Violence

Both in the culture and as a means to conflict resolution.
It’s pretty obvious that US culture is saturated with violence. Some view it as an unfortunate but grim necessity at times and others as glorious warfare, a chance to blow things up and vanquish your enemies.
But should violence be an option at all. I know peaceful talks aren’t always possible and may not even work, but does killing really resolve the issue any better?
I know that in an ideal world some would say that we could all talk out our differences. But reality isn’t like that. Sometimes diagreements come to blows or worse and you need a way to defend yourself (as a last resort).
I’m just concerned that due to a violent culture that t would be a first resort, especially when it’s glamorized in the media and most other forms of entertainment.
Thoughts?

My expository writing professor would have told you to narrow your theme.

My expository writing professor would have told you to narrow your theme.
Hmm, you're right. That's kind of broad. Ok. How about the glamorization of violence and the odds of using it most of the time as conflict resolution? In other words, does our violent culture make people more prone to see violence as a solution. Also, why do we enjoy violence in media so much?
...How about the glamorization of violence and the odds of using it most of the time as conflict resolution? In other words, does our violent culture make people more prone to see violence as a solution.
Probably sometimes for some people in some situations, but generally, I think that most people, most of the time, are well able to discern fiction from reality (in regards to violence and the prospective use of violence).
Also, why do we enjoy violence in media so much?
Consider our evolutionary and cultural heritage.

Is that why we still find it entertaining? Why we continue to use it in movies and video games?

Is that why we still find it entertaining? Why we continue to use it in movies and video games?
Pretty much. All wild animals, (which we all, pretty much, were once in the course of our evolution) have to be acutely aware of potential violence. And in particular predatory animals have to be skilled in killing other animals in order to survive. We come from a long line of previous humans who also had to, at least partly, be predatory in order to survive. And more recently in human history, our wars and deadly contests, have often been highlighted and even celebrated. Contingencies have changed a lot, so deadly contests are usually not really necessary. In fact, they, now, can make our survival less likely. Only a tiny portion of us, now, ever need to kill anything, in order to survive. But our genetic makeup and our cultural heritage remain part of who we are.
Pretty much. All wild animals, (which we all, pretty much, were once in the course of our evolution) have to be acutely aware of potential violence. And in particular predatory animals have to be skilled in killing other animals in order to survive. We come from a long line of previous humans who also had to, at least partly, be predatory in order to survive. And more recently in human history, our wars and deadly contests, have often been highlighted and even celebrated. Contingencies have changed a lot, so deadly contests are usually not really necessary. In fact, they, now, can make our survival less likely. Only a tiny portion of us, now, ever need to kill anything, in order to survive. But our genetic makeup and our cultural heritage remain part of who we are. Hmm that makes sense. I heard its like thinking with the lizard brain I suppose. (The following are links someone sent me) https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201309/violence-the-media-and-your-brain http://fractalenlightenment.com/35971/issues/breaking-the-spell-of-the-reptilian-brain-from-primitive-brain-to-evolved-mind

What’s all this fuss I hear about violins on television? There should be MORE violins on television and less of that loud rock music.
Emily Litella

Uh, Emily. It is “violence,” not “violins.”
And “free elections in China,” not “flea erections.”
I apologize. It is late, I cannot sleep and I just had a Saturday Night Live flashback.

Uh, Emily. It is "violence," not "violins." And "free elections in China," not "flea erections." I apologize. It is late, I cannot sleep and I just had a Saturday Night Live flashback.
Getting to say "flea erections in China", is well worth feeling a need to submit a subsequent apology, IMO.

What about that stuff with the lizard brain I mentioned?

Pretty much. All wild animals, (which we all, pretty much, were once in the course of our evolution) have to be acutely aware of potential violence. And in particular predatory animals have to be skilled in killing other animals in order to survive. We come from a long line of previous humans who also had to, at least partly, be predatory in order to survive. And more recently in human history, our wars and deadly contests, have often been highlighted and even celebrated. Contingencies have changed a lot, so deadly contests are usually not really necessary. In fact, they, now, can make our survival less likely. Only a tiny portion of us, now, ever need to kill anything, in order to survive. But our genetic makeup and our cultural heritage remain part of who we are. Hmm that makes sense. I heard its like thinking with the lizard brain I suppose. (The following are links someone sent me) https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201309/violence-the-media-and-your-brain http://fractalenlightenment.com/35971/issues/breaking-the-spell-of-the-reptilian-brain-from-primitive-brain-to-evolved-mind Re: the 1st link. I think that it is a good idea to restrict kids (whose brains are still forming rapidly) from very violent and very realistic video games. Re: the 2nd link. It echoes a lot of my thoughts on the matter.

What do you mean by echoes?

Uh, Emily. It is "violence," not "violins." And "free elections in China," not "flea erections." I apologize. It is late, I cannot sleep and I just had a Saturday Night Live flashback.
Getting to say "flea erections in China", is well worth feeling a need to submit a subsequent apology, IMO. Oh, that's very different. Never mind. :)
thinking along the same lines
thinking along the same lines I know that. I was sort of hoping for a more detailed response as to what those lines are.
thinking along the same lines I know that. I was sort of hoping for a more detailed response as to what those lines are. A little taste of your own medicine there Tita
thinking along the same lines I know that. I was sort of hoping for a more detailed response as to what those lines are. I don't feel like going to that much effort for you. I'm sure you will understand.
thinking along the same lines I know that. I was sort of hoping for a more detailed response as to what those lines are. I don't feel like going to that much effort for you. I'm sure you will understand. Your certainty is misplaced then.
thinking along the same lines I know that. I was sort of hoping for a more detailed response as to what those lines are. I don't feel like going to that much effort for you. I'm sure you will understand. Your certainty is misplaced then. Sorry, I thought you would relate to my not having an over-abundance of empathic motivation to go thru the process of laboriously sorting thru key points in the article that most align with my thinking, for your benefit. Also, you seem intelligent enough to eventually figure it out for yourself.