21st Century

I have to agree with Vy. The outside world, including people they are with, seems to have disappeared for the huge number of people, especially those between two and thirty who are living inside their Ipads or similar. That was an impressive list for the first fourteen years of the twentieth century, Lois. However, if you had been back there then and asked, say in the newspaper, for a list of important inventions since the beginning of the century, how many of these do you think would have been included? Occam
I can see many that would be included even though quite a few would not be available to most people for at least another decade. Radios and automobiles would top the list--and all kinds of labor saving items, such as the bottling machine, the escalator and the vaccuum cleaner.
Cliche, outmoded, whatever you want to call it…I wish I was permanently living in the 70s or early 80s. I remember when we didn’t have any of this stuff and life was fine. The World worked perfectly with payphones and phones sitting on the kitchen counter. The DMV or the Doctor’s office worked perfectly with file cabinets and Rolodexes.
No thanks Vy, been there, done that and was working my ass off trying to raise our kids. It was a busy time for me, we had a 13 inch screen TV, living in a rented house built in 1888, had one phone, one car (in constant need of repair) and had to save pennies to take the kids to the movies. I worked two jobs five days a week to make ends meet, smoked heavily and no money for vacations. So no you can keep the 70's and 80's. Although I was introduced to Sagan via Cosmos and bought his books. That was a treat. So I'll keep my IPad and my cell phone thank you. Cap't Jack
It made you who you are today VA. I get it. Cell phones are an incredible invention and are incredibly useful. So is the internet.
All that is true, but most of the things you cite happened in the 20th Century. Medical advances may well become more well known later in the century.
Que? Higgs-Boson discovered 2012.] SpaceShipOne claims the X-Prize in October 2004.] Sub $1,000 DNA sequencing thumbdrive 2011.] Curiosity, a big ass rover, landed on Mars in 2012.] New Horizons probe launched towards Pluto in 2006.] Chris Hadfield did his cover of A Space Oddity in 2013.] Felix Baumgartner's space dive was in 2012.] Some of things have their origins in the 20th Century (Rutan started construction of SpaceShipOne in the late '90s), but some of the items on your list can trace their origins back to the 19th Century (and in the case of the automobile, the 18th Century), so I don't think its out of line to include the things that I did. All of that was just off the top of my head, were I to be systematic about it, I'm sure I could come up with many more things.
Cliche, outmoded, whatever you want to call it…I wish I was permanently living in the 70s or early 80s. I remember when we didn’t have any of this stuff and life was fine. The World worked perfectly with payphones and phones sitting on the kitchen counter. The DMV or the Doctor’s office worked perfectly with file cabinets and Rolodexes.
No thanks Vy, been there, done that and was working my ass off trying to raise our kids. It was a busy time for me, we had a 13 inch screen TV, living in a rented house built in 1888, had one phone, one car (in constant need of repair) and had to save pennies to take the kids to the movies. I worked two jobs five days a week to make ends meet, smoked heavily and no money for vacations. So no you can keep the 70's and 80's. Although I was introduced to Sagan via Cosmos and bought his books. That was a treat. So I'll keep my IPad and my cell phone thank you. Cap't Jack
Amen. I don't get the nostalgia for the pre-internet days. I might wish that we were still pushing for the Moon like we were in the glory days of Apollo, but that doesn't mean I want to be living in the '60s. As for devices causing people to turn away from one another, allow me to submit the following exhibits.

Brilliant CT! I couldn’t agree more! I had the opportunity to live in the mid 19th Century (sort of) and am damn glad I actually live in the 21st. BTW, how the hell do you post pictures on this forum?
Cap’t Jack

Brilliant CT! I couldn't agree more! I had the opportunity to live in the mid 19th Century (sort of) and am damn glad I actually live in the 21st. BTW, how the hell do you post pictures on this forum? Cap't Jack
Make 'em tiny.

