Where does math fit into life?

But that would require God-like omniscience and humans have yet a lot to learn about the universe, which proves humans aren’t Gods.

Our modelling of what might prove to be a form of intelligence may teach us a lot. There IS NO MAGIC and if there is no magic we might be able to discover how it all works.

That is Max Tegmark’s hypothesis. If the Universe is based on mathematical logic, it must be discoverable. He believes that whatever information is missing it will be of a mathematical nature.

And that is an entirely reasonable proposition. THERE IS NO MAGIC!

That’s funny. Looking at all the hubris that’s on full display these days puts a lie to that sobering suggestion.

Like what?

How has this math is everything obsession going to help with understanding we humans?

We KNOW how to do math. We can speak the language of the universe which means we should be able to figure it out. How it began and how it all works is not a secret, it is not some “hidden” property of the universe. It is just unknown.

There was a time we thought the earth was flat , but now we KNOW it is round.
Perhaps birds are the only other life that knows the earth is round. Maybe some insects?

p.s. I believe it is a little unfair to label the use of mathematics as “obsessive”.

When we speak of life we don’t call that obsessive. The fact is that you cannot avoid mentioning these terms when you speak of origins or universal properties.

The universe is a spacetime “geometry”, a mathematical object.

When every conversation gets sucked right back into this math as god, oops math as Everything and that it’s all there is

While our human experience gets no examination, why shouldn’t I get irritated, then depressed? It’s like we’re reduced to automatons. Which is actually the way most people act and think, and that makes me even sadder. Then the wave of utter hopelessness comes rushing in (and reinforced by current events and global news.

That’s not fair. A mathematical Universe deserves its own thread.

I hear no complaints about a religious thread talking about God.

Is it not the intent of a forum to have subfora about many different subjects?