Well... I'm a latin american follower of Dr. Dawkins theories and teaching. Admire him! but

my english speeching is very poor (sorry about that)
Asi que permitame continuar en mi idioma nativo. El tema es que quiero dejar sentado un reclamo contra la pèsima traduccion que la Sra. Natalia Perez-Galdos hace de la edicion de 2006 de la obra del profesor “The god delusion”
Estoy buscando uan edición en ingles para comprender lo que la Sra. Perez-Galdos traduce como “grua” en forma reiterada cuando el texto se refiere a los procesos de acumulacion que los replicadores convierten en pasos infinitesimales hacia la evolucion.
Francamente pienso que el idioma español ha de tener -con seguridad- mejores formas de interpretar el concepto al que el Dr. Dawkins quiere referirise al usar la palabra ‘crane’ o ‘winch’
Muchas gracias

Bienvenido. Hablo español un poquito. Necesito practicar, pero trataré de traducir lo que dijiste para los demás…

So let me continue in my native language. The issue is that I want to give a counterclaim to the (pèsima) translation that Mrs. Natalia Perez-Galdos makes of the 2006 edition of the Professor’s “The god delusion”

I am looking for an English edition to understand what Ms. Perez-Galdos repeatedly translates as “crane” when the text refers to the accumulation of replicators turn into infinitesimal steps towards evolution. Frankly, I think the Spanish language has better ways to interpret the concept which Dr. Dawkins wants to refer to when using the word ‘crane’ or ‘winch’ Thank you very much.

That was work, but I think I did it or conveyed the ideas. Winch is like a “witch” or the “b word”, but a little nicer. Como se dice… es más agradable que “perra”, pero ‘winch’ no es agradable. “Winch” es mas o menos agradable que “b word (perra)”. ¿Eso ayuda?

Thank you a lot @mriana… You’re so nice!
And you did a big work translating mi idea.
About the word “winch”, that I’ve posted, i though it means the same as “crane” (some dictionary proposed it to me) No way…! I did not tried to make an offensive calification about Mrs. Perez-Galdos! It’s not my style of talking about persons I didn’t know …
Sorry if I confused you with that word.
And again: I thank you a lot for giving me a bit of your time… It’s a nice thing we don’t find easily in the web today…
Thanks

De nada, @ santadaniel

Ay, si. Tienes razón. Now I’m putting it together. Yes, crane and winch can be the same thing. Winch can also be a slur toward a woman, though I could be misspelling it, which is easy to do with English. Spelling in English is harder than in Spanish.

Good day @mriana.
…no creas …no creas amiga! en español también encuentras palabras que con sólo cambiar una letra se convierten en un horrible insulto o, peor, todo lo contrario de lo que quieres decir.
But, the good notice is that: here we are! You are trying to improve your Spanish speech, and I´m doing it with my English… It’s a very good thing, don’t you believe?
Sigamos escribiendo, pues (I love writing! )
Veo que compartimos algunas cosas que pueden hacer una buena charla entre nosotros.
I saw you are also a cat lover, and so do I. That is one of the biggest things we got in common. I do have granddaughters (two), and older suns too; so I’m thinking our ages are not very different…
Y por supuesto, si estás en este foro además compartimos (y no es menor) una pasión por las ideas del Profesor Dawking. Así que muchas cosas en común, ya ves…
And, thi is very important for me, you’re a woman. I love to talk with people like you. We (men I mean) always need your help to understand things that require a X chromosome we do not have… :wink:
Así que te invito a seguir charlando. Por ejemplo, ahora estoy leyendo “The ancestor 's tale” (in spanish, but the translation was made by a different person… jajaja). Es apasionante; Dawkins se explica con tanta claridad que resulta tan ameno como leer los verdaderos Cuentos de Canterbury de Chaucer.
Have a good time mriana, and take care of yourself.
cheers!
@daniel

Si y acento también.

