Utah Returns to Firing Squad; Books on Gary Gilmore

Apparently, they are so blood-thirsty in Utah, they MUST have death penalty, no matter what.

Gardner chose to die by this arcane method, explaining his decision with the memorable phrase: “I lived by the gun, I murdered with a gun, I will die by the gun." His death was reminiscent of the most famous execution in modern American history – that of Gary Gilmore, whose death in Utah in 1977 was turned into literature by Norman Mailer in The Executioner’s Song.
“Gary never raised a finger," Mailer wrote. “Didn’t quiver at all. His left hand never moved, and then, after he was shot, his head went forward, but the strap held his head up, and then the right hand slowly rose in the air and slowly went down as if to say, ‘That did it, gentlemen.’"
Although The Executioner’s Song got all the publicity, there is a better book written about Gary Gilmore by his brother, Mikal Gilmore, called A Shot in the Heart. It tells the story by someone who knew and grew up with Gilmore.
I have not read The Executioner’s song, so don’t know if Mailer goes onto the influence of the Mormon religion on Gary Gilmore and why it led him to choose the firing squad, but Mikal Gilmore’s book does’ from the inside, and it’s well worth reading. One of the most compelling, well-written books I’ve read and I recommend highly. Probably out of print, but available at libraries and used book sites.

Executions suck. No argument.
What’s the issue here, do you see firing squad as less humane than electrical sizzling, or chemical blood boiling?

If I was going to be executed and I could pick the method, I’d take the firing squad.
Seems better then the rest.

Executions suck. No argument. What's the issue here, do you see firing squad as less humane than electrical sizzling, or chemical blood boiling?
I'm against any form of capital punishment, but I see Utah as blood thirsty. They are reintroducing the firing squad because problems with lethal injection have effectively stopped executions. People in charge in Utah have apparently decided they'll have none of that. If they can't do it by lethal injection, they'll do it by firing squad. There are only 8 people awaiting execution in Utah. i guess they just can't stand having all those people on death row. They have to find a way to kill them right away! Lois
Executions suck. No argument. What's the issue here, do you see firing squad as less humane than electrical sizzling, or chemical blood boiling?
I'm against any form of capital punishment, but I see Utah as blood thirsty. They are reintroducing the firing squad because problems with lethal injection have effectively stopped executions. People in charge in Utah have apparently decided they'll have none of that. If they can't do it by lethal injection, they'll do it by firing squad. There are only 8 people awaiting execution in Utah. i guess they just can't stand having all those people on death row. They have to find a way to kill them right away! LoisWell ain't that American, home of the free… little pink houses for you and me…. :blank: And this way they don't have to deal with those pesky bleeding hearts worrying about chemical cocktails - besides it's the next obvious move after
Utah Governor Gary Herbert signed the bill into law this week, designating the Browning model M1911 automatic pistol as the official state firearm. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/18/us-automatic-pistol-utah-idUSTRE72H08Z20110318
hell, with that baby they could take care of all of 'em at one time. Now wouldn't that make a great country and western song.
If I was going to be executed and I could pick the method, I'd take the firing squad. Seems better then the rest.
Nah. Firing squads fire from a distance, meaning they may miss. For going out quickly and painlessly, a rifle straight to the back of the head is the way to go.
I'm against any form of capital punishment, but I see Utah as blood thirsty. They are reintroducing the firing squad because problems with lethal injection have effectively stopped executions. People in charge in Utah have apparently decided they'll have none of that. If they can't do it by lethal injection, they'll do it by firing squad. There are only 8 people awaiting execution in Utah. i guess they just can't stand having all those people on death row. They have to find a way to kill them right away! LoisWell ain't that American, home of the free… little pink houses for you and me…. :blank: And this way they don't have to deal with those pesky bleeding hearts worrying about chemical cocktails - besides it's the next obvious move after
Utah Governor Gary Herbert signed the bill into law this week, designating the Browning model M1911 automatic pistol as the official state firearm. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/18/us-automatic-pistol-utah-idUSTRE72H08Z20110318
hell, with that baby they could take care of all of 'em at one time. Now wouldn't that make a great country and western song. Indeed,yes. It's really important for a state to have a state fiream, too. Maykes ya proud to be an Amerkan. Lois

Oklahoma is considering using nitrogen to execute people.

Executions suck. No argument.
It would really depend on which end of the rifle you are on. I believe it is common practice that at least one of the rifles are loaded with a wooden bullet that disintegrates on firing, and the people using the rifles don't know which, so any member of the firing squad can think that he had the wooden bullet and did not actually kill anyone, if they so choose.
Oklahoma is considering using nitrogen to execute people.
I think someone should consider using the surplus atom bombs. That way we could get rid of the bombs and the criminals at the same time. From what I understand there's not much time after the bomb goes off till everything close by is vaporized. Sounds pretty quick to me.
Indeed,yes. It's really important for a state to have a state fiream, too. Maykes ya proud to be an Amerkan. Lois
I believe that some were promoting the Turkey as the National Bird, given the current state of affairs perhaps ole' Ben saw further into the future than we thought.

C’mon people. If you’re going to really give this some serious thought then the guillotine is the ONLY humane method of execution, quick and painless. Even beats sword beheading by a mile. You could miss ya know. Down goes the blade, a quick slice, head in the bucket and body flipped into a wicker casket and Bob’s your Uncle yer man’s a gonner! Hey, it was good enough for king Louie and twenty thousand if his loyal followers.
Cap’t Jack

C'mon people. If you're going to really give this some serious thought then the guillotine is the ONLY humane method of execution, quick and painless. Even beats sword beheading by a mile. You could miss ya know. Down goes the blade, a quick slice, head in the bucket and body flipped into a wicker casket and Bob's your Uncle yer man's a gonner! Hey, it was good enough for king Louie and twenty thousand if his loyal followers. Cap't Jack
How about burning at the stake? Not only is it a sure way to execute someone, it provides spectacular entertainmemt. Of course, beheading and hanging do, too. Back in the days when people were hanged for picking pockets, the crowd would gather at the public hangings and the surviving pickpockets would have a field day. Lois
C'mon people. If you're going to really give this some serious thought then the guillotine is the ONLY humane method of execution, quick and painless. Even beats sword beheading by a mile. You could miss ya know. Down goes the blade, a quick slice, head in the bucket and body flipped into a wicker casket and Bob's your Uncle yer man's a gonner! Hey, it was good enough for king Louie and twenty thousand if his loyal followers. Cap't Jack
I read about an experiment where a French Scientist, in the interest of science, volunteered to go to the guillotine to measure how long the brain would be conscious after the decapitation. The experiment consisted of the scientist blinking his eyes after the blade came down to verify how long he was conscious. I don't remember the results and I don't believe it was repeated, but death was not instantaneous, I don't recall any mention of painless. http://europeanhistory.about.com/od/thefrenchrevolution/a/dyk10.htm
How about burning at the stake? Not only is it a sure way to execute someone, it provides spectacular entertainmemt. Lois
And in the dead of winter, it will keep everyone warm.
How about burning at the stake? Not only is it a sure way to execute someone, it provides spectacular entertainmemt. Lois
And in the dead of winter, it will keep everyone warm. I see what you did there.