Will there ever be a conscious robot?

We won't know until we get one.
Maybe not even then, at least not at first.
We won't know until we get one.
Har Har Har!!! :)

They already exist. Humans are conscious robots.
Just look at any group of religious Fundamentalists.
Lois

A robot with a conscious.
We’ll know we’ve gone to far when they start getting baptized.

A robot with a conscious. We’ll know we've gone to far when they start getting baptized.
If they decide to worship their creators, hopefully they will be aware that their creators were scientists.
A robot with a conscious. We’ll know we've gone to far when they start getting baptized.
If they decide to worship their creators, hopefully they will be aware that their creators were scientists. Then they will create a supernatural uber-scientist to oversee all scientists, one that all robots must pray to and bow down to and which devises sadistic eternal punishment for the refusal to do so. Nothing would change.
If they decide to worship their creators, hopefully they will be aware that their creators were scientists. Then they will create a supernatural uber-scientist to oversee all scientists, one that all robots must pray to and bow down to and which devises sadistic eternal punishment for the refusal to do so. Nothing would change. Since our model for consciousness is our own, then there is that chance, but they essentially would be a different life form, from us, with different lifespans, probably significantly different courses of development, different perceptual abilities, a different history, etc. So I suspect that they, as a "race" will not be as susceptible to the kind of religious thinking that humans are so subject to. Although the fundamentalists among the human population may either want to kill them off or else be dead-set on bringing them into the fold of Jesus or Allah or whatever God is popular in the time.

You just described every animal on earth.

If they decide to worship their creators, hopefully they will be aware that their creators were scientists. Then they will create a supernatural uber-scientist to oversee all scientists, one that all robots must pray to and bow down to and which devises sadistic eternal punishment for the refusal to do so. Nothing would change. Since our model for consciousness is our own, then there is that chance, but they essentially would be a different life form, from us, with different lifespans, probably significantly different courses of development, different perceptual abilities, a different history, etc. So I suspect that they, as a "race" will not be as susceptible to the kind of religious thinking that humans are so subject to. Although the fundamentalists among the human population may either want to kill them off or else be dead-set on bringing them into the fold of Jesus or Allah or whatever God is popular in the time. It could go that way or the robots could become even more extreme fundamentalists in ways we can't even imagine. Never forget the law of unintended consequences. We should be careful of what we wish for and what we plan for. "The best laid plans of mice and men . . . "
If they decide to worship their creators, hopefully they will be aware that their creators were scientists. Then they will create a supernatural uber-scientist to oversee all scientists, one that all robots must pray to and bow down to and which devises sadistic eternal punishment for the refusal to do so. Nothing would change. Since our model for consciousness is our own, then there is that chance, but they essentially would be a different life form, from us, with different lifespans, probably significantly different courses of development, different perceptual abilities, a different history, etc. So I suspect that they, as a "race" will not be as susceptible to the kind of religious thinking that humans are so subject to. Although the fundamentalists among the human population may either want to kill them off or else be dead-set on bringing them into the fold of Jesus or Allah or whatever God is popular in the time. Right Tim, they would just make sure they got the proper "programming". A little software or hardware chip.
It could go that way or the robots could become even more extreme fundamentalists in ways we can't even imagine. Never forget the law of unintended consequences. We should be careful of what we wish for and what we plan for. "The best laid plans of mice and men . . . "
Are you suggesting that we should give up aspirations for and the actualizing of the development of new technologies, because something problematic can come out of it? Based on the technological developments of the past century, certainly problematic things have arisen, but taken as a whole, I think that we are better off.
You just described every animal on earth.
I assume that you are referring to my statement "...they essentially would be a different life form, from us, with different lifespans, probably significantly different courses of development, different perceptual abilities, a different history, etc. ..." True. But, conscious robots, I think, could be on par or superior to us in terms of sentience. The other differences that I suggested (above) between humans and them could be even more pronounced than the differences that we have with other animals. Another fundamental difference would likely be in their manner of reproduction. All of these differences might make them less prone to fall prey to religious thinking. Or, as Vyazma suggests, if religious thinking did become a problem for them, a programming fix might take care of it.
But, conscious robots, I think, could be on par or superior to us in terms of sentience. The other differences that I suggested (above) between humans and them could be even more pronounced than the differences that we have with other animals.
How about differences between us? Could more intelligent people be "more aware" than the less intelligent ones?
But, conscious robots, I think, could be on par or superior to us in terms of sentience. The other differences that I suggested (above) between humans and them could be even more pronounced than the differences that we have with other animals.
How about differences between us? Could more intelligent people be "more aware" than the less intelligent ones? Well, that depends on our definitions of intelligence and awareness. For example a four year old with an IQ of 150 could be less aware of what's going on in the world than an adult with an IQ of 80. Also, a person with an IQ of 180 could be so intensely focused on one area that he/she is generally less aware of life than a person with a normal IQ. But all in all, generlly speaking, I woulld expect that "intelligence" can give an advantage in "awareness".

How do we refer to the robots, do we say, (he, she, or it)?
And do you think the IRS will let us claim robot as a dependent?

They will tell us what to call them. Or ELSE!
Assuming they bother communicating with us. :lol:
psik