Yes, but it’s difficult. Writing is harder than speaking. Leer es fácil.

Me encantan los gatos y tengo tres nietos. Sí, probablemente estamos cerca en edades.

Mi esposo también le gusta hablar conmigo. Así es como nos conocimos. lol En realidad, mi esposo y yo somos fanáticos de Star Trek. He is Vulcan and I am Betazoid- at least as conventions. lol I’ve not read Canterbury Tales yet.

So… you and your husband are passengers aboard the Enterprise galactic ship ? …wow! what an adventure! It would be very nice be there, looking all the time all these worlds of wonder…
cheers to you both then, and also to captain Kirk… have good trip!

By the way, I have a question for you: you use the word “lof” repeatedly ¿what is it meaning? I don’t know it…

Si, por supuesto escribir es más difícil pero pienso que ayudará para aprender mejor, el idioma inglés en mi caso.

Mi mención a Los cuentos de Canterbury se refiere al libro que estoy leyendo ahora del Prof. Dawkins (The ancestor’s tale) El hace la comparación de su libro con la obra de Chaucer… yo tampoco lo leí. The ancestor’s tales is very impressive, I’m loving this book! Have you read it?
Un saludo a ti y a tu esposo!
@santadaniel

Sí. Gracias.

“lol” is an abbreviation or shorthand for “laugh out loud”. It’s a common abbreviation among English speakers, even in the UK.

Escribir en español es difícil porque hay mucho más en qué pensar, como la ortografía, la gramática, la estructura de las oraciones.

Of course, English is harder concerning spelling. Spanish has 5 vowels which always sound the same: example- “i” always sounds like a long “e” in Spanish, not so with English. For example, “libre” (free, freedom) is easy to spell, because the long “e” sound is always “i” and the long “a” sound is always “e”. Now let’s take the English word “impressive”- the “i” has two different sounds. Another example is “o” in “hot” “hoot” and “tote”. All three "o"s have different sounds and there are as many rules for English spelling as there are verb conjugations in Spanish. “O” is always “o” in Spanish. Which brings us back to “winch” and “wench”- they sound alike, but are spelled differently and the brain doesn’t always function right at the end of a long day. That sort of spelling doesn’t happen very often in Spanish, if at all. I learned how to spell in Spanish before I could spell in English. Mi madre y mi tía aprendieron español primero y me enseñaron algo antes de que yo aprendiera en la escuela. Mi primera muñeca, llamada Muñeca, que mi tía obtuvo de Méjico cuando mi madre me llevaba. I still have Muñeca, but she’s showing her age more than I am. lol My English and Spanish was broken in Kindergarten. True homegrown Spanglish. Teacher spoke to mi madre, thinking she was Mejicana and surprised she wasn’t, said the other niños no comprende mi. Yeah, I was a mess and sometimes I still do that for fun. Pero back and forth, back and forth, muy malo, pero divertido.

At work, I was talking to a supervisor, who is Latino, and I said, “Nellie needs your assistance, por favor.” I do that to mi esposo sometimes too. The other day I was listening to a Spanish video lesson, which taught the word “cuervo” (crow) and my husband asked, “If “cuervo” means “crow” what does Jose Cuervo mean?” I replied, “I don’t know. Joseph Crow?” He’s not forgotten the word though and I never voiced, that while funny, the question made me want to roll my eyes. Diversión con español.

That said though, reading Spanish is easy for me, speaking it not so much, and writing is hard due to having to think about more. Mi español es muy malo. I’m awful with verbs and still have to look them up to get them right. Love my Spanish verb book and Spanish spell check. Anyway, that’s a brief history of how or why I may see writing as more difficult.

Not yet. I haven’t heard of it yet.

Muchas gracias.

