hand for a child.]
Doctors use 3D printed replicas of body parts to help prepare for surgery.]
3D printed meat still needs work.]
I've tasted it as have my colleagues. We've only been able to have small bites since we're still working on getting the process right. I cooked some pieces in olive oil and ate some with and without salt and pepper. Not bad. The taste is good but not yet fully like meat. We have yet to get the fat content right and other elements that influence taste. This process will be iterative and involve us working closely with our consulting chefs.
We're now also able to build 3D printers that work on the nanoscale!]
There's now also a tradeshow for industrial metal 3D printers.] MIT has now developed 3D printed objects which can assemble themselves.]
At the TED conference in Los Angeles, architect and computer scientist Skylar Tibbits showed how the process allows objects to self-assemble. It could be used to install objects in hard-to-reach places such as underground water pipes, he suggested. It might also herald an age of self-assembling furniture, said experts.
(No word on if it'll call IKEA and complain that it failed to print out all the parts for your new futon.) That's it for now. Feel free to add any articles on the subject you might find. I think its clear, though, that we are living in the future! :cool:

What surprised me is that this is just being publicized now. I recall going to my company’s research center in Des Plaines about 25 years ago and one of the projects they were working on was developing various types of plastic raw materials for this machine.
Occam

What surprised me is that this is just being publicized now. I recall going to my company's research center in Des Plaines about 25 years ago and one of the projects they were working on was developing various types of plastic raw materials for this machine. Occam
But things like Makerbots run for $2,500. How much were the machines you guys were developing the plastic for, selling for?

No idea. However, management screwed up and ended up having to break the company apart and sell off each. I’d guess that the research projects got scrapped.
My division got sold to a thoroughly unethical company so I took retirement as quickly as I could.
Occam

Baby livers! Fava beans and chianti not included.]

The dream of one day completely doing away with frustratingly long transplant lists in favor of made to order, 3D-printed organs is closer to becoming a reality. Scientists at Organovo in San Diego have, for the very first time, been able to 3D print tiny replicas of human livers.
At just half a millimeter deep and four millimeters across, the mini livers can perform most of the same functions as the larger version hanging out over your gallbladder. Which means that these presumably adorable bile-makers stand to serve a variety of purposes, the most immediate of which would be using them to observe how our livers react to certain drugs and diseases.