The Wisdom of Islam

Despite the ‘bad press’ that Islam gets, are there not some elements of Sharia law that we in the west would be wise to adopt in order to tackle the many social problems that exist in our so-called ‘advanced’ cultures?

There might be, but it would be coincidental. Ideas stand or fall on their own.
So, in addition to a Russian hacker, troll, racist, homophobe, you’re an ISIS recruiter too!

There might be, but it would be coincidental. Ideas stand or fall on their own. So, in addition to a Russian hacker, troll, racist, homophobe, you're an ISIS recruiter too!
Never even been to Russia. :roll:

No, I wouldn’t go that far. We have our own ways of handling social decay. Sharia is 100% incompatible with western society.

No, I wouldn't go that far. We have our own ways of handling social decay. Sharia is 100% incompatible with western society.
Indeed it is, but this was kind of the point I was making: that western society has many problems that need addressing. I also wouldn't think it was possible to apply Sharia law in its 'pure' state but may be more practical to adapt some of its principle ideologies. After all, Muslims living in western countries have had adapt their culture to the host's way of living, so why not the other way?
No, I wouldn't go that far. We have our own ways of handling social decay. Sharia is 100% incompatible with western society.
Indeed it is, but this was kind of the point I was making: that western society has many problems that need addressing. I also wouldn't think it was possible to apply Sharia law in its 'pure' state but may be more practical to adapt some of its principle ideologiesNothing from Sharia would be adaptable. Another problem with this idea is Muslims would be hella offended and willing to fight over it.
After all, Muslims living in western countries have had adapt their culture to the host's way of living, so why not the other way?
Doubtful many westerners would desire that. It'd be more trouble than it's worth, anyway.
Indeed it is, but this was kind of the point I was making: that western society has many problems that need addressing. I also wouldn't think it was possible to apply Sharia law in its 'pure' state but may be more practical to adapt some of its principle ideologiesNothing from Sharia would be adaptable. Another problem with this idea is Muslims would be hella offended and willing to fight over it.
After all, Muslims living in western countries have had adapt their culture to the host's way of living, so why not the other way?
Doubtful many westerners would desire that. It'd be more trouble than it's worth, anyway. You would think so yes, but here in the UK Muslims have their own councils that Muslims often refer to for advice and guidance by 'elders.' Now, this does not invalidate UK law, however, Sharia law seems alive and healthy, at least in the UK, and may eventually informerly replace some official laws. I have heard of the way some Muslim women are treated over here by their own community yet the media chooses to largely ignore this, presumably in the interests of 'diversity.'
Despite the 'bad press' that Islam gets, are there not some elements of Sharia law that we in the west would be wise to adopt in order to tackle the many social problems that exist in our so-called 'advanced' cultures?
Can you be more specific? Give some examples. Lois
Despite the 'bad press' that Islam gets, are there not some elements of Sharia law that we in the west would be wise to adopt in order to tackle the many social problems that exist in our so-called 'advanced' cultures?
Can you be more specific? Give some examples. Lois Well, for example, more conservative dress for women, more control over explicit sexual content, more discipline for our children, less commercialization on the media, more control over overtly sexual concerts, etc. A ban on excessively violent video games, etc. More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition. :-)

Sexuality seems to be a big issue for you.
What about learning to understand and respect each other - the humans inside, rather than the shells we create around ourselves?
I ask because all the hostility towards sexuality seem to be consistently contrived and superficial and
a look below the surface at the humans who promulgate the LAWS/RULES always reveals cheats and con artists and surprising many genuine sexual deviants at it’s heart.
You play on the surface of human feelings and needs - never seeming interested in fathoming the depths of what it means to be human, live our lives,
and interact with those around us.
We are very social animals, and our enjoyment of sex, was one of the foundations for use reaching beyond the rest of our animal brethren.
That attitude towards sex you display is at the kindergarten level humanity.

Can you be more specific? Give some examples. Lois Well, for example, more conservative dress for women, more control over explicit sexual content, more discipline for our children, less commercialization on the media, more control over overtly sexual concerts, etc. A ban on excessively violent video games, etc. More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition. :-) The title of this thread is a worthless point to discuss. Even the worst criminal in the world is not absolutely unwise; and there probably are a few things in his/her character that civilized human beings could respect or even emulate. But the world does not need advocates for emulating him/her. The world needs people and leaders who would think, would have the senses of right and wrong, and would do the right things without connecting any of the senses with any of the primitive, unjust, hateful and barbaric edicts proclaimed by crooks in the name of the concoction and imagination called God. Muslims in the West should assimilate with the Western freedom, including freedom of thought, speech and ways of life. There should be no Muslim ghetto anywhere in the West. The civilized world, with its obvious limits, should try to impart senses of freedom in the lands where that hardly exists; and they should not admit in their territories people who are unlikely to assimilate. BTW, webplodder, as for your examples above, I would not take them (and not all of them are good) from Islam. I would use my common sense to promote/accept some of them; and my common sense surely did not come from any book of Islam.
Can you be more specific? Give some examples. Lois Well, for example, more conservative dress for women, more control over explicit sexual content, more discipline for our children, less commercialization on the media, more control over overtly sexual concerts, etc. A ban on excessively violent video games, etc. More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition. :-) How do you do that in a democracy? Who would impose and enforce such rules? Do you think women citizens are going to agree to having their clothing dictated? How would you go about requiring more discipline for children? How would you go about requiring less commercialization in the media and control over "sexual" concerts? How would you ban violent video games? How would you require religious teaching when we have separation of church and state? Have you overlooked the fact that the US Is a democracy with a bill of rights and no one can impose such laws without the consent of the people? As it is now Congress can theoretically pass such laws but their constituents would not allow it. Do you realize that the US is not a dictatorship? Are you suggesting that it become one? That's the only way you could get such laws passed and enforced. Do you understand what civil rights are and why our Constitution guarantees them? Lois

Since the person who started this rubbish thread made the following comments also, let me make my final comments on this thread: “Well, for example, more conservative dress for women, more control over explicit sexual content, more discipline for our children, less commercialization on the media, more control over overtly sexual concerts, etc. A ban on excessively violent video games, etc. More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition." If I see any worthy comment in response to my comments, I will start a new thread to respond.
‘more conservative dress for women’
My Comment: Not worth discussing in a congress of intelligent human beings.
‘more control over explicit sexual content’, ‘more discipline for our children’, ‘less commercialization on the media’, ‘more control over overtly sexual concerts’
My Comment: Worth discussing.
‘A ban on excessively violent video games’
My Comment: Should be seriously discussed.
‘More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition.’
My Comments: Leave the civilized world, and go to an Islamic jungle. The world should cut down all religions and progressively get rid of all religious teachings/traditions. Education should foster free thinking and inquiry.

Since the person who started this rubbish thread made the following comments also, let me make my final comments on this thread: “Well, for example, more conservative dress for women, more control over explicit sexual content, more discipline for our children, less commercialization on the media, more control over overtly sexual concerts, etc. A ban on excessively violent video games, etc. More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition." If I see any worthy comment in response to my comments, I will start a new thread to respond. ‘more conservative dress for women’ My Comment: Not worth discussing in a congress of intelligent human beings. ‘more control over explicit sexual content’, ‘more discipline for our children’, ‘less commercialization on the media’, ‘more control over overtly sexual concerts’ My Comment: Worth discussing. ‘A ban on excessively violent video games’ My Comment: Should be seriously discussed. ‘More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition.’ My Comments: Leave the civilized world, and go to an Islamic jungle. The world should cut down all religions and progressively get rid of all religious teachings/traditions. Education should foster free thinking and inquiry.
Good ideas. See if you can get the ball rolling with Congress and the general population. There is apparently much discussion going on among the population on these topics already. Let us know if you have any success.
Doubtful many westerners would desire that. It'd be more trouble than it's worth, anyway. You would think so yes, but here in the UK Muslims have their own councils that Muslims often refer to for advice and guidance by 'elders.' Now, this does not invalidate UK law, however, Sharia law seems alive and healthy, at least in the UK, and may eventually informerly replace some official laws. I have heard of the way some Muslim women are treated over here by their own community yet the media chooses to largely ignore this, presumably in the interests of 'diversity.' Reminds me of this

They can use Sharia among themselves. No one is going to stop them unless it breaks a law. But when it comes to a Muslim doing something agaimst UK law, they will be tried and sentenced under UK law. Sharia will have no effect. It’s the same in the US. They can use Sharia among themselves for anything that doesn’t imterfere with US law. US law is paramount. I’m sure some Muslims would like to be able to apply Sharia law to crimes the state handles but that’s not going to happen in any democracy.

