Why does the Republican Party Love Vladimir Putin So Much?

The first forum that really took my questions was Julia Sweeney’s. Julia never participated. It got folded into skepticsforum and is the same dozen or so people from years ago now. The ones that actually helped, that is, told me how bankrupt my logic was, are long gone.

(Get to the point Lausten) It’s amazing to me that a few people have hung around here, despite getting so much feedback about their posts. I kind of admire their tenacity. It also helps keep this from becoming an echo chamber.

Back in my college days, 1979, I went to a talk given by a physicist who was at the University of Chicago, making the first “pile” of reactive material. He counted up the nukes we had at the time and said we were not quite to “One Beach” of nuclear firepower. He made up the term, meaning, if all of them were fired off, it would turn the world into “one beach”. I’m sure we’ve surpassed that now, even after letting some of them retire. And, I don’t think he factored in the effects, like making all food reactive or destroying the eco-system.

image image

That’s why. Men of vision!!! (psychopaths)

Quite true. There are many gone, but some of us have stayed and some people who came after those who have left, who get feedback concerning their posts are still hanging around. I do miss asanta, who’s been gone for a while. She didn’t return after the last forum change. Not sure where she went. Then there was LL (AKA Lois) and a few others. Not sure what happened to them. Well, I do know where Lois is. She’s in another humanist group, but the others I have no idea.

1 Like

Yes, before the latest change I drastically reduced my participation. The forum was a wasteland for a long time and I am so glad it was revived and modernized. I just identify with CFI goals and enjoy our conversations.

1 Like

I’m glad to have you back. :slight_smile:

In other words, you don’t know what’s going on but you are worried.

I do know what’s going on and I’m only slightly worried about the possible American reaction. Not Russia.

Every nuclear power has its arsenal on alert and every nuclear power is potentially a threat to the others. That does not constitute a direct threat.

Putin’s words:

“Whoever tries to interfere with us, and even more so, to create threats for our country, for our people should know that Russia’s response will be immediate and will lead you to such consequences that you have never experienced in your history.”

I can think of some consequences besides nuclear war.

Can you think of consequences that countries have not experienced before? How could Russia invade the US? Some sort of terrorist attack? What would that accomplish?

Russia could kill a huge number of Americans with conventional weapons.

LOL, the US has more weapons than the rest of the world combined.

There are other ways,

For instance, some European countries are very dependent of Russian natural gaz, 100 % for Hungary.

Actually, I was looking at an article that showed Russia had more Nukes than the U.S.

That said, it is also feared Russia will use chemical warfare:

That about sums it up.
You already know everything so don’t need to do any learning, nor do you feel obligated to provide some substance to your claims.

Me, I recognize I don’t know a lot of what’s happening, especial on a global political scale, with its crazy politician puppets of madmen oligarchs, who’s conception of reality doesn’t reach beyond their own portfolio.

That’s why I seek out more information, even critical information to my position - since I can’t understand my position without learning from all sides. You on the other hand, don’t seem to need, or care, what anyone else thinks, since you’re already smarter, and righter, than all of us. Is that how it works?

I get the feeling you have no conception of how much this is going to kick the entire world in the ass. We’re already on borrowed time, why are we busy destroying and burning up people and resources?

The F’n Russian country was never under any threat from Western powers.
Lordie who would want that land and the headache of fighting those people on their own ground. For what ?

Russian simply doesn’t have enough, of anything, to want to dirty manicured uppity westerner’s hands with the horrendous task of taking it.

It’s the big Putin lie folks don’t seem to want to talk about, wouldn’t want to hurt the paranoid’s feelings.

Back to the paranoids mush for brains, think of the wasted resources. Oh, they aren’t wasted at all, they are weapons of mass destruction like scientists could only dream of before. Yeah, there’s enough blame for everyone, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Advanced military technology in Russia -

By Chatham House – International Affairs Think Tank

Capabilities, limitations and challenges

RESEARCH PAPER - 23 SEPTEMBER 2021 - ISBN: 978 1 78413 494 5

https://www.chathamhouse.org/2021/09/advanced-military-technology-russia/03-putins-super-weapons

Military technology innovation enables Russia’s way of war and informs new concepts of operation and military thought around future warfare, especially asymmetric advantages against more powerful competitors.

New weapons systems, dubbed Putin’s superoruzhie (‘super weapons’) and first unveiled in 2018, signal Russia’s intent to innovate in the defence-industrial field to counter the perceived conventional military superiority of great power competitors such as the US and its NATO allies.

Russia is pursuing the incremental integration of asymmetric force-multiplier technologies into its established and legacy weapons systems. …

… This research paper offers an overview of Russia’s modern military capabilities and advanced technologies in key sectors. It also discusses the effects of military innovation on Russian military thinking and its impact for the US, NATO, and their partners.

That’s true but thatreally makes no difference. Combined we have the nuclear power to wipe mankind from the face of the earth. Whoever launches a first strike will surely die.

That’s what my son said too.

Wouldnt it be better if the US step in and actually said to everyone just stop, sit down and lets negotiate a peaceful outcome instead of piling on threats, sanctions and the supply of weapons that only add fuel to the war brings up closer to nuclear annihilation?

Think it’s that easy? Especially considering the Putin Obligate Trumpster Republicans who maintain their strangle hold on delusion thinking?

Russia has violated Ukraine’s sovereignty and international law. The US response has been economic: sanctions against Russia that are the largest ever and yet simultaneously unlikely to alter the shape of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s aggression.

So, how should we think about the US as a superpower in 2022?

It’s too early to draw broad conclusions about what war in Eastern Europe means for the future of America in the world. But there are enough clues to suggest that America’s power has limits, and indeed it always has. With the Soviet Union’s demise, the United States achieved global dominance for a brief unipolar moment. Then President George W. Bush squandered it through destructive (and expensive) misguided regime-change wars. Subsequent presidents gaslit the American public on progress in the Middle East in two conflicts that killed hundreds of thousands. Despite all those unforced errors, the United States remains a superpower, though the limits of non-military power have been exposed. …

Thomas Pickering, who served as ambassador to Russia from 1993 to 1996, says that the “caricature” of America as a superpower has obscured the way most Americans think about how the world works. …

ROFL! Do you really believe the U.S. has that kind of influence and power? The U.S. cannot control Russia. Never has been able to do that. I’m often amazed how those on the Right forget the “Red Scare” and “Better dead than Red”, and the Cold Water, as well blacklisting various people. They tried to blacklist Lucille Ball and say she was a Commie. I also find it funny that the Commie Putin is accusing a Jew of being a Nazi. It’s all insane and the U.S. can’t stop anything because, as we said before, Putin has his finger on his Nuke button. I just hope “Better dead than Red” doesn’t become true, but in the Ukraine, it seems to be true currently.

" ROFL! Do you really believe the U.S. has that kind of influence and power"

YES!!!