You don't have to believe in God to go to heaven says Pope

Pope Francis assures skeptics: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven
In comments likely to enhance his progressive reputation, Pope Francis has written a long, open letter to the founder of La Repubblica newspaper, Eugenio Scalfari, stating that non-believers would be forgiven by God if they followed their consciences.
Responding to a list of questions published in the paper by Mr Scalfari, who is not a Roman Catholic, Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.
"Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience. …
continue:

I’m so relieved!

Absolute nonsense.
What do non-believers care about this stupid ass claim? We don’t believe in god or heaven or divine judgement! :lol:
The pope is a turd, the end.

Let’s not be too hasty Mike, I mean look at what Il Papa says about priests being allowed to marry, openly gay priests, LIMITED time in purgatory (hey that’s a plus because those magazines in god’s waiting room are as usual out of date) plus the added satisfaction of knowing that we can pass the pearly gates now as well. What da say now hmm? The Catholic church lookin’ pretty appealing now? What’s next Frank? No limbo? Just bingo.
Cap’t Jack

What’s next is, them saying they thought all along. They still are the source of all goodness and light, and all that stuff about judgment was just for an earlier, simpler time. Now that we can handle it, by His grace, we can all be in the club.

As long as you pay the obligatory 10% of your income, or will that tradition be thrown out as well?
Cap’t Jack

I’m sorry but I like this pope more and more I learn. Just today I read a story about how he has two cars (popes evidently have two for certain things, by tradition). Both of his are used, older, with one being the car driven 29 years ago in various slum areas by a local priest. To me the emphasis on humility, poverty, openness, etc. are very refreshing and DO have a positive effect on Catholics. Face it, Catholicism and religion in general are here for a long long while. Anything that can moderate believers base tendencies, like hating gays, being hypocrits about wealth and poverty, etc. is ok by me.

Pope Francis assures skeptics: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven
How very generous of him.

That’s a good start Cuth, now how about melting down all the gold in St. Peter’s and selling it for top dollar, then distributing it to the poor? after that declare “sin” to be a doctrinal contrivance designed to create guilt, self doubt and self loathing, eliminating the need for parishioners to confess to their priests that they offended god by having carnal thoughts? Of course what Francis proposes IS a start. We musn’t rush these things though, after all it has been fifteen hundred years.
Cap’t Jack

That's a good start Cuth, now how about melting down all the gold in St. Peter's and selling it for top dollar, then distributing it to the poor? after that declare "sin" to be a doctrinal contrivance designed to create guilt, self doubt and self loathing, eliminating the need for parishioners to confess to their priests that they offended god by having carnal thoughts? Of course what Francis proposes IS a start. We musn't rush these things though, after all it has been fifteen hundred years. Cap't Jack
And give up all notes related to pedophilia cases and stop protecting them from prosecution.