Years of Living Dangerously and the creepy side of internet debate

This is intended for those who keep up on, or occasionally study, the internet global warming “debate”
and are interested in how the climate science denialist’s mind ticks.

Here at CFI we have civil discussions, even when we strongly disagree we keep an even keel,
even when we occasionally fling invective back'n forth, it seems to remain within bounds cause no one takes themselves too seriously,
thus seems to me discussions don't get out of hand.
But, there are other places that have a bit more of the wild west about them, such as SkepticForum a one time favorite haunt.
Now admittedly, I can be a bit of a pecker head and join right in with the rough and tumble.
I'm known to proverbially poke my proverbial finger into the proverbial chest of a virtual internet conversation mate
when that mate presents demonstrably false science as legitimate.
Such as our pal Mr. Jim Steele does with increasingly extreme articles.
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=23345
"Years of Living Dangerously Sea level Rise"
Still I was surprise at the decidedly creepy turn of the conversation.
The fun starts at comment #8
If you want to keep it short post #41 sums it up at http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=405392#p405392
<em>
Not much else to add. But, I did want to share the incident over here.</em>

When he starts his response to you by regurgitating the lie that global warming has stopped since 2003 you know you are dealing with a dishonest person. You cannot change his mind, you can only counter his talking points and hope readers can see through his lies.

When he starts his response to you by regurgitating the lie that global warming has stopped since 2003 you know you are dealing with a dishonest person. You cannot change his mind, you can only counter his talking points and hope readers can see through his lies.
If anyone wants to know how a climate change denialist's "mind" works, listen in to Dennis Prager sometime. Warning: His supercilious attitude will drive you bonkers. He also has some wonderful things to say about religion, and supports the death penalty. http://tunein.com/radio/The-Dennis-Prager-Show-p20170/

I don’t take well to being threatened so after sleeping on it, I decided to write a blogpost about this latest incident.

http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2014/05/steele-creepy-side-internetdebate.html … Now it's Jim Steele, the man who feels he has the right to misrepresent climate science and maliciously attack the character of scientists he disagrees with, who's threatening me, though not with legal action. Nor by any challenge for a constructive debate. No, he has chosen the veiled threat of stalking and physical confrontation. It's neatly framed so plenty of deniability - still see for yourselves if the whole thing don't feel creepy:
Re: Years of Living Dangerously Sea level Rise Post #38 Postby JIm Steele » Tue May 06, 2014 8:53 pm Citizenchallenged writes: "Because I got the cahones to go toe to toe with internet thugs like you." ROTFLMAO!!!! In your dreams you have the cahones to talk mess because you are not face to face with the people whom you denigrate with your malicious personal attacks. Typically such people as yourself are freakin' wimps in real life, and only have "courage" when they can hide in the ether. Again Peter Meisner what is your expertise that allows you to denigrate scientists like myself who have spent their lives promoting wise environmental stewardship???? I'll be visiting Dr. Opler in Colorado this year and perhaps we can visit and discuss the accuracy of your attacks. What is your address? And again what is your expertise that gives you the ammunition to shoot at those with whom you disagree?
(my red highlight) if you are curious about the context leading up to my remark link to: http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=404445#p404445 =============================================================== Steele ignored the fact that my intellectual ammunition is the copious links to authoritative sources that I share to support my various claims {something he does in a very sparing manner}. Steele seems to think ignoring it makes it go away. Not a particularly ethical approach. Worse Steele seems to believe he himself does have the right to viciously denigrate accomplished and respected scientists right and left. Add to that believing that it's OK to willfully misrepresent scientific facts and evidence. And now this favored denialist tactic, I denounce claims made by Steele and he morhps it into perceived personal attacks and things escalate into the sublimely ridiculous, as though we were a couple roosters at a Friday night skid row bar. Admittedly "thugs" is not a nice word, {though the record at SkepticForum reveals he's called me worse things}, but then consider the malicious talk that inspired such language on my part: charlatans rabid CO2 advocate slightly schizophrenic reduced Nature Journal to a conspiratorial "advocacy journal" That's Jim Steele from just one article, and lately the man seems to have gone into overdrive ...
Either a liar or seriously misinformed The latter may be hard to believe, but trust me, I have met such people.