What was your first car and what was the best car you had?

Let’s get back to the basics of life. Transportation and the first and best car you ever owned.
I’ve always had fond memories of the two cars that I will always remember. The first one I never really learned to appreciate, but the best one I loved like my own child. I wish I still had it here, but time passes on all we loose things that many times we have to give up what we love.
My first car was a 1967 Barracuda.
]
My dad bought it for me when I was about 17. He was into cars and called the thing a classic. I really didn’t care about such things. A car was a car to me. It got me back and worth to where I wanted to go, and that was about it. I still hold those views today. Material things are what they are. I don’t get impressed by the sell phone you can do 1000 things with. If I want a phone, I want a phone. I don’t need to detect DNA with the thing. I found out, with the Swiss army hnife just how useless a multi-tasking toll is and I don’t need to purchase something that brings me frustration. Live gives me too much of that already.
As for my car, the thing ended up hitting a wall about 20 miles an hour when a friend of my brothers couldn’t find the break in time. I never saw him again and the thing went to the scrap yard from there. I never really liked the thing and my dad had left the family right after he got me the thing. When he came back, it was already gone and a few months later I was gone myself.
The car that I loved the best was a 1964 oldsmobile f85
]
I loved that car as much as I could ever love an inanimate object. It was short and sweet and it was just the right size. I am 5’5" and did weight about 95 lbs soaking wet with a rock inh my pocket. This was the first car I had that I didn’t think it necessary to tie a rope to my leg, so if I got into a wreak, they could find me.
I took great pride in that thing till the transmission decided it didn’t want to come along for the ride. I was into drugs and alcohol at that time and my priorities had changed drastically because of it. I lost a lot because of those two substances, but I have only myself to blame for that. The car ended up being towed to the junk yard and I got about 20 bucks for the whole bthing. I drank that up and didn’t think a thing about it at the time.

Both are awesome cars.
My first car was a 1986 Pontiac Grand Am. It did what it needed to.
So far, I haven’t really had a vehicle that I would consider the best. All the cars I’ve owned have been OK. Fortunately, I know about cars so I generally won’t make bad decisions when buying one.

That Barracuda is a dream car of mine. I’m a big Mopar fan.
My first car was a 1969 Dart. Only a Slant 6. I finally killed the thing when I was bragging to my high school chum that the Slant 6
was indestructible.
I proceeded to prove this by driving it around the block with the oil pan drain plug removed during the oil change I was in the middle of.
The knocking and rattling made my heart sink, but she made it around the block. I put the new oil back in it and hoped that would quiet
her back down. It helped a little.
The car lasted another 3 weeks. The compression slowly got worse and worse until it would only go 30 miles an hour with the pedal floored.
It was a rusty old Dart. I always got classic Dodges and Plymouths after that.

That Barracuda is a dream car of mine. I'm a big Mopar fan. My first car was a 1969 Dart. Only a Slant 6. I finally killed the thing when I was bragging to my high school chum that the Slant 6 was indestructible. I proceeded to prove this by driving it around the block with the oil pan drain plug removed during the oil change I was in the middle of. The knocking and rattling made my heart sink, but she made it around the block. I put the new oil back in it and hoped that would quiet her back down. It helped a little. The car lasted another 3 weeks. The compression slowly got worse and worse until it would only go 30 miles an hour with the pedal floored. It was a rusty old Dart. I always got classic Dodges and Plymouths after that.
Slant 6's are practically indestructible, though. If only you didn't drive it without oil, you would still have it today! :shut:
Slant 6's are practically indestructible, though. If only you didn't drive it without oil, you would still have it today! :shut:
Yeah. I had 2 more Darts after that one. One another junker(Slant 6), the other a 318 Swinger. I wish I still had that first Dart Mid A, but like I said it was rusted out pretty bad. Almost 20 Western NY Winters. Lot of salt! Those Pontiac Grand Ams were pretty stodgy too. They tended to last along time.

1969 volvo s122. I loved that car. I had an RX7 I used to tool around in, but it is a terrible inconvenience when you have children.

For about a year, while in Europe while I was in the Army, I drove a very, very cheap Pugeot. I forget the model number. It was very cheap, not too safe feeling, but it worked and it never broke down on me, although perhaps it might have given more time. But, my first car was probably my worst. It was a Ford Tempo. Also cheap, and I drove it into the ground because, being young, and like others here (apparently) I thought of the car as a tool to be used and not much more. I drove it for at least a year without a working speedometer, and the final straw was having the engine begin pouring out smoke while on the way to a gig. Turns out, a cylinder was cracked.
My best car is what I own now: a Toyota Prius. Easy to drive, dependable (so far) and the most expensive car I’ve ever owned (bought used).

