What is fear?

I’ve talked about almost everything from love, hate and everything that is in between, but what about fear, what I think is the engine that drives so many people to do so many inhuman acts upon each other.
What exactly is fear? Is it worry? is it anxiety? Is it despair or are those the reactions that come from fear itself?
How can we adequately deal with fear and if we can tame that, can we eliminate much of the worlds social ills?

I remember talking about this on another thread , where someone brought up that there was two types of fear, Running fear and fighting fear. The one thing I was wanting to talk about is how we could contract this.
Heck when we were young our fears were supposed to be assuaged by our parents, but it seems with their own systems of beliefs they have ham stringed themselves, so that they are totally unable to be objective. This is the legacy of religion.

I’m having a hard time defining fear. But for me at least, fear seems to be the conscious recognition that I am in danger. (whether emotional, physical) It’s also the following alert that arises from acknowledging that there is a risk in the present moment or the future. It tends to also be the acknowledgement that the coming event is capable of defeating me physically, emotionally or otherwise. It’s a comparison between my limitations as I see them, and the limitations of life as I interpret them. This is a difficult question.

I don’t see it as a difficult question, C.E. since you’ve done a very decent job of defining it. :slight_smile:
Occam

Another fear we deal with are the things we don’t know or understand. I think much of racism is based in fear. It is a fear I have over come from walking a tough road.
I spent 3 years in prison being housed with many races, cultures and religions. I chose to use that time as a learning tool as opposed to staying only in white groups. I maintained a neutral status. I was open to anyone and I carried my self in that fashion. Without turning this into a novel, I’ll say it was one of the best learning experience’s I’ve ever had.
There are fears that aren’t natural reactions, there are many that are taught.

I'm having a hard time defining fear. But for me at least, fear seems to be the conscious recognition that I am in danger. (whether emotional, physical) It's also the following alert that arises from acknowledging that there is a risk in the present moment or the future. It tends to also be the acknowledgement that the coming event is capable of defeating me physically, emotionally or otherwise. It's a comparison between my limitations as I see them, and the limitations of life as I interpret them. This is a difficult question.
I don't see it as a difficult question, C.E. since you've done a very decent job of defining it. :) Occam
Yup. I did some trawling and found this interesting little talk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA8aGbq3sJU I know I've posted about the guidance a healthy sense of 'fear' can serve when dealing with life and staying safe. But, not sure that I've ever brought up driving over mountain passes with a gal that was 'phobic' of precipices and such… The drive was shear terror for her. Yet, she willingly subjects herself to that inner terror, repeatedly. Put a whole new dimension on the matter of fear and phobias and what inner strength was all about.
There are fears that aren't natural reactions, there are many that are taught.
sure. … and then, we are also taught how to deal with our fears. well and also ... What to swallow, and what to get enraged about...