Mind blowing

I suggest you watch this. I’d like to know what you think. The person who sent it said
Worried about ISIS? Global warming? Nuclear rearmament? Open access? This will put it all in perspective.
It is fascinating.
http://www.radiolab.org/story/mapping-what-you-cannot-see-cannot-know-cannot-visit-kw/
Lois

I don’t know about “perspective.” It may, however. may give you an excuse not to deal with today’s problems.

I don't know about "perspective." It may, however. may give you an excuse not to deal with today's problems.
Not so much an excuse, but a different view. Although it says not to worry about certain problems, anyone would. When something dangerous is sitting on our doorstep anyone would want to do something, even if we are surrounded by other galaxies and limitless space. Lois

I just wish more people could see that. It really reminds us how in the scheme of things, including within the age of the universe, just how utterly silly our problems are. We could blow up the earth in a nuclear war and not only would no one care, outside of earth that is, but worse yet, no one would even take notice. I mean that’s low. Reminds of the episode in Star Trek Next Gen where they meet the Borg. Picard boldly, heroically, pronounces how humans will fight to the death!! And the Borg’s response is, “death is irrelevant”. Ouch.

I think it was Douglas Adams who said something like, that we are not the only intelligent life in the universe and that we are the only intelligent life in the universe are equally extraordinary and profound proposals

I think it was Douglas Adams who said something like, that we are not the only intelligent life in the universe and that we are the only intelligent life in the universe are equally extraordinary and profound proposals
Yes, but even if there is other intelligent life in the universe and we don't know about it and can't contact it, it's the same as if no other intelligent life exists. Lois
Yes, but even if there is other intelligent life in the universe and we don't know about it and can't contact it, it's the same as if no other intelligent life exists. Lois Well, yes, until the moment we do know about it.

funny that,
saw “Contact” for the first time last night.
Guess they’re still listening too.

I just wish more people could see that. It really reminds us how in the scheme of things, including within the age of the universe, just how utterly silly our problems are. We could blow up the earth in a nuclear war and not only would no one care, outside of earth that is, but worse yet, no one would even take notice. I mean that's low.
Exactly. We are only a dot in the universe.
Reminds of the episode in Star Trek Next Gen where they meet the Borg. Picard boldly, heroically, pronounces how humans will fight to the death!! And the Borg's response is, "death is irrelevant". Ouch.
Deactivated......Make (something) inactive by disconnecting or destroying it. (Oxford Dictionaries) "Resistance is futile"? :lol:

Consider the Fermi paradox.
From the wiki here]

The Fermi paradox (or Fermi's paradox) is the apparent contradiction between high estimates of the probability of the existence of extraterrestrial civilization and humanity's lack of contact with, or evidence for, such civilizations
Some of the possible explanations of the paradox? It is the nature of intelligent life to destroy itself
This is the argument that technological civilizations may usually or invariably destroy themselves before or shortly after developing radio or space flight technology.[57] Possible means of annihilation include nuclear war, biological warfare or accidental contamination, climate change, nanotechnological catastrophe, ill-advised physics experiments,[Note 4] a badly programmed super-intelligence, or a Malthusian catastrophe after the deterioration of a planet's ecosphere.
It is the nature of intelligent life to destroy others
Another possibility is that an intelligent species beyond a certain point of technological capability will destroy other intelligence as it appears, as is exemplified by the theorised extermination of Neanderthals by early humans. The idea that something, or someone, is destroying intelligent life in the universe has been well explored in science fiction[Note 5] and scientific literature.
They do exist, but we see no evidence
It may be that technological extraterrestrial civilizations exist but that human beings cannot communicate with them because of constraints such as problems of scale or technology. Perhaps their nature is too alien for meaningful communication or their methods of communication are too alien to even be recognized as technology.
Intelligent civilizations are too far apart in space or time
It may be that non-colonizing technologically capable alien civilizations exist, but that they are simply too far apart for meaningful two-way communication.[72] If two civilizations are separated by several thousand light years, it is very possible that one or both cultures may become extinct before meaningful dialogue can be established.
Communication is improbable for technical reasons
Radio wave communication may be realistically impossible, as waves of the electromagnetic variety that we use to communicate appear to be the fastest moving waves, and the only kind that can move through a vacuum, but would still take thousands of years or more to reach the receiving end. Another possibility is that extraterrestrials may use a form of communication that our devices can't detect, or simply are made not to.
They are too alien
Another possibility is that human theoreticians have underestimated how much alien life might differ from that on Earth. Aliens may be psychologically unwilling to attempt to communicate with human beings. Perhaps human mathematics is parochial to Earth and not shared by other life,[91] though others argue this can only apply to abstract math since the math associated with physics must be similar (in results, if not in methods.)
The evidence is being suppressed
It is theoretically possible that SETI groups are not reporting positive detections, or governments have been blocking extraterrestrial signals or suppressing publication of detections. This response might be attributed to National Security and Trade Interests from the potential use of advanced extraterrestrial technology or weapons.
They choose not to interact with us
In these scenarios, alien civilizations exist that are technically capable of contacting Earth, but explicitly choose not to do so. This is the official position of the Earth today; we listen (SETI), but except for a few small efforts, do not explicitly transmit.
Earth is deliberately not contacted (the zoo hypothesis)
The zoo hypothesis states that superintelligent extraterrestrial life exists and does not contact life on Earth to allow for its natural evolution and development.
It is dangerous to communicate
An alien civilization might feel it is too dangerous to communicate, either for us or for them. After all, when very different civilizations have met on Earth, the results have often been disastrous for one side or the other, and the same may well apply to interstellar contact.[106] Even contact at a safe distance could lead to infection by computer code[107] or even ideas themselves[108] (see meme). Perhaps prudent civilizations actively hide not only from us but from everyone, out of fear of other civilizations.
The Fermi paradox itself is what prevents communication
Perhaps the Fermi paradox itself—or the alien equivalent of it—is the ultimate reason for any civilization to avoid contact with other civilizations, even if no other obstacles existed. From any one civilization's point of view, it would be unlikely for them to be the first ones to make first contact. Therefore it is likely that previous civilizations faced fatal problems with first contact. So perhaps every civilization keeps quiet because of the possibility that there is a real reason for others to do so.
They are here unobserved
It may be that intelligent alien life forms not only exist, but are already present here on Earth. They are not detected because they do not wish it, human beings are technically unable to, or because societies refuse to admit to the evidence.
These are only a sample from the wiki. Take your pick and speculate ad infinitum. Have some fun. :) BTW, there is also the Kardashev scale to consider. From the wiki here]
The Kardashev scale is a method of measuring a civilization's level of technological advancement, based on the amount of energy a civilization is able to utilize. The scale has three designated categories called Type I, II, and III. A Type I civilization uses all available resources impinging on its home planet, Type II harnesses all the energy of its star, and Type III of its galaxy.
Current status of human civilization
In 2008, total world energy consumption was 474 exajoules (474×1018 J=132,000 TWh), equivalent to an average power consumption of 15 TW (or 0.717 on Sagan's Kardashev scale).