Which Movies Should Get Remakes (If Any)?

Yeah, I know some people are fed up with Hollywood remakes. But anyway…
I’d love to see a remake of The Black Hole. The original had some great ideas, lots of cool special effects, a brilliant score by John Barry, and I for one loved the ambiguous, 2001-esque, psychedelic ending. Unfortunately, the dialogue and delivery of said dialogue was mostly abysmal. But with a good director and actors, and today’s special effects, I think the remake could be a masterpiece.
Also, Logan’s Run. A great sci-fi movie in its own right, despite some obvious use of miniatures and being a bit dated in general. I think this movie is ripe for a remake.
And I know this is going to be sheer blasphemy to many here, but how about a remake of 2001: A Space Odyssey–which could then pave the way for adaptations of Arthur C. Clarke’s sequel novels? The 2001 remake could be largely a shot-by-shot emulation of the original utilizing the same music*, but with a faster pace and the addition of scenes from the novel that were not in the movie. It could also do a better narrative job than the original, which is hard to make sense of if one hasn’t read the novel. They might have to change the title though. I’d simply call it : A Space Odyssey, followed by : A Space Odyssey II, leaving specific dates vague for the first two. Then would come 2061: A Space Odyssey III (since the return of Halley’s Comet plays a major role in that novel), and 3001: A Space Odyssey IV.
*Hey, it worked with Psycho didn’t it? Oh, yeah. That’s right. Everyone (but me) hated that shot-by-shot remake.
Any thoughts?

I haven’t bothered going to movies since I’ve been by myself, and I think you may have addressed this.
I hate it when a superb movie which made a great deal of money is then re-made in twenty or so years, hoping to cash in on it’s prior success. Every one of them I’ve seen is a really poor, badly made, with miscast actors, version of the original. And they never do well.
The problem is that so many people just want to be imitators rather than creators. There are thousands of movies that have been made over the last century that may have had a decent idea but with bad dialogue, bad writing, bad directing, poor actors, etc. How about taking one of them as the basis, but do a much better job of making it? But no, if it failed the first time, those involved can’t think for themselves but rather are sure it must always fail, improvement is impossible. :snake:
Occam

I would accept a remake a of Logan’s Run. But I’m sure they would botch it. They would never get the right feeling, like the original had.
Black Hole would be a worthwhile attempt. That would be possible with good odds of a good movie.
But a remake of 2001! Blasphemy!!!
If I remember correctly, Black Hole was Disney’s first rated PG flick. Saw it at the movies.

I don’t think any movies should be remade. If a movie was originally successful enough, sequels can be made - if you want to explore that territory more deeply.
A recent example is the remake of “Robocop”. The remake is different enough plot-wise to be an interesting new movie altogether. The concept of robocop is barely necessary for the plot to work.

Also, Logan's Run. A great sci-fi movie in its ownright, despite some obvious use of miniatures and being a bit dated in general. I think this movie is ripe for a remake.
Such a coincidence. A week ago I looked Logan's run (again). But there is of course already a kind of remake: The Island].
It is described as a pastiche of "escape-from-dystopia" science fiction films of the 1960s and 1970s such as Fahrenheit 451, THX 1138, Parts: The Clonus Horror, and Logan's Run. The film's plot revolves around the struggle of Ewan McGregor's character to fit into the highly structured world he lives in, isolated in a compound, and the series of events that unfold when he questions how truthful that world really is. After he learns that the compound inhabitants are clones who are used for organ harvesting and surrogate motherhood for wealthy people in the outside world, he escapes.
At least I had a strong 'deja-vú' experience when I saw 'The Island'.

First of all just stop. Remake 2001? Just stop it ok.
I think there have been many great remakes, if what we mean is, to take the spirit and rough plot of the original and make an updated version of it. You’ve Got Mail, The In-laws, Ocean’s Eleven, are just a couple that come to mind. OTOH there are some movies that are works of art in an of themselves, and it’d be sacrilege to make a direct remake. 12 Angry Men, It’s a Wonderful Life, 2001 (!!) :slight_smile:
One movie I think would work as a remake is Fail-Safe. Is was a serious counterpart (and prior to I believe) to Dr. Strangelove, and was completely overshadowed by it. Great movie though that could stand a redo.

