What about the backend of AI

Ran into this little tidbit about the whole AI question, along with my general befuddlement with modern society, and especially the part where people actually believe all this stuff we consume, literally acquire only to toss out as soon as possible for something news, bigger, better, . . .

It’s late and I should actually be sleeping, but sometimes gotta burn the candle at both ends. First little G starting around 5am, weather was nice in the afternoon, so little B and I were able to squeeze in at least one walk through the forest and then by and by the little fella didn’t drop off till 11pm. I’m heading back home tomorrow which is Sunday so he had a pass, besides he wanted to hang with me. It was grand reconnecting, 10 months a lot of growing going on. So I’m wondering what the hell gives us the right to so flippantly demolish their shot at a decent life and future. It’s horrendous, but what’s to be done, . . .

This is AI:

Using energy creates CO2, the primary greenhouse gas emitted by humans. In the atmosphere, greenhouse gases like CO2 trap heat near the Earth’s surface, causing the temperature of the Earth to rise and throwing delicate ecosystems off balance.

“We have an energy consumption crisis,” said Gerry McGovern, author of the book World Wide Waste. That doesn’t even touch on the actually material needed to build and populate this infrastructure.

Good question. I spent a little time googling HGI (Human General Intelligence) etc. and most the suggests revolve around AI and its implications. “HGI” as you put it, does seem neglected.

Now, you see, to my way of thinking, that seems a real shame. I mean we’d be way a head of this game if we’d have spent more time learning how to come to grips with ourselves first. But, western society has always had this headlong rush into a materialistic future with its easy disregard for the past, people as well as creations.

1 Like

[quote=“citizenschallengev4, post:1, topic:10100”]
Good question. I spent a little time googling HGI (Human General Intelligence) etc. and most the suggests revolve around AI and its implications. “HGI” as you put it, does seem neglected.

The problem with humans is, we are not programmable for specific tasks like AI is. And as discussed before, AI have a distinct processing speed advantage in certain areas of computing.

This idea of a perfect General Intelligence for humans is unattainable, IMO
Our brains are just not big enough.
But AI filling an assist function can improve our combined intelligence and processing power by several factors.

Now, you see, to my way of thinking, that seems a real shame. I mean we’d be way a head of this game if we’d have spent more time learning how to come to grips with ourselves first. But, western society has always had this headlong rush into a materialistic future with its easy disregard for the past, people as well as creations.

[quote=“citizenschallengev4, post:1, topic:10100”]
Energy consumption of AI poses environmental problems | TechTarget

That does not need to be. Solar power can provide more than enough clean energy if we really set our AI-assisted minds to solving this problem.

I wonder how fractal application in energy harvesting would improve our energy efficiency. Nature uses fractals everywhere and where humans use fractal technology (I-pod antennas), the applications become smaller AND more efficient!

Nature made trees fractal. Why don’t we use fractal solar panels shaped like trees, where each leaf is a mini solar collector because it is the most energy efficient way to harvest solar power.
1 solar tree in the yard could provide enough energy for a small household.
1 solar tree forest could provide enough energy for a town.
Or even better, let’s figure out how trees do it so we can become symbiotic with trees!
(microtubules)?

Natura Artis Magistra
Nature is the teacher of Art and Science, but instead of using the allegory of “Humans are made in the image of Nature”, we are vain enough to posit that Nature (God) is made in the image of man, can you believe it?

I agree about the climate. I hadn’t thought of the energy impacts of Artificial Neural Nets. Thanks for the good point.

I don’t know of any papers using the a term Human General Intelligence HGI. I think that might be because Human Intelligence is assumed to be General. Try looking at Cognitive Science, neurology, and brain science research on intelligence.

Keep in mind that AGI is a much harder problem then what we are calling AI today. It’s a really tuff problem and there aren’t that many researchers brave engulf to go into it. I tried the following:

A Google Scholar search for “artificial general intelligence AGI” kicked back About 38,300 results
A Google Scholar search for “cognitive psychology intelligence” kicked back About 3,450,000 results

What in the world is “Clean Energy”?

How does that accounting work?

For instance you call solar power free,
but there’s nothing free or environmentally neutral
about capturing and producing electricity from that free power source the sun.

I think I’ve mentioned the “progress trap”. The next solution causes the next problem, which is the same old problem. We keep doing that, and don’t work on things like cooperation and caring

1 Like