What is the meaning of life? really

Hi

I’ve read a few of Richard Dawkins books and and listened to the odd lecture.

I keep having to remind myself about what is the meaning of life - I need to know - I mean according to Darwinism or Richard Dawkins - what is the meaning of life?

Which is a good book on the subject? especially written by Richard?

Thanks everyone
Matthew

Actually I’ve just found a perspective from Richard but would still appreciate anyone’s view on the subject please

Richard Dawkins: Meaning of Life

The master asks his disciple:
“What is Zen?”

The disciple meditates for a long time and returns to the master:
“Zen is Zen!”

The master gives him a pat on the back of the head:
" Talkative ! "

You substitute life to Zen and you have my answer. Whys life should have a meaning ?

In fact, for everyone of us, life has the meaning we give it.

Each of us is a unique combination of experiences so we have to answer that for ourselves.
Nick Cave on Creativity, the Myth of Originality, and How to Find Your Voice – The Marginalian
“Nothing you create is ultimately your own, yet all of it is you. Your imagination, it seems to me, is mostly an accidental dance between collected memory and influence, and is not intrinsic to you, rather it is a construction that awaits spiritual ignition.”

From Dawkins. You might like this.
Unweaving the Rainbow by Richard Dawkins (goodreads.com)

“Sense and Goodness Without God” is one of the rare books on a secular philosophy of life.
Books by Richard Carrier, Ph.D.

Wow! I never thought that you would pick an older book of Dawkins:
Unweaving the Rainbow by Richard Dawkins (goodreads.com

This is a book which I thought would have less answers on the meaning of life than say The Selfish Gene or The God Delusion, but I will check it out as I need to be sure this book covers the question the best :slight_smile:

I’ll have to ponder this before making the purchase.

It might be more about wonder and science appreciation than it is about meaning, but wonder is where i get meaning, so it works for me

1 Like

Q: What is Life?

A: Life is like a deep dark well!

Q: Life is like a deep dark well?

A (deep voice): Well, isn’t it?

Well I still can’t decide on the next book to get to help me get my head around this question!!!

Hi again

I’ve just found this book - does anyone know if this one will help to satisfy my curiousity about the meaning of life please

Amazon.com: The Big Picture: On the Origins of Life, Meaning, and the Universe Itself (Audible Audio Edition): Sean Carroll, Sean Carroll, Penguin Audio: Audible Books & Originals

No, but I have a link to Sean Carrol speaking in my Varities of Religious Experiences thread. He’s good.

Try this excellent lecture.

But I have a follow up to the question of gravity in an accelerating universe.

Does antigravity really exist?

Yes, there is more anti-gravity in the universe than anything else, more commonly known as Dark Energy, it pushes galaxies apart and is devoid of matter. Gravity pulls the matter together within the galaxies. So it is unlikely that you can harvest antigravity or dark energy or anti-gravity as you could also call it. So what is Dark Energy?

Can antigravity be created, or does it exist?

Yes, in a way. It is called acceleration. If you are in a falling elevator car, the acceleration will cancel the gravity and you will float in the car as if you were in deep space.

Why we float in space? Its not because there is no gravity - its because you are in a vacuum. On the moon for example, the strength of the gravity from Earth is as strong as sea level on earth - a lot of people think that you float because you are too far from Earth - not true according to Magic of Reality. Apparently the moon is falling around the Earth with the help of the Earth’s gravity - I suppose that if you were to replace the vacuum between the Earth and the moon with oxygen then the moon would come crashing towards the Earth similar to what a meteor.

Back to The Big Picture and the meaning of Life by Sean Carroll - I’ve just found a 15 minute summary on Spotify so I’m going to listen to this now on my morning walk :slight_smile:

Hmm so where I’m at - the meaning of life is erm… there is no meaning!!! Or to be more precise… there is no meaning given to us at birth for example by some higher power. We have to find our own meaning.

2 Likes

And that will become an expression of choice and (perhaps) free will.

Is to find your purpose in life we have wood builders, cookers, and writters were all on the purpose but you find your and God gave it to you wihtout you knowing it here look here.

Proverbs 3:5-6

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.

Be happy and find hapiness in life is your purpose in what you do !

What you said made no sense, but if you’re attempting to convert people, that won’t help anything. It often makes things worse.

I don’t think anyone has ever come back reformed, but I still think they deserve a chance

You do not need to believe in a God to put that into practice.

In no way i’m trying to convert people gave the boy to find his happiness that’s all.

Yes I honestly welcome every viewpoint - as long as its not pushy or offensive then we’re all good.

And I think you helped me find some happiness there so mission accomplished - I even learn from the replies give as well :smiley:

1 Like