Why do Global Warming "Skeptics" Reject Rational Debate?

Yeah, don’t they realize that as all this earthly carbon dioxide drifts upwards to the sky, they are polluting heaven? :lol:
Occam

Yeah, don't they realize that as all this earthly carbon dioxide drifts upwards to the sky, they are polluting heaven? :lol: Occam
Oh, we are now considering extracting methane hydrate because it is a very efficient energy source. But there is a catch.
Methane hydrate: Dirty fuel or energy saviour? By Richard Anderson. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27021610
Yeah, don't they realize that as all this earthly carbon dioxide drifts upwards to the sky, they are polluting heaven? :lol: Occam
:lol: They just don't think that hard about it.
"Cleaner cars, cleaner factories, cleaner power generation makes sense. But not overnight and not forced by government.
Reminds me of a cartoon I saw that depicted a conference talking about all the benefits of sustainable green energy, and some heckler says, "What if it's all a big hoax and we create a better world for nothing?"
Full collapse in a couple of centuries? So does that mean we have time to slow it down or reverse it? Is it possible to reverse it?
It means most people will close their eyes and minds to it since it won't affect them directly and who has time to think about what will happen in a couple of centuries? There's money to be made right now. What else is new? Lois
Full collapse in a couple of centuries? So does that mean we have time to slow it down or reverse it? Is it possible to reverse it?
It means most people will close their eyes and minds to it since it won't affect them directly and who has time to think about what will happen in a couple of centuries? There's money to be made right now. What else is new? Lois They won't make any money if a tornado blows their business away or the drought affects crops, etc etc
It means most people will close their eyes and minds to it since it won't affect them directly and who has time to think about what will happen in a couple of centuries? There's money to be made right now. What else is new? Lois They won't make any money if a tornado blows their business away or the drought affects crops, etc etc But many refuse to consder the connection even if it's thrown in their faces. They don't want anyone, especially government, interfering with their ability to make money, no matter what the consequences might be. They will continue to dig in their heels and claim global climate change is not occuring and any unusual phenomena are simply natural fluctuations in the weather, so no environmental controls are necessary. How do we handle such willful ignorance? Lois
It means most people will close their eyes and minds to it since it won't affect them directly and who has time to think about what will happen in a couple of centuries? There's money to be made right now. What else is new? Lois They won't make any money if a tornado blows their business away or the drought affects crops, etc etc But many refuse to consder the connection even if it's thrown in their faces. They don't want anyone, especially government, interfering with their ability to make money, no matter what the consequences might be. They will continue to dig in their heels and claim global climate change is not occuring and any unusual phenomena are simply natural fluctuations in the weather, so no environmental controls are necessary. How do we handle such willful ignorance? Lois That's why I see greed as a disease. Even someone with an eating disorder can often come around and let go of their delusion, denial, and willful ignorance eventually.
That's why I see greed as a disease.
. . . and the ReaGUNomics political team has been the souped-up weapon. Too bad this one is missing the dedication to Gov' Reagun but hey… time for an interlude anyways :cheese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXspsfoPX50
And that's where I get upset with some Xians, esp those who believe that crap. However, because they believe in an eternity beyond earth, they feel it doesn't matter because they have a better place to go. Humm... I don't know. If dad gives you a room to sleep in as a child, that doesn't mean you can trash and destroy it because when you grow up you can get a better place, expecting then to know how to take care of it when you never did before. Shoot! IF I were a goddess, I'd expel them from heaven/eternity/whatever they choose to call it just for not taking care of their only home- earth. The thing is, they won't ever know what they've done to future generations with their disregard for our planet because they'll be dead. I'd argue what the Bile says, but they'd just probably deny what it says because they don't read the Bile and/or create their own interpretation of it, only to accuse me of not interpreting it correctly. You have one group who says God gave us this planet and left us in charge to care for it and another group who says it doesn't matter because God's building us a better place to live for all eternity. The first I say, despite their belief in the Wizard of Oz, they are still in touch with reality, somewhat and the other group who doesn't give a damn, because they truly believe it doesn't matter because they will go to the Land of Oz. One I can tolerate, the other I can't stand.
I think this hits the nail on the head for North America anyway. We've got a born again christian PM who seems to be fully committed to policies that will almost assure Canada does its part to create catastrophic global warming. http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jan/14/canada-carbon-emissions-2030-tar-sands
Canada's carbon emissions will soar 38% by 2030 mainly due to expanding tar sands projects, according to the government's own projections. In a new report (pdf) to the United Nations, the Harper administration says it expects emissions of 815million tonnes of CO2 in 2030, up from 590Mt in 1990. Emissions from the fast-growing tar sands sector is projected to quadruple between 2005 and 2030, reaching 137Mt a year, more than Belgium and many other countries, the report shows. Worse, Canada is likely under-reporting its emissions. An investigation in 2013 found that Canada's reported emissions from its natural gas sector, the world's third largest, could be missing as much as 212Mt in 2011 alone.
For someone who probably believes that the world needs to end in fire before his saviour can come and create heaven on Earth then global warming probably seems heaven sent. Bush was the same.