Great one CT!
I wouldn’t buy a tablet bigger than 7" since it won’t fit in a pocket.
But tablets can do so much more than newspapers.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cyandroid.piano&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5jeWFuZHJvaWQucGlhbm8iXQ
I find it strange we don’t hear about music training via tablets a lot more.
psik

Brilliant CT! I couldn't agree more! I had the opportunity to live in the mid 19th Century (sort of) and am damn glad I actually live in the 21st. BTW, how the hell do you post pictures on this forum? Cap't Jack
Like this: {img}nosepickersinternational.com/going4thegold.jpg{/img} Only using "[" and "]" instead of "{" and "}".
All that is true, but most of the things you cite happened in the 20th Century. Medical advances may well become more well known later in the century.
Que? Higgs-Boson discovered 2012.] SpaceShipOne claims the X-Prize in October 2004.] Sub $1,000 DNA sequencing thumbdrive 2011.] Curiosity, a big ass rover, landed on Mars in 2012.] New Horizons probe launched towards Pluto in 2006.] Chris Hadfield did his cover of A Space Oddity in 2013.] Felix Baumgartner's space dive was in 2012.] Some of things have their origins in the 20th Century (Rutan started construction of SpaceShipOne in the late '90s), but some of the items on your list can trace their origins back to the 19th Century (and in the case of the automobile, the 18th Century), so I don't think its out of line to include the things that I did. All of that was just off the top of my head, were I to be systematic about it, I'm sure I could come up with many more things. I wasn't objecting to your list, just trying to put it into perspective.

I’m not sure if this was a problem, but just to clarify, the century number is one more than the yearly dates. Examples: The eighteenth century was the 1700s, not the 1800s. The nineteenth century was the 1800s not the 1900s. None of us lived in the 19th century unless we are at least 114 years old. If the earliest automobiles occurred in the 18th century, that would mean they would have been available about the time the U.S.A. was formed (the 1700s). :slight_smile:
Occam

Thevillageatheist - 09 July 2014 03:57 PM Brilliant CT! I couldn’t agree more! I had the opportunity to live in the mid 19th Century (sort of) and am damn glad I actually live in the 21st. BTW, how the hell do you post pictures on this forum? Cap’t Jack Like this: {img}nosepickersinternational.com/going4thegold.jpg{/img} Only using “[" and “]" instead of “{" and “}".
Thanks CT, I'll try it out. I did try once but couldn't get it to fit on the forum post. Cap't Jack
I’m not sure if this was a problem, but just to clarify, the century number is one more than the yearly dates. Examples: The eighteenth century was the 1700s, not the 1800s. The nineteenth century was the 1800s not the 1900s. None of us lived in the 19th century unless we are at least 114 years old. If the earliest automobiles occurred in the 18th century, that would mean they would have been available about the time the U.S.A. was formed (the 1700s).
Not trying to be facetious but is there anyone here who doesn't know this? Cap't Jack

TVA, while the posters may have been joking or may had information they didn’t add, the following were a bit odd, so that’s why I pointed out the system.
Post #22 by CT:

some of the items on your list can trace their origins back to the 19th Century (and in the case of the automobile, the 18th Century)

Post #24 by TVA:
I had the opportunity to live in the mid 19th Century (sort of)

Occam

Cuganot’s steam wagon, which was the forerunner of the automobile was invented in the 1700s. It didn’t get followed up on until the 1800s, when the British built their first steam powered cars, but because of restrictive laws which were quickly passed, the British steam cars became locomotives, and gasoline powered cars would have to wait until the end of the 19th Century to appear.