There are thousands of movies that have been made over the last century that may have had a decent idea but with bad dialogue, bad writing, bad directing, poor actors, etc. How about taking one of them as the basis, but do a much better job of making it?
The Black Hole it is then... Can't wait!
Also, Logan's Run. A great sci-fi movie in its ownright, despite some obvious use of miniatures and being a bit dated in general. I think this movie is ripe for a remake.
Such a coincidence. A week ago I looked Logan's run (again). But there is of course already a kind of remake: The Island].
It is described as a pastiche of "escape-from-dystopia" science fiction films of the 1960s and 1970s such as Fahrenheit 451, THX 1138, Parts: The Clonus Horror, and Logan's Run. The film's plot revolves around the struggle of Ewan McGregor's character to fit into the highly structured world he lives in, isolated in a compound, and the series of events that unfold when he questions how truthful that world really is. After he learns that the compound inhabitants are clones who are used for organ harvesting and surrogate motherhood for wealthy people in the outside world, he escapes.
At least I had a strong 'deja-vú' experience when I saw 'The Island'. I had the same thought when I sawThe Island. And despite being directed by someone who is rapidly becoming one of the worst directors of all time*, I actually thought the first 45 minutes or so were top-notch science fiction. It then devolved into a bunch of explosions and fights. I guess the story part was over at that point. Still, not an overall bad movie. *I actually liked some of Bay's earlier films in a popcorn fun sort of way. Movies like The Rock and Armageddon were good summer fun, Bad Boys was a solid--albeit formulaic--buddy cop comedy, and I even quite liked the first Transformers for the most part. But Bay's Transformers sequels were some of the few movies I've ever attempted where I truly could not make it past the twenty minute mark.

The Producers with Zero Mostel And The Inlaws with Peter Falk were excellent pictures. Then, when remade the new versions didn’t work.
Can you imagine how weak a remake of Blazing Saddles would be?
Occam

Both Logan’s Run and The Black Hole remakes are in development. No idea if either of them will actually see the light of day or not, however. I would like to see a remake of Fritz Lang’s Metropolis to coincide with the centenary of its original release in 2019. Blue Thunder seems ripe for a remake as well.

The Producers with Zero Mostel And The Inlaws with Peter Falk were excellent pictures. Then, when remade the new versions didn't work. Can you imagine how weak a remake of Blazing Saddles would be? Occam
Which just goes to show how completely subjective all this is. The remake of In-Laws with Michael Douglas and Albert Brooks was fabulous and way better than the original (which was good too). I mean the hot tub scene was just a hoot.

This wouldn’t be a remake, but I’d love to see Isaac Asimov’s Robot, Empire, and Foundation novels made into movies (I, Robot doesn’t count, although it was a pretty good flick that did actually explore some of the themes of Asimov’s Robot novels). Actually, I think they might be better served as an HBO series. Space opera is one of the few genres premium channels have yet to explore with an original series.
The Robot novels could be kind of like True Detective, but in space and with less sex; The Empire novels could be kind of like Deadwood, but in space and with less cussing; and the Foundation novels could be kind of like Game of Thrones–with bits of Boardwalk Empire and The Sopranos thrown in–but in space. And with less sex, cussing, and spontaneous violence.
Seriously though, as dialogue-heavy as most of these particular Asimov novels are, I fear HBO might use a lot of “sexposition” to keep things interesting for today’s audience. Which would feel kind of weird in the Asimoverse… :slight_smile:

Most remakes/reboots I haven’t liked, preferring the originals, so I don’t know which ones should get a remake, if any.
I’ll take that back. I do like Cosmos, with Neil de Grasse Tyson, but that wasn’t so much of a remake as it was an update of info. I think that makes a huge difference.

The Day of the Triffids

The Killer Shrews.
Cap’t Jack

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Watched it once in Saudi Arabia. When time came to decide which videos to get rid of, I didnt think twice about this one.