More on Stephen Harper’s religious beliefs and how they’e probably impacting our actions on global warming and environmental issues.

Any Canadian listening to the news these days might well conclude that the Republican extremists or some associated evangelical group has occupied Ottawa. And they'd be righter than Job, I believe. Almost daily, more evidence surfaces that Canada's government is guided by tribalists averse to scientific reason in favour of Biblical fundamentalism -- or what some call "evangelical religious skepticism." First came Canada's pull-out of the Kyoto agreement without any rational or achievable national plan to battle carbon pollution. Next came the hysterical and unprecedented letter by Natural Resource Minister Joe Oliver, an investment banker. It branded local environmentalists and First Nations as foreign radicals because they dared to question the economic and environmental impacts of a Chinese-funded pipeline. At the same time federal security types declared Greenpeace, a civil organization originally started by Canadian journalists, to be a "multi-issue extremist group."
Unknown to most Canadians, the prime minister belongs to the Christian and Missionary Alliance, an evangelical Protestant church with two million members. Alberta, a petro state, is one of its great strongholds on the continent. The church believes that the free market is divinely inspired and that non-believers are "lost." Now let's be clear: I am a Christian and a social conservative and a long time advocate of rural landowners and an unabashed conservationist. I have spent many pleasant hours in a variety of evangelical churches and fundamentalist communities. Faith is not the concern here. But transparency and full disclosure has become the issue of paramount importance. To date, Harper has refused to answer media questions about his beliefs or which groups inform them. If he answered media queries about his minority creed (and fewer than 10 per cent of Canadians would call themselves evangelicals) he'd have to admit that he openly sympathizes if not endorses what's known as "evangelical climate skepticism."

This could be another reason why some deniers seem batcrap crazy.

Various conservative Christian leaders have united with the Cornwall Alliance for the release of a shocking new 12-part DVD series, "Resisting The Green Dragon," that attempts to debase and discredit the environmental movement by portraying it as "one of the greatest deceptions of our day" that is "seducing your children" and "striving to put America and the world under its destructive control." The hyperbolic accusations spewed throughout the video give it the appearance of a ridiculous parody, calling environmentalism "deadly," a "cult" and a "spiritual deception." Unfortunately, the comical PSA is anything but a joke. In the video, David Barton, founder of WallBuilders, attests that environmentalists' "false assertions are based more on their own morbid pessimistic fears, not on any good science," while the president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, Dr. Richard Land, says, "Environmentalists have a long history of believing and promoting exaggerations and myths" -- statements both so steeped in irony that they are hardly worth parrying.
This movement is claiming that environmentalism is akin to the anti-christ, is it any wonder there's no way to have a rational discussion with many deniers?

Far too many of us simply don’t care about any issue unless it has a direct and immediate effect on their lives. In simple words, most people don’t care unless they need to care about anything. Good or bad, that’s a reality of life for most people. Check the stats, you would be amazed at how many don’t even know who the governor of their state is and don’t care. Do you really expect people like that to engage in a rational debate about anything.

“'Go away, I’m 'bating”
It’s disturbing that the movie Idiocracy was probably far too optimistic about the future.