Man, you guys had some kickin’ muscle cars for your first wheels. Mine was a 1960 studebaker Lark. I bought it for $100.00 in 67’ and it already had 80,000 miles on it. It was a former company car so it had been driven hard. I drove it till the transmission fell out after 150,000 miles then bought a 67’ VW bug. One of the best cars I ever owned, fuel efficient, easy maintenance, rugged and dependable. It got me through college and then some. After we were married we bought a hippymobile VW bus and followed the folk festivals for a while. That one I’d like to own again. Damn good times.
Cap’t Jack

My first vehicle was a 1956 Ford F500 two ton truck. I sold hay and firewood as a high school kid. (Didn’t date much).
I’d have trouble naming the best car, it depends on what I needed it for. I’m running a 1977 F250 and a 08 Honda Fit. They’re both good vehicles. I’d hate to give up either one of them, each does what the other can’t.

My first car was a 1965 Ford Galaxy 500. It was an absolute POS.
My best car is the one my wife now drives: a 2012 Mini Cooper S Convertible. I traded my VW Golf GTI for a Ford F150 Ecoboost two years ago and it is a great truck. Gets 24 mpg on the highway and is very comfortable. But the car I miss most is my 1967 GTO.
I could write a 1,000 word essay on the motorcycles I’ve owned over the years.

For about a year, while in Europe while I was in the Army, I drove a very, very cheap Pugeot. I forget the model number. It was very cheap, not too safe feeling, but it worked and it never broke down on me, although perhaps it might have given more time.
Did you drive it a lot?

My first car I shared with my ex-husband (except he was my husband at the time, of course). He bought some boat called an LTD or something like that. The best car I ever had is between the 20+ year old Buick Skylark I inherited from my grandparents via my mother and my Toyota Tercel 4-speed. I loved the old Buick they got in the 70s and she ran like a dream until the head gasket blew sometime in the 90s. My mother got it from them shortly after I moved out and then after my divorce, my mother gave it to me. The Tercel was my first all manual car, right down to the steering, and I just loved it because I felt like I had full control of the car, unlike my grandparents all automatic and power steering car. When the power steering went out on my grandparents’ car, there was nothing you could do, but with the manual car, you could still steer. So there were advantages and disadvantages to both, but for some reason, I loved them both and both cars were all mine, right down to the title. However, the old Buick might have been better to try and teach my sons how to drive, if it had still existed by that time. My older son just couldn’t shift and drive without clipping mail boxes and confused the clutch with the break, but when he got in my friend’s husband’s car, which was an automatic, all he did was clip mailboxes. Incidentally, he even freaked out my friend’s husband too (I thought a man could handle teaching someone how to drive) and to this day at age 24 my older son still doesn’t have his driver’s license yet. My younger son, age 22 now, doesn’t either, but that’s long story as to why. Doesn’t help that he took his friend’s car when he was approximately 18 y.o., without permission and without a driver’s license and then when he hit someone, due to not stopping at a stop sign, he fled the scene, because, according to him, he was high on marijuana and was afraid he’d be in more trouble for being high, not understanding that a DUI carries a lesser charge than fleeing the scene. The only thing he said about it was, “You were right, Mama, weed does slow down your reactions” of which he didn’t believe I knew anything about it, because I’ve never done it. I don’t think it takes a genius to figure out that if your that relaxed you may be a little slow in reacting to something, esp if you don’t have any experience with what you’re doing.

My first car was a 1968 AMC Javelin. Kind of a cool car for a high school kid even though it was old when I got it. My best car? I’ll let you know when I get it. I’ve been driving minivans for the past quarter century. Having kids doesn’t encourage the ownership of cool cars.

For about a year, while in Europe while I was in the Army, I drove a very, very cheap Pugeot. I forget the model number. It was very cheap, not too safe feeling, but it worked and it never broke down on me, although perhaps it might have given more time.
Did you drive it a lot? Maybe 20-40 miles per week.

My first car was a 1981 Pontiac J2000. It was a loud, rusted out pile of crap. The front end was shot, the tranny was shot, the accelerator stuck occasionally, and the exhaust fell off at one point. All of it. From muffler to manifold. But I bought it for $1 and it made it all the way through my junior year of high school and a little further so I got my money out of it.
And I’ve yet to own a car that I could really call great. The best, of the rather mediocre bunch, is my current 2002 Ford Taurus.

My first car was a 1972 Fiat Spyder. Fortunately, my folks took care of maintenance and repairs. :slight_smile:
Take care,
Derek

1959 Pontiac Bonneville, but it was 1971
and the thing burned nearly as much oil as gas.
Bought the paraffin based oil by the gallon jug.
And it felt like a freak’n ship to drive.
But, thems the cars kids could still work on, and sort of keep going.
Didn’t last that long.
My next one was another 59, but this time a Rambler Station Wagon with the push button gear shifting.
And this one ran well.
Looked like a joke, but the beauty was that front and back seats totally reclined - perfect for camping.
My first solo trip to Yosemite was in that vehicle… aah I had all sorts of dreams of where that gal and me would go.
But, before I knew it some drunk lost control of his vehicle and totaled my Rambler while it was parked outside a store I was in.
Big bummer. I really think we’d have seen some great road trips together.