Cuganot's steam wagon, which was the forerunner of the automobile was invented in the 1700s. It didn't get followed up on until the 1800s, when the British built their first steam powered cars, but because of restrictive laws which were quickly passed, the British steam cars became locomotives, and gasoline powered cars would have to wait until the end of the 19th Century to appear.
The credit goes to the person(s) by whom an invention was perfected and made available to the general public, the era it happened in and when the general public embraced it. It doesn't matter what might have stopped it from having been made available earlier. Lois
Cuganot's steam wagon, which was the forerunner of the automobile was invented in the 1700s. It didn't get followed up on until the 1800s, when the British built their first steam powered cars, but because of restrictive laws which were quickly passed, the British steam cars became locomotives, and gasoline powered cars would have to wait until the end of the 19th Century to appear.
The credit goes to the person(s) by whom an invention was perfected and made available to the general public, the era it happened in and when the general public enbraced it. It doesn't matter what might have stopped it from having been made available earlier. Lois Except that when historians talk about the birth of the automobile they always mention Cugnot as being the first to conceive of such a vehicle. Its all a matter of opinion.]
Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot (26 February 1725 – 2 October 1804) was a French inventor. He is known to have built the first working self-propelled mechanical vehicle, the world's first automobile. This claim is disputed by some sources, however, which suggest that Ferdinand Verbiest, as a member of a Jesuit mission in China, may have been the first to build, around 1672, a steam-powered vehicle but that was too small to carry a driver or passengers.[1
Steam road vehicles were popular until they were legislated out of existence.]
More commercially successful for a time than Trevithick's carriage were the steam carriage services operated in England in the 1830s, principally by Walter Hancock and associates of Sir Goldsworthy Gurney, among others and in Scotland by John Scott Russell. However, the heavy road tolls imposed by the Turnpike Acts discouraged steam road vehicles and for a short time allowed the continued monopoly of horse traction until railway trunk routes became established in the 1840s and '50s.
By your logic, Elon Musk is the inventor of the electric car, since they didn't capture the public imagination until after Tesla began building cars, even though folks have been selling them off and on since the 1890s.]
TVA, while the posters may have been joking or may had information they didn’t add, the following were a bit odd, so that’s why I pointed out the system. Post #22 by CT: some of the items on your list can trace their origins back to the 19th Century (and in the case of the automobile, the 18th Century) Post #24 by TVA: I had the opportunity to live in the mid 19th Century (sort of) Occam
I knew somebody would cock an eyebrow after reading my post! I was a reenactor and a living historian for a time (The Civil War period, hence the 19th Century. That's why I posted "sort of") and experienced the conditions of that period minus the terror, disease and blood. Wearing wool in the Summer though was enough to long for an air conditioned room. As to CT's post, I don't know. What about it CT? Steam cars perhaps? They were toying with the idea then. Cap't Jack

Oops, just went back and read your post CT.
Cap’t Jack

The credit goes to the person(s) by whom an invention was perfected and made available to the general public, the era it happened in and when the general public enbraced it. It doesn't matter what might have stopped it from having been made available earlier. Lois Except that when historians talk about the birth of the automobile they always mention Cugnot as being the first to conceive of such a vehicle. Its all a matter of opinion.]
Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot (26 February 1725 – 2 October 1804) was a French inventor. He is known to have built the first working self-propelled mechanical vehicle, the world's first automobile. This claim is disputed by some sources, however, which suggest that Ferdinand Verbiest, as a member of a Jesuit mission in China, may have been the first to build, around 1672, a steam-powered vehicle but that was too small to carry a driver or passengers.[1
Steam road vehicles were popular until they were legislated out of existence.]
More commercially successful for a time than Trevithick's carriage were the steam carriage services operated in England in the 1830s, principally by Walter Hancock and associates of Sir Goldsworthy Gurney, among others and in Scotland by John Scott Russell. However, the heavy road tolls imposed by the Turnpike Acts discouraged steam road vehicles and for a short time allowed the continued monopoly of horse traction until railway trunk routes became established in the 1840s and '50s.
By your logic, Elon Musk is the inventor of the electric car, since they didn't capture the public imagination until after Tesla began building cars, even though folks have been selling them off and on since the 1890s.] The original inventor can be and often is credited for an invention that didn't take off until later, even after his lifetime. Sometimes the original inventor's name is unknown to most peope who use the item. It's kind of a crapshoot. Does anyone know who invented the typewriter? Hint: it wasn't Remington or Underwood. It's a name I'll bet you and most everyone else have never heard.
Does anyone know who invented the typewriter? Hint: it wasn’t Remington or Underwood. It’s a name I’ll bet you amd most everyone else have never heard.
Easy, and I didn't look it up, Christopher Sholes. Ok, who invented the vacuum cleaner, hint he wasn't related to a president. Cap't Jack