What's the difference between...

What’s the difference between my finger and the air next to it?

If we were to look at a small enough scale, the atoms of my finger would be indistinguishable from the atoms in the air next to it. And really given current knowledge that atoms and their electron clouds are mostly space, what’s the difference? What makes my finger a finger shaped thing different from say the table I touch, or the air next to it?

[quote=“cuthbertj, post:1, topic:7723, full:true”]
What’s the difference between my finger and the air next to it?

Density! Your finger is denser than air

If we were to look at a small enough scale, the atoms of my finger would be indistinguishable from the atoms in the air next to it. And really given current knowledge that atoms and their electron clouds are mostly space, what’s the difference? What makes my finger a finger shaped thing different from say the table I touch, or the air next to it?

Molecular pattern densities ranging from fluid gases to fluid liquids to solid crystal minerals.

That is true but that is not the reality we live in. Humans can only observe a very small portion of the total range of pattern densities.

Consider that a large collection of H2O molecules has several different states of existence in nature, that we can actually observe and copy for our own uses.

In the normal temperature range of humans this number of H2O molecules becomes fluid with an emergent property of “wetness”

The same number of H2O molecules exposed to 0 C and lower becomes a solid with an emergent property of crystallization

And the same number of H2O at higher than 100 C becomes a gas with a fluid property but not an emergent property of “wetness”.

Each state is determined by the number and density of the self-organizing mathematical patterns of H2O.

The solid/liquid/vapour triple point of liquid water, ice Ih and water vapor in the lower left portion of a water phase diagram.

Good info but that just pushes things back a little. What makes this little bit of density different from this other little bit of slightly different density? What makes my finger not the table I’m touching?

The pattern the molecules are arranged in. This is why there is a scientific term;
“density pattern”.

What is the difference between density and pattern?

Concentration is the spread of objects in a given area, density is the frequency of objects in a given area, and pattern is the arrangement of objects in a given area.

When you pull your finger out of your ass, even if it might look clean when wipe it with a tissue, the air next to it will still smell like shit. :shushing_face: