What should the Democratic Party actually do to win back American voters?

You’re kidding right? Talk about Pollyanna. Half the country voted for a person who quite literally could not form a complete sentence. And you want to provide a way for them to join some grand discussion of ideas, and mutual respect, and what? have some kind of democracy kumbaya? Please.

1 Like

Nope. Pollyannish would be insisting that principles of truth and honesty and fact based debates will infuse all the people.

I’m simply stating a political fact - we will only hasten our self destruction by continuing to embrace, ‘if I believe it hard enough, it’s gotta be true’, no matter how disconnected from Earth’s physical reality.

A Democratic Discussion Forum is a political thing that could save the Democratic Party from itself.
It’s about the only hope of actually engaging and reconnecting concerned people and becoming a powerful political movement - of course, perhaps there really are only a couple dozen of us left in this country, and the rest have fully embraced cynicism and disconnecting from reality and climbing inside their egotistical little heads - but I can’t believe that.

So how would one go about finding those few brave souls and helping them connect so they realize they aren’t totally alone and isolated from other rationalists who care about constructive engaging with our problems?

And lordie knows the Democrats need some radical reengagement if they aren’t going to keep losing.
That sort of reinvigoration of the Democratic Party’s Grassroots, could make a big difference in the upcoming election. No Pollyanna there either, simply human dynamics and the math of winning.

Besides I’m also looking to the long game, after all you know this Anthropogenic Global Warming will increasingly batter our global infrastructure, causing failures that will increasingly rob the masses of the supply chains we depend on. Then the mass dying will start and continue and continue.

Will it wipe out the entire human race? Given a century, it’s more likely than not.

However, it ain’t over, till it’s over,
and there will be pockets where survival will be possible - but that survival will only be possible for those who truly appreciate Earth and her biosphere for what it is and not what the masses of fanciful delusionals want it to be.

Only people with a sober appreciation for Physical Reality and Earth systems will have any chance - thus why not a call, loud and clear for an awaken respect for truth, honesty, fact based debate - isn’t about pollyanna, it’s about fundamentals and some basic requirements for constructive existence.

Biden has problems but he ain’t that bad.

There are many kinds of idealists, and different ways of classifying them.
For instance, the idealists who demand perfection, and are keenly aware of everyone’s hypocrites and foibles. Who is morally and emotionally outraged and declares themselves above the dirty rotten mess, I’m too good to bother voting and all that.

There’s another kind of idealist,
One believes in putting out the ideal, that is our goal, get as close to it as possible. Of course, we fall short, but we keep trying, we keep declaring the dream worth pursuing. What’s the dude that turns all sullen, withdraws, or seeks vandalism. So the powers that be can really come down hard. Like we never learned anything …….

Today We The People really have the legal ability to vote and impact the direction,
DEMOCRACY USE IT OR LOSE IT ! It’s not just a slogan, it’s what it is. So this kind of idealists does the best with what they got.

What does the Republican abeyance to Trump and the billionaire overlords who’ve learned to use him so well, have to offer to your “ideals” ???

And the realists have seen this movie before with the corporate Democrats pretending they care and end up doing nothing. Cancel MLK day until voter rights are passed? Now there’s a good thought !

Yes they have you silly goose - that is exactly why the Grassroots needs to wake up, get better informed and engage. Get strong and demand better!

And if they don’t, that will be America’s loss. And yes, we have suffered many of those.

Not with such corrupt leaders and politics in place that ensure grassroots activism never has a voice. When are you going to realise that the Democratic Party is not a working class party?

Dear triplex69, when are you going to realize our form of government only has two viable political parties?

Life is life and we need to work with the cards we get. If you don’t like who’s running our government try harder to change it a little. That’s what this up coming election is going to decide. I’d rather have — , than outright ruthless malicious totalitarians that want to inflict pain on their enemies. This isn’t a pretty little class room debate, this is real life and our society today is an example of a lot bad decisions, perfection ain’t going to be found anywhere you naive character.

Just hanging out to piss and moan about isn’t helping anything!

It’s like wanting to destroy our government because shitty people have take over power. I makes more sense to me, to try harder to get as many of those extremists and other failures out of there.

So the Bernie supporters should have tried harder in 2016 and 2020? We won’t talk about the corrupt undemocratic election system designed to ensure the ruling class have the power, the corporate media in lock step to defeat the movement by either not providing any air time to promote what was being demanded or pushing forward right wing talking points from corporate democrat hacks and right wing pundits without challenge !!! Because that would be too inconvenient to your individual responsibility narrative of “ just try harder”

Why so vague on “try harder”? Why stop at just “a little”? Are you a centrist yet claim you know the dire situation the world is in?

Try harder - to what ends?? To achieve what ? Speak up man. To Seize the means of production distribution and exchange? To establish a planned economy? To democratise the workplace? Specifics would be nice not empty rhetoric

Yes. Yes they would be

US politics has moved beyond working class issues. Actually, the working class doesn’t even exist anymore.

That’s what the ruling class say

Hard to get more specific than: A healthy Democracy demands an informed and engaged electorate.

Most our citizens seem to live in a Hollywood inspired world of over expectations and complacent sense of entitlement. Last thing they want is sober facts, and rationally thinking through consequences,… such as those surrounding climate change because it crimps their Hollywood Dreaming. So that is exactly what needs working on. Nothing like participation, for helping encourage a desire to get engaged

Still we wind up at the same dead-end

A healthy Democracy requires an informed and engaged electorate.

The continued miserable participation around this CFI is a bad omen of the continued apathy among too many Americans.

Still the Democratic Party is the only game in town, except for burning it all down. So, like all things it must begin with small steps - Set up a specific Democratic Party Discussion Forum, seems like a constructive first step.

What do you suggest, voting for Bernie?

Agreed

I thought my comment might be confusing, but it was directed to triplex. The guy who asks for specifics but doesn’t supply them. Occasionally he’ll provide something, but then get his feelings hurt if there is any discussion about it. And, when he doesn’t have anything, just posts that the Democrats aren’t doing anything.

Sorry Lausten, lifted your quote, but my comment is definitely directed towards 69.

Lausten, I suspect you understand exactly what I’m trying to point out, even if you might not agree with all of it.

A healthy Democracy requires an informed and engaged electorate to do what exactly?

Seriously?
Knowledge is Power.
Forewarned is forearmed, and all that.
Better understanding of choices and options.
Awareness driving engagement, which drives constructive solutions.

Networking creating community and energizing sleepy heads into action and participation.

What are you offering 69, running around and pooping on everything and everyone???

[Opinion | Jimmy Carter: I Fear for Our Democracy - The New York Times]

A few words, to say much !

First, while citizens can disagree on policies, people of all political stripes must agree on fundamental constitutional principles and norms of fairness, civility and respect for the rule of law. Citizens should be able to participate easily in transparent, safe and secure electoral processes. Claims of election irregularities should be submitted in good faith for adjudication by the courts, with all participants agreeing to accept the findings. And the election process should be conducted peacefully, free of intimidation and violence.

Second, we must push for reforms that ensure the security and accessibility of our elections and ensure public confidence in the accuracy of results. Phony claims of illegal voting and pointless multiple audits only detract from democratic ideals.

Third, we must resist the polarization that is reshaping our identities around politics. We must focus on a few core truths: that we are all human, we are all Americans and we have common hopes for our communities and our country to thrive. We must find ways to re-engage across the divide, respectfully and constructively, by holding civil conversations with family, friends and co-workers and standing up collectively to the forces dividing us.

Fourth, violence has no place in our politics, and we must act urgently to pass or strengthen laws to reverse the trends of character assassination, intimidation and the presence of armed militias at events. We must protect our election officials — who are trusted friends and neighbors of many of us — from threats to their safety. Law enforcement must have the power to address these issues and engage in a national effort to come to terms with the past and present of racial injustice.

Lastly, the spread of disinformation, especially on social media, must be addressed. We must reform these platforms and get in the habit of seeking out accurate information. Corporate America and religious communities should encourage respect for democratic norms, participation in elections and efforts to counter disinformation.

Our great nation now teeters on the brink of a widening abyss. Without immediate action, we are at genuine risk of civil conflict and losing our precious democracy. Americans must set aside differences and work together before it is too late.

President Jimmy Carter (Jan. 5, 2022)

Either he is not serious or doesn’t how to be. Either he thinks deeply on these topics and is troubled by them, or his thinking is shallow and he only knows how to disrupt, contradict, and challenge. I really can’t say for sure, but the results are the same.