1 Like

So… I could say lol about your Spanglish speaking and writing too!
Es una forma de hablar chistosa, es verdad. Típica de la frontera entre México y los Estados Unidos
I must confess to you I was tempted to use the Spanglish language in my first post, but I do prefer to make the effort of learning a bit more with every message. (By the way, if you see me using the idiom in a wrong way, I´d appreciate your comment)
Como también espero que aprecies estos cambios de idioma en algunos párrafos como un ejercicio para ayudarte a mejorar el dominio del español. Que lo tienes, y muy bueno!

I think these messages are falling out of the subject in the forum, don´t you think?
So, if you agree, I propose you to switch to tradicional email (In fact, I’m answering now from gmail, not in the CFI site) …if you agree with that idea, I`ll be sending you my gmail address soon.

About these ‘Tales of the ancestors’, I recommend them to you and your husband if you are interested in following the ideas of Dr. Dawkins in relation to the origin and evolution of life.
It`s very clear and explains in simple language the processes that were transforming the inert matter of our planet into the living beings that we find today, including us and all those that existed in the past.
Have a good day @mriana!

Si.

Lo es, pero divertido.

I get that, and I will. Even I must admit, if you want to learn a language, it’s really not good to flip back and forth in a sentence. However, if speaking to people who mostly speak English, it happens sometimes that one speaks Spanglish.

Sí. Gracias. Como dije, necesito práctica o no será más fácil.

I was thinking about this topic, or the way we are using this topic to communicate with each other, and I’ve found that -for you and me- it has derived to some kind of “English - Spanish, teaching and learning doing it” or something similar… :wink:
So, I thought “Could we create that topic?” “Would there be some other people interested in having such an experience?” …may be yes or may be not.
But I keep thinking (…as you can imagine now @mriana, thinking is a big deal in my actual life :-))) I mean: LOL!
And thought: It’s true that this site doesn’t have a Spanish section by now… and also: and (I know it very well! You know that…) there are translations of Dr. Dawkins ideas circulating that are very poor as I see them.
Entonces amiga @mriana: ¿Será este el momento para que nosotros empecemos una traducción de alguna parte en particular de este sitio? ¿Podremos poner eso a disposición de los visitantes hispano hablantes?
Por supuesto, sería una contribución voluntaria y desinteresada de nuestra parte que deberían aprobar los administradores de CFI… pero:
What do you think? Would you accompany such a proposal?
I leave that for your weekend thoughts…
Anyway, I’m sure, if we do that, our translations would be done carefully, assuring readers would find better ways to express an idea for ‘crane’ that reflexes, in a clairly way, the idea of evolution acting as a sucesion of facts …
and not a “grúa” as Mrs. Perez-Galdos translated it (or perhaps just Google translator did!)

bye bye amiga @mriana, have a nice weekend with your family!
ps: by the way, the mail is santadaniel@gmail.com
cheers!

I believe that is spelled “wench”

What is a female winch?

May 19, 2016 yanira.vargas. “Wench” began as a general term for a girl or woman, and over the centuries acquired a variety of meanings, including female servant, lower-class female, and prostitute . It is mostly used today as a jokingly affectionate archaic allusion to Shakespearean ribaldry. May 19, 2016

wench / winch

The hoisting or hauling mechanism attached to a tow truck is a winch (and it’s not on a “toe truck”).

If a woman can lift your car, she’s not a wench—she’s an Amazon!

https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/19/wench-winch/

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah, I realized that sometime after I said it. It is a very good example of what I was talking about and even said that in a later post. That and I also said it’s easier to spell in Spanish than English because of such words. :smile_cat:

Ops!
“Houston, I think there is a miss here…” more or less as Mr. Swigert said.
You’d answered me a question I don’t make in the topic “write4us”, and I think you’ve not seen a message in the forum “Introduce yourself” on Dec. 18…
Would you check this, please?

No, @santdaniel, it was a comment I made. I confused the spelling and in another post I sort of corrected it, then in another I mentioned that it’s hard to spell in English because of words sounding alike, but are spelled differently and also the meaning changes based on the spelling.