They can use Sharia among themselves. No one is going to stop them unless it breaks a law. But when it comes to a Muslim doing something agaimst UK law, they will be tried and sentenced under UK law. Sharia will have no effect. It's the same in the US. They can use Sharia among themselves for anything that doesn't imterfere with US law. US law is paramount. I'm sure some Muslims would like to be able to apply Sharia law to crimes the state handles but that's not going to happen in any democracy.
True, but it is a question of how stringent the official laws are applied. There's a lot that goes on which is swept under the carpet and yes, when, such practices are exposed by the media action is taken but it seems to be a question of a conflict between the rights of minority groups to maintain their culture and how much such rights come into conflict with the official policies of the host country. very often, people seem only to willing to turn a blind eye to things that go on because it is not PC to cause a stir.
Since the person who started this rubbish thread made the following comments also, let me make my final comments on this thread: “Well, for example, more conservative dress for women, more control over explicit sexual content, more discipline for our children, less commercialization on the media, more control over overtly sexual concerts, etc. A ban on excessively violent video games, etc. More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition." If I see any worthy comment in response to my comments, I will start a new thread to respond. ‘more conservative dress for women’ My Comment: Not worth discussing in a congress of intelligent human beings. ‘more control over explicit sexual content’, ‘more discipline for our children’, ‘less commercialization on the media’, ‘more control over overtly sexual concerts’ My Comment: Worth discussing. ‘A ban on excessively violent video games’ My Comment: Should be seriously discussed. ‘More religious teaching in the Islamic tradition.’ My Comments: Leave the civilized world, and go to an Islamic jungle. The world should cut down all religions and progressively get rid of all religious teachings/traditions. Education should foster free thinking and inquiry.
Good ideas. See if you can get the ball rolling with Congress and the general population. There is apparently much discussion going on among the population on these topics already. Let us know if you have any success. I'm wondering why you don't think modest dress in public isn't worth discussing. I'm not suggesting that women wear the full Burqa or even any kind of veil but don't you think that women flaunting themselves in public is in bad taste and just doing themselves down by presenting themselves as sex-objects? But then, many women seem to want to do as they please without the concomitant of taking any responsibility in our liberalized western milieu.
Good ideas. See if you can get the ball rolling with Congress and the general population. There is apparently much discussion going on among the population on these topics already. Let us know if you have any success. I'm wondering why you don't think modest dress in public isn't worth discussing. I'm not suggesting that women wear the full Burqa or even any kind of veil but don't you think that women flaunting themselves in public is in bad taste and just doing themselves down by presenting themselves as sex-objects? But then, many women seem to want to do as they please without the concomitant of taking any responsibility in our liberalized western milieu. Just like men do as they please, including expecting women to dress as some of them, such as you, decide. You have a perfect right to discuss what modest dress in public is. Nobody will stop you. What "flaunting themselves in public" means is not defined or agreed upon by the general public. Whether it's in bad taste is also a matter of opinion. Whether women are presenting themselves as sex objects is also not agreed upon. What you see as "flaunting themselves in public" or "presenting themselves as sex objects" is not how a lot of other people see it. All humans want to do as they please, including you, incidentally--but you want the rest of the world to do as YOU dictate. What "taking responsibility" is and whether we live in a "liberalized westerm milieu," whatever that's supposed to mean, is also a matter of opinion. You have apparently decided what YOU think proper dress for women is, what presenting oneself as a sex object amounts to, and what taking responsibility in a "liberalized western milieu" is, and you want to impose your standards on everyone else, even those who disagree with you. Other people have their own standards. Why should yours be accepted as the right thing to do? What gives you or anyone the right to set standards for anyone else in a democracy? Lois
Good ideas. See if you can get the ball rolling with Congress and the general population. There is apparently much discussion going on among the population on these topics already. Let us know if you have any success. I'm wondering why you don't think modest dress in public isn't worth discussing. I'm not suggesting that women wear the full Burqa or even any kind of veil but don't you think that women flaunting themselves in public is in bad taste and just doing themselves down by presenting themselves as sex-objects? But then, many women seem to want to do as they please without the concomitant of taking any responsibility in our liberalized western milieu.I don't know how it is where you live, but most women do dress modestly in America.