Vegetarianism and Mental Illness

Interesting study on vegetarians.

People who avoid meat consumption tend to have worse psychological health than those who eat meat, according to new research published in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. The study, which did not draw any conclusions about causation, found that vegetarians/vegans were at a greater risk of depression, anxiety, and self-harm.
This isn't evidence that not eating meat leads to mental illness, but that a strong correlation exists there. Of course this is not surprising to anybody who has known vegetarians. It stood out to me because it sort of dovetails into some of the discussion in the antinatalism thread, as the kind of people who are attracted to these lifestyles have some things in common, e.g. environmentalism.

I eat meat but would like to avoid doing so if I could. The thought of killing animals - the way we cold bloodedly farm them for food - is somewhat disturbing. This doesn’t stop me from shopping for bacon and feasting on a New York strip now and then. I guess I am a vegetarian at heart, and this nagging conflict in me could count as a black mark on my psychological health.

MMMm, I could go for a big rib eye steak, right now. Do you think it will cure my TDS?

I think that I will despise T rump just as much, with or without the rib eye, but I will be happy while eating that meat.

I eat meat but would like to avoid doing so if I could. The thought of killing animals – the way we cold bloodedly farm them for food – is somewhat disturbing. This doesn’t stop me from shopping for bacon and feasting on a New York strip now and then. I guess I am a vegetarian at heart, and this nagging conflict in me could count as a black mark on my psychological health.
Being uncomfortable with how animals are killed is pretty normal, though dwelling on it could potentially cause some mental illness.
Being uncomfortable with how animals are killed is pretty normal, though dwelling on it could potentially cause some mental illness.
Ok, I won't dwell on it. Tomorrow is Friday, the day I go to shop at the butcher's. Rib eye sounds good. I will wolf it down medium rare like a cowboy on the range with slugs of Woodford Reserve instead of a full bodied Barolo like a cultivated wuzz.