Trump continues his march toward Autocracy

“Bob Hawke, and darling of the left, finally died”

Darling of the left?? He was the father of neoliberialism in australia and dismantling the trade unions

But there were times that we were SO CLOSE to history going a different way. The 2000 election, stolen over some hanging chads. We might have started the new millennium actually doing something to stop climate change. 9/11 and the Iraq war might never have happened. And even Trump’s improbable win required a trove of various factors in combination and with propitious timing to have happened.

We have sometimes been so close to not being exposed as blatant A-holes.

Then not learning the lessons,

Obama doing next to nothing to raise an organized grassroots built on awareness and willingness to stand up for our principles and winning in 2014 instead of handing our Capital over to the GOP - then the obvious fatal mistakes in 2016, watching them unfold, begging with the TV for Clinton and Democrats to step it up - talk TO We The People. Face the questions and doubts that Americans had about her, reframe the problem, informant and motivate your base and they will bring along a party. But, like the guy with monkey on his back, playing his organ, it’s alway the same tune, and half sure enough half the folks stayed away from the party. …

Regardless of the lack of perfection of Obama and especially of Clinton’s sub par candidacy, we the voters failed. I knew that a Trump victory would lead us down the road toward hell. U knew that, but not enough of our fellow voters were able to come to that simple realization.

Speaking of great political leaders, one who I believe has been vastly under-rated was Jimmy Carter. Anyone remember how many wars and military actions he got us involved in?

Jimmy Carter’s admin. No bullet fired. No bomb dropped.

“Jimmy Carter’s admin. No bullet fired. No bomb dropped.”

Tim, don’t know how close to reality is my perception of Jimmy Carter: A good man, but a poor president.

His activities since leaving office suggest he may be a great man.

He is clearly a good Christian, in the seeking to be Christ-like sense (not in the more popular hypocritical versions of Christianity these days.) He also did some impressive things in foreign affairs, as POTUS, as I recall.

“He is clearly a good Christian, in the seeking to be Christ-like sense (not in the more popular hypocritical versions of Christianity these days.) He also did some impressive things in foreign affairs, as POTUS, as I recall.”

Yeah, it was my perception that president Carter was like my late mother, a 'small ‘c’ christian. IE a person who gives witness to their Christian faith by the way they live, rather than by what they say.

When I was at my Catholic high school, living the way Mr Carter seems to live was called ’ living the apostolate’

It’s a wonder the guy got out of Washington alive.

Did f@@k all for the palestinians when president

In one term, ONE TERM, Carter 1) negotiated handover of the Panama Canal to Panama, 2) got normalized relations with the People’s Republic of China, and 3) accomplished the herculean task of establishing peace between Egypt and Israel. Jimmy frikkin